Why create house Blackfyre ?

Gneisenau

Could have just been a pride/ego thing. He probably resented being a bastard and if he took over under the name Blackfyre it'd be kind of a middlefinger to the family that didn't (legally) accept him.

Oh and having the sword Blackfyre was his only claim to the throne, and weak one at best.

Could have just been a pride/ego thing. He probably resented being a bastard and if he took over under the name Blackfyre it'd be kind of a middlefinger to the family that didn't (legally) accept him.

Oh and having the sword Blackfyre was his only claim to the throne, and weak one at best.

I suppose Daemon would always be considered a Targaryen pretender, but surely changing your (now) official Targaryen name to something else would make people even more convinced that you are a pretender.

I suppose Daemon would always be considered a Targaryen pretender, but surely changing your (now) official Targaryen name to something else would make people even more convinced that you are a pretender.

I think that would've been worse. He was claiming to be Aegon the Shithead's rightful heir, not trueborn son. If he taken the name Targaryen it would've been literal pretending since most knew he was a bastard. Blackfyre was the safer route I think.

House Blackfyre was created as a plot point to add volume and backstory to the main novels. Its existence and notoriety serve as a point of discussion as to the origin and validity of characters introduced later in teh story

Well that too, but in-story there's always room for discussion of character's motives.

I think that would've been worse. He was claiming to be Aegon the Shithead's rightful heir, not trueborn son. If he taken the name Targaryen it would've been literal pretending since most knew he was a bastard. Blackfyre was the safer route I think.

But if he remained a Targ and killed the other Targs, he would be the rightful King, just like how Robert Baratheon killed the Targs and became King because he was the closest Targ related person alive in Westeros

But if he remained a Targ and killed the other Targs, he would be the rightful King, just like how Robert Baratheon killed the Targs and became King because he was the closest Targ related person alive in Westeros

But he didn't become Robert Targaryen. I do believe that Robert and Daemon are supposed to be somewhat parallels so that should tell you why. Maybe he just had disdain for the family that wouldn't really let him be family.

Well i dont think its exclusive to Targ/Blackfyres, theres a few cadete dynasties in Westeros.... Stark-Karstark, Lannisters-LannisportLannisters, Arryns-Gulltown Arryns, i guess the only difference is that house blackfyre had a more like, radical name change?

Well i dont think its exclusive to Targ/Blackfyres, theres a few cadete dynasties in Westeros.... Stark-Karstark, Lannisters-LannisportLannisters, Arryns-Gulltown Arryns, i guess the only difference is that house blackfyre had a more like, radical name change?

but how many other cadet houses spawn so many forum posts about members of other houses being "secret" members of said house

But all of those cadet houses (except Arryn of Gulltown) seem to own/rule their own lands. I don't think Daemon was ever given lands.

but how many other cadet houses spawn so many forum posts about members of other houses being "secret" members of said house

Well thats because everyone already knows that Jalabhar Xho is a secret karstark, so no need to post about it :P

But all of those cadet houses (except Arryn of Gulltown) seem to own/rule their own lands. I don't think Daemon was ever given lands.

Okay fair point ya,

Okay according to some sources scrollsoflore.com/CK2;AGOT, Daemon held the lordship of Blackheart, later called Summerhall

It could have been as simple as him being a douchbag jock fighter type that felt physically superior to the bookish heir to the IT. Not wanting to be associated with nerd half brothers and his drunken skank of a dad, he took the name of his sword, because jock douche types lack creativity and his sword was the only claim to the throne he had.

Archived