Small Questions v 10019

Stubby

what is that theory that has to do with whenever grrm puts three words in a row ("Corn, corn, corn") and whether or not they're separated by commas, or if they're in quotes, or whatever? I don't know how to explain it but someone analyzed it. I did a search and couldn't find it, mostly because I don't know what it's called..

what is that theory that has to do with whenever grrm puts three words in a row ("Corn, corn, corn") and whether or not they're separated by commas, or if they're in quotes, or whatever? I don't know how to explain it but someone analyzed it. I did a search and couldn't find it, mostly because I don't know what it's called..

They are generally called the "food codes". You can search for the specific food and look for "corn code" for example.

I have very little sense of time in these books. When Slynt was ranting about having "powerful friends", was Tywin long dead and did Slynt know that? I didn't get the impession he was gone off the deep end.

When did the Starks receive Ice?

I know the sword is 400 years old, but that doesn't necessarily mean its been with them for 400 years.

It doesn't say in AGOT: Catelyn I when they received it, only that it's 400 years old. There is really hardly anything about Valeria, its spells, or its greatswords in these books, and I doubt Twow and onward will have much either.

I have very little sense of time in these books. When Slynt was ranting about having "powerful friends", was Tywin long dead and did Slynt know that? I didn't get the impession he was gone off the deep end.

Slynths death happens early in aDwD, and Twins death happens at the end of aSoS. He isn't even discovered until aFfC. So not that much time has passed between this, and news always reaches the Wall late. Yes, Tywin has already died when Slynth died (I'm not exactly sure when he says the quote, don't have my book with me), but news of Tywins death probably hasn't reached them yet.

Slynths death happens early in aDwD, and Twins death happens at the end of aSoS. He isn't even discovered until aFfC. So not that much time has passed between this, and news always reaches the Wall late. Yes, Tywin has already died when Slynth died (I'm not exactly sure when he says the quote, don't have my book with me), but news of Tywins death probably hasn't reached them yet.

I remember Jon Snow confirmed he knew about Tywin's death about 3200 locations into the kindle version if you know it. Not sure if he acknowledged it earlier.

That's well after Janos' death.

I just read the Tyrion chapter from ADwD where they are sailing past Valyria and Tyrion remembers Gerion Lannister went to Valryia in search of the ancestral Lannister sword, why would it be in Valyria?

I believe King Tommen II Lannister traveled(or at least attempted) to Valyria and lost it.

Soooo, we all know deserting the Night's Watch will likely end up with one losing his head, but what about if you quit King's Guard?

Like, if some lord came across Sandor Clegane after he fled KL, would he have been within his rights to behead him for throwing away his white cloak? I can't remember if Joffrey gave a royal command to put down his dog, but even if there was no such thing, would Sandor's life still have been forfeit the moment he told the king to go bugger himself?

Soooo, we all know deserting the Night's Watch will likely end up with one losing his head, but what about if you quit King's Guard?

Like, if some lord came across Sandor Clegane after he fled KL, would he have been within his rights to behead him for throwing away his white cloak? I can't remember if Joffrey gave a royal command to put down his dog, but even if there was no such thing, would Sandor's life still have been forfeit the moment he told the king to go bugger himself?

I think which ever lord would come across a run-away KG knight, he would have to arrest him and bring him back to KL, if possible, and kill him if not. The KG are sworn to serve for life. They know what they give up.

It probably depends on the reason of desertion, but the only example I know of a KG breaking his vows (Lucamore the Lusty) ended up with a personal punishment from the fellow KG and then a life sentence of serving at the NW.

They wouldn't be illegitimate at all, if he was married when he had them.

If he was legitimised then I don't think it would apply to them if they were also bastards, I think they would have to be specifically legitimised. They're not bastards because their father was, they're bastards because they were born out of wedlock.

Okay. So just as an example. Lord Bracken has a bastard, a Rivers, who marries and has a child of his own. Lord Bracken then finds himself without an heir, and needs to have his bastard legitimised. This bastard would go from being a Rivers to being a Bracken. But the bastards children would also automatically become Brackens? Is that what you are saying?

why did stannis join the red god religion in the first place?

I'd love to say it was because his wife nagged long enough for him to finally give in... :P

Selyse adopted the Lord of Light first, so Melisandre was able to gain more influence on Dragonstone. Once Robert died and Stannis knew he should be the king but he didn't feel like he had much of a chance - boom - here comes a beautiful exotic priestess who proclaims that she has seen you in her flames, kicking some ass and saving the humankind. Stannis is not entirely sure about all this, but she then gives him a flaming sword and if that's not enough to thoroughly convince him, some sexytime and shadow babies should do the trick.

In a more serious note, here's what Mel thinks of Jon in her POV in ADWD:

He does not love me, will never love me, but he will make use of me. Well and good. Melisandre had danced the same dance with Stannis Baratheon, back in the beginning.

So I suspect Stannis first saw R'hllor as a useful tool, and later on, after seeing what kind of tricks Mel had up her sleeve he actually came to believe in the Lord of Light.

Regardless of the knowledge of Tywin's death, Janos could also speak about Littlefinger.

Wasn't he the commander of the Golden Cloaks during LF's turnaround?

He was also ready to block Ned right before his execution!

Okay. So just as an example. Lord Bracken has a bastard, a Rivers, who marries and has a child of his own. Lord Bracken then finds himself without an heir, and needs to have his bastard legitimised. This bastard would go from being a Rivers to being a Bracken. But the bastards children would also automatically become Brackens? Is that what you are saying?

I would think so. It would make the most sense.

That's true, he doesn't have to mean Tywin. He could also mean LF, or someone else.

Nope, I specifically remember him whining about Tywin Lannister. It was similar to "Oh ho! Wait until Tywin Lannister hears of this!". Maybe he was referring to LF though when he mentioned the "powerful friends" in King's Landing. He was the Lord of Harrenhal, don't forget. :D

A question concerning the legal position of Lady Dustin. Why exactly is she still Lady of the House? After Lord William Dustin had died in Robert's Rebellion, shouldn't the lordship have passed to his closest living relative, whoever that may be? Same seems to have happened with Lady Hornwood who "named" Ramsey Snow as her heir, apparently giving him the rights to Hornwood lands. But why would that be as she was Lady Hornwood only through her husband and not in her own right (similar to the difference between Queen Regnant and Queen Consort or Queen Dowager).

Archived