Backstabing at the twins, were the 3 Freys in white harbor being set up by their beloved half brothers?

The weirwood knight

By now the weasel clan consists of 7 different factions from 7 different wives (with children) of Walder Frey.

Naturally every son will already try to push aside all competing half brothers in the upcoming matter of succession.

Considering this I wonder who put the notion in Walder Freys head to send Rhaegar, Jared and Simond Frey to White Harbor?

It is not hard to figure out that this was likely meant as a suicide mission.

Bringing the bones of a murdered son back to his father and coerce him to marry off his grandaughters to the same murderes is a safe way to get you killed.

Also the sly characters of the 3 jerks, the way they enjoy to make up unbelieveable lies about the red wedding didn't raise their chances of survival.

Wyman Manderley was determined to get his son back from the Lannisters, but that didn't stop him from killing his honored upcoming "sons in law" as soon as possible.

My theory is that someone at the twins deliberately planed to get rid of these 3 jerks for good.

When you send inapt arrogant fools to deal with a furious lord and offer him outrageous terms at the same time, the outcome is pretty predictable.

My money is on Lame Lothar as a backstabing mastermind at the Twins, he is certainly up to something in my mind.

As first steward he must be close to old Walder and has plenty of opportunities to whisper in his ears.

And he was the main organizer of the red wedding along with Roose Bolton.

Any thoughts.

I don't think that this was a case of internal Frey killing, but rather a hopeless example of Frey stupidity. They thought and think that they could and would get away with the Red Wedding but they were obviously wrong and the heights of their arrogance is what lead them to it. The mind-boggling social incompetence of the Freys is something which you have to wonder about as they honestly tried with a horrible way to lie their way out of what they by know probably realize is a pretty fucked up situation but only seems to have aggravated instead.

Nah, I don't think they thought it was a suicide mission. Afterall, they went there with the backing of the Lannisters, who still holds Lord Wyman's heir, to blackmail Wyman into joining their side. This was after the Lannisters "won" the war with the Starks, (or with the exception of Stannis, the war of 5 kings).

Also, since Lord Wyman is still alive at WF and their 'ally', I don't think they thought that he would obviously kill them.

Yeah, at the time it wasn't a suicide mission, it was a 'salt the wounds' mission. I mean, surely there was a hope or two that Wyman would flip the hell out and straight up murder the Freys sent, but it wasn't the likely outcome. They had all the leverage in the world over him to ensure the safety of their kin, along with Guest Right on top of that (Heh).

I don't think that this was a case of internal Frey killing, but rather a hopeless example of Frey stupidity. They thought and think that they could and would get away with the Red Wedding but they were obviously wrong and the heights of their arrogance is what lead them to it. The mind-boggling social incompetence of the Freys is something which you have to wonder about as they honestly tried with a horrible way to lie their way out of what they by know probably realize is a pretty fucked up situation but only seems to have aggravated instead.

They think they're Lannisters. They forget that the Lannisters keep themselves untouchable by staying one step away from things like the RW (plausible deniability); the Freys obviously can't do that, and that's why they are in trouble.

It could've come in handy looking up to which clans these 3 belonged to determine whether or not this is likely.

Here I did it for you:

Rhaegar: grandson of Walder and first wife, son of Aenys the 3rd son of Walder place of succesion: 19

Jared: fourth son of Walder, first from his second wife 28

Symond: seventh son of Walder, second from his third wife 40

I gues it is possible although place 19 (even when you scratch out the infants) is still pretty far. But it certainly is possible. Surely Lame Lothar Frey could be behind sending them away as he seems powerfull enough to have an influence (castellan), is way behind in line and it is mentioned enough in the books to be of any importance.

They think they're Lannisters. They forget that the Lannisters keep themselves untouchable by staying one step away from things like the RW (plausible deniability); the Freys obviously can't do that, and that's why they are in trouble.

They may or may not think that they are lions but worms cannot change their nature anymore than stones or oaks can. They are what they are and will remain so forever more.

Archived