(Season 5 spoilers) Boardwalk Empire: Farewell Daddy Blues

Mark Antony

Just finished my marathon re-watch of season 4 and holy fuck that ending with Richard isn't any less heart breaking, goddamn that was just brutal :(

I think it'll be a long while before I can watch that episode again. It was bad enough when they killed Jimmy but Richard seemed far more innocent (for a guy who was a super assassin)

I think it'll be a long while before I can watch that episode again. It was bad enough when they killed Jimmy but Richard seemed far more innocent (for a guy who was a super assassin)

I was definitely more upset about Richard than Jimmy. That fucking tease of a happy outcome didn't help either. It was similar to Adriana on The Sopranos. :frown5:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost done with season 4 now and I think this is my favorite show on tv at the moment. I'm one of those people who do feel the show lost something important when they killed off Jimmy Darmody.

It's a very well-written and well-acted show thats also very beautiful to look at.

But Jimmy was so important to the show. I think the reason for that is that he was the reason we get to know Nucky. Jimmy was by far the one Nucky had the closest relationship with and to kill him off that early makes the show feel less emotional and more shallow. It makes Nucky more shallow as a character now that he doesnt have Jimmy. Its so important to his backstory and one always got the feeling Nuck cared so much in part by guilt to his mother. To explore that backstory with Jimmy alive would have been much more powerful imo.

It's also very visible in s3 and s4. S4 has also spent a lot of time emulating that relationship with Will but it works nowhere near as well as it did with Jimmy.

The mafia stories in ny and chicago are very entertaining and the side characters are great. But without Nucky having a real emotional connection to anyone, like he had with Jimmy makes the show lose a very important feeling. The feeling of tge main character really caring for something or someone. S3 and s4 nucky does in some ways feel like a detached character from the story, probably because of this. And his relation with Eli is nowhere near the same as with Jimmy. Eli should have been killed long ago in my opinion.

I'm not trying to slam the show, just trying to explain why I think they needed jimmy for nuckys story.

The show is still very well-written and well-acted. Definitely the best show on hbo at the moment. Game of thrones is dissappointing more for every season with the weird changes and pretty bad writing.

I still would rate Boardwalk Empire a 9 during its first 2 seasons and maybe an 8 or weaker 9 during the latest seasons. I just feel it could have been something more. Something even better if they would have made a few changes.

I'm the opposite, I think it got way better after Jimmy died. Not necessarily because he died but I think the show started to get really strong in season 3 and 4. I also can never fault a show for killing off a big character unexpectedly, it's just such an awesome move - it kept my interest in the show when up until then I felt it was getting kinda boring. You can always say it would have been better if x had stayed alive but that's kinda the point for me, death in tv shows (and movies and books for that matter) shouldn't be some ideal contrivance. I hate plot armour and I love unexpected stuff - it just feels way more real to me.

Jimmy being offed sucked, but for the sake of keeping the show real I think they prospered from it. Characters getting reprieves makes for some really predictable shit. Sad that he's gone, but justified by the decisions he made.

Looks like Rothstein won't appear at all in the final season even in flashbacks.

Only 8 eps, no Rothstein, Nucky childhood flashbacks. It hasn't started yet but as one who adores the fuck out of this show, I'm feeling skeptical.

Wow, how odd and shitty. Where did you hear this?

Looks like Rothstein won't appear at all in the final season even in flashbacks.

Only 8 eps, no Rothstein, Nucky childhood flashbacks. It hasn't started yet but as one who adores the fuck out of this show, I'm feeling skeptical.

That's some sad news.

That's odd, because it directly contradicts what the actor said a couple months ago when he mentioned that he had been shooting scene/s for the final season. Unless Winter is purposely obfuscating whether or not we'll see Rothstein... In any case, though it's disappointing, it hasn't really lessened my excitement for the final season.

Darmody was great and it sucked to see him go, but his storyline wrapped up perfectly. I've watched that scene in the rain countless times. It's still a top quality show but it never quite recovered from losing it's most interesting character.

And if Rothstein doesn't show up AT ALL in S5 that will truly suck.

oh noo. no AR at all this season??? that's sad... he was the best character...

could someone remind me,why did they stop the show so soon?

because of low "ratings"?

5 seasons is pretty normal for a series. The choice to stop there was made by Terrence Winter (show runner) who wanted to move on to other projects.

I loved Jimmys arc but I actually think the show got a little better after he died. Season 3 is my favorite

Is season three the Gyp season?

I don't miss Jimmy at all. He had a good story arc but it came to a believable end. If he were still around it would feel forced. I'd hardly call him the most interesting character.

Archived