Telltale Games Game of Thrones

Teeem3000

Just saw if a video on IGN saying that the devs behind The Walking Dead series and The Wolf Among Us are making a new Game of Thrones game. No word if it's based on ASOIAF or HBO GOT yet. Telltale makes pretty awesome games, with mature storytelling based heavily on decision and consequence. They're more adventure games with quality action sequences, like the pc games of old, rather than hack and slash rpgs.

So if this turns out to be true, it's the best news us gamers could ever hope for. Unless CD Projekt Red was making one too. :leer:

Played episode 1 of the Walking Dead game. The story was good but the gameplay was basically non-existent. While I'm happy that someone with some talent is developing a ASoIaF related game, I'm kind of disappointed that it wasn't Bethesda or BioWare who got to do it. Either way, looking forward to it!

About 99.5% certain that it will be based on the TV show, not the books, if true, per our thoughts on the matter here.

Well, actually I think it doesn't matter if the game is going to be based on the TV show or the books, because they aren't that different afterall. The Walking Dead tv series and the comic books are massively different, they are two completely different canons, so Telltale obviously had to make a choice when it adapted its videogame. As for GoT/ASoI&F, the point in being based on the TV show or the books probably will effect only whether the actors of the show will do voice acting and whether the character design will resemble their appearance.

But I think the videogame will be an original story set in the same universe with only occasional nods to the original material, just like The Walking Dead: The Videogame was, hence the distinction will be even more irrelevant. My dream game would be an adaptation of Robert's Rebellion, but I think it would spoil Jon Snow's true parentage. Maybe we'll have Aegon's conquest, Dunk and Egg or other event in the history of Westeros.

I think my thoughts run more to the fact that a game based on the TV show will be ASoIaF, as filtered through HBO, as filtered through Telltale Games. It's a further remove from the source. This will not only impact character designs -- it will impact setting design in general, characterization of canonical characters (some of them are rather different from the originals, as GRRM himself has noted), and perhaps there will be various stylistic sensibilities of the show in the game that are not necessarily present in ASoIaF.

It will indeed almost certainly be an original side-story, much as with their Walking Dead game.

Played episode 1 of the Walking Dead game. The story was good but the gameplay was basically non-existent. While I'm happy that someone with some talent is developing a ASoIaF related game, I'm kind of disappointed that it wasn't Bethesda or BioWare who got to do it. Either way, looking forward to it!

Yea, dude. I wished some AAA developer was trying to tackle this endeavor. I always salivate at the thought of an open world action-rpg set in Westeros. To have free reign from the Arbor to the Wall would be incredible, but I don't even know if its possible. The only developer that I can think of with the vision for this would be CD Projekt Red.

I understand the criticism to TWD, it barely can be called a videogame, it's more like and interactive film. Although the gameplay is hindered, there are advantages to this format in regarding the storytelling. When I play Skyrim (and I still play it a lot!), most of the time I barelly pay attention to the dialogs, I just want to do all that fun stuff that I can do. The open world of Skyrim is amazing and the variety of ways we can play it is even more spectacular. But, to be honest, it's story is kind of boring. For starters we control a voiceless dummy with absolutely no personality. Skyrim is awesome gameplay, but weak storytelling.

TWD, on the other hand, has some great characters with which we can truly relate and our actions effect their dispositions toward us. I cried in the end of the TWD, I would never cry playing Skyrim. It permits a much more complex storytelling, which is what ASoI&F is all about. Moreover, ASoI&F has tons of characters and POV chapters, that would be more easily accomplished by a TWD kind of game than by an open-world RPG.

Honestly I think the best way to do it would be either a side story during the WoTFK kind of like they did with Walking Dead (including cameos from say Tyrion, Cat or the like) or Dunk and Egg. Also, they could do do the first in the style of 400 Days where each of the episodes has a different player character.

To me the inherent problem with doing a Robert's Rebellion game is that it can't answer the one question people care most about.

^Honestly the Walking Dead game is a rare western example of a Visual Novel. It was still great and I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Season 2.

My ideal GoT based game would have you in control of one of the major houses (Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy, Tyrell, Martell, Baratheon or Targaryen). You would have different objectives based on the house. For some, the objective would be holding or gaining control of the Iron Throne (Lannister, Baratheon, Targaryen) . But for others, this wouldn't be true, example Stark or Greyjoy the objective might be indepedence of their respective regions. For the Tyrells and Martells, the objective might be influence with the IT through intermarriage and/or council seats, spots on the KG, etc. and bringing other houses to "justice" in the case of the Martells.

Gameplay would be like CAs Total War series, but I would find some way to include roleplaying, court intrigue, diplomacy etc. as thats a major part of the GoT as opposed to just fighting which the TW series is quite good at. On the other hand, you wouldn't need the complex economy and infrastructure management of the TW series, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming or require too much micromanagement.

It woudln't necessarily have to follow book canon, it could be a "what-if" scenario based on the book but not necessarily following all of the books plotlines, e.g. its possible that Ned Stark doesn't die or the RW never happens, etc. Alternatively, it could be a completely alternate reality in which none of the book characters are even in the game.

My ideal GoT based game would have you in control of one of the major houses (Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy, Tyrell, Martell, Baratheon or Targaryen). You would have different objectives based on the house. For some, the objective would be holding or gaining control of the Iron Throne (Lannister, Baratheon, Targaryen) . But for others, this wouldn't be true, example Stark or Greyjoy the objective might be indepedence of their respective regions. For the Tyrells and Martells, the objective might be influence with the IT through intermarriage and/or council seats, spots on the KG, etc. and bringing other houses to "justice" in the case of the Martells.

Gameplay would be like CAs Total War series, but I would find some way to include roleplaying, court intrigue, diplomacy etc. as thats a major part of the GoT as opposed to just fighting which the TW series is quite good at. On the other hand, you wouldn't need the complex economy and infrastructure management of the TW series, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming or require too much micromanagement.

It woudln't necessarily have to follow book canon, it could be a "what-if" scenario based on the book but not necessarily following all of the books plotlines, e.g. its possible that Ned Stark doesn't die or the RW never happens, etc. Alternatively, it could be a completely alternate reality in which none of the book characters are even in the game.

you're basically describing CK2:AGOT

Slightly off-topic, but for those of you who have played it, do you need to have watched the show to play The Walking Dead? I have it here lost amidst my Steam library and want to play it, but haven't watched the show, nor intend to.

No, for one it's actually based on the comics rather than show (and is considered canonical with the comics), it is also a solid stand alone story that does a very good job of establishing the rules of the setting.

Why so limited objectives? Real strategy games let you do whatever you want. Check out Crusader Kings 2 and its GoT mod.

I don't have high exceptions for this kind of game. If it tries to go with the main story, it's doomed to fail. I'd prefer something loosely tied to main story (completely new character and his/her journeys in Westeros with own personal problems and agendas, tying into Wo5K). I can't say I've ever saw any really good license game so I don't have much hopes for this.

I'm pretty excited by this news.

I too wish that Besthesda would make a GoT game, playing through Skyrim you can really fantasize what a game like that would be.

That being said i played the Walking Dead game and am very fond of it. I too cried at the end so I'm hoping that the story will be just a good. Telltale is great at getting you invested in their characters.

Archived