Are Acknowledged Bastards in the Line of Succession At All?

Arthur Dayne's Honor

legitimized bastards come after trueborn children, bastards who aren't legitimized aren't in the line of succession at all

acknowledged doesn't mean legitimized. Acknowledged bastards are like Jon Snow and Edric Storm. Their lord fathers came out and said "Hey this is my son." But they still have a bastard name .

Actually, I think it's possible for a non-legitimized bastard to inherit, but the circumstances are typically pretty unusual. Didn't Bran consider making Larence Snow the heir to House Hornwood in aCoK?

yes I believe so. So I guess the answer to my question is that technically they aren't but if there aren't any others to inherit, like in the case of Larence Snow, it's not unheard of for the acknowledged bastard to be legitimized

yes I believe so. So I guess the answer to my question is that technically they aren't but if there aren't any others to inherit, like in the case of Larence Snow, it's not unheard of for the acknowledged bastard to be legitimized

Well, yeah, I think generally bastards never inherit, unless the circumstances are pretty dire. Likely enough, any bastard that would inherit is probably legitimized first (since that's probably what the mechanic of legitimization exists for.)

if all of the legit people in a House die off wouldn't the acknowledged child of the Lord of said house be legitimized .

Possibly.

When you consider everyone else dead it changes things, but I don't believe for example, Jon Snow was ever in the line of succession despite his acknowledgement and life in WF.

No, bastards have zero claim to their father's lands and titles. However sometimes they get it anyways if they happen to have a strong influence in their father's region.

Take Jon snow. If he didn't join the Night's watch and stayed in Winterfel until he was a full adult but one day all his family members just died off and there isn't a clear inheritor then its very possible he would have enough supporters to just take control. He might have to deal with some type of power struggle from a distant Stark relative but he could still win.

Same goes for Edric Storm. People really seemed to like him and if the Baratheon line died out then there's a good chance he could end up with Stormsend and it's lands.

Actually, I think it's possible for a non-legitimized bastard to inherit, but the circumstances are typically pretty unusual. Didn't Bran consider making Larence Snow the heir to House Hornwood in aCoK?

He would surely get legitimized by Robb, wouldn't he?

legitimized bastards come after trueborn children, bastards who aren't legitimized aren't in the line of succession at all

This is correct

and only if all the heirs are dead...

This is correct

and only if all the heirs are dead...

That may be correct. I think Martin said that it's actually more complicated than that in an SBS. That is, there are usually rules for inheriting and usually bastards aren't even considered, but the rules aren't as binding as they seem to be. The Blackfyre Rebellion occurred because a good portion of the realm decided to throw their lot in with a bastard, after all. Legitimized though he may be.

GRRM confirmed that there is no rule about which order they come in. For example, if Jon Snow were legitimized by King Robert, he might (in theory) come before Robb as the eldest child, come after Rickon but before Sansa, or come after Arya. Sometimes it matters if all of the originally trueborn heirs are dead, but sometimes it doesn't. It depends entirely on what the powers that be want and there is no inherent logic or precedent that can be relied on as a rule of thumb.

GRRM confirmed that there is no rule about which order they come in. For example, if Jon Snow were legitimized by King Robert, he might (in theory) come before Robb as the eldest child, come after Rickon but before Sansa, or come after Arya. Sometimes it matters if all of the originally trueborn heirs are dead, but sometimes it doesn't. It depends entirely on what the powers that be want and there is no inherent logic or precedent that can be relied on as a rule of thumb.

Which is why Jon's potential legitimization is so damn confusing when it comes to figuring out who the heir to Winterfell is.

Which is why Jon's potential legitimization is so damn confusing when it comes to figuring out who the heir to Winterfell is.

It's confusing on purpose though! When the dust clears and someone takes control, they will decide what is most politically advantageous for them. Jeyne Poole? Jon Snow? Bran Stark? Rickon Stark? Sansa Stark? You can pick any heir you want as long as you have a big army.

It's confusing on purpose though! When the dust clears and someone takes control, they will decide what is most politically advantageous for them. Jeyne Poole? Jon Snow? Bran Stark? Rickon Stark? Sansa Stark? You can pick any heir you want as long as you have a big army.

Oh, I quite agree. It makes discussions of the future of the Starks all the more lively, too.

Archived