Was Aerys' plot to burn KL really that bad ?

Gneisenau

so a kings people should burn with their king, is that what your saying

if Aerys wanted to take the cowards way out and commit suicide it would be one thing, but to kill all of his people and loyal followers along with himself..................yea there's no way around how fucked up that is

Well, hold on, fellas...is murdering 500k people because you're shit-your-pants-crazy really so bad?

From Aerys' perspective, burning KL would deny Robert the IT. I don't really think he wanted to kill 500k people, that would just a secondary consequence of his actions.

From Aerys' perspective, burning KL would deny Robert the IT. I don't really think he wanted to kill 500k people, that would just a secondary consequence of his actions.

If KL had burnt, Robert could have built a new capital, on the foundations of the old one if necessary. Of course, KL held value as a symbol of the governance of the united realm, but it was hardly essential to any rebel victory.

then why not just burn the Red Keep, the fact that he wanted to destroy the whole city is what makes this act evil

then why not just burn the Red Keep, the fact that he wanted to destroy the whole city is what makes this act evil

Why would the Targaryen give their enemies their equivalent of Winterfell to their enemies ? Considering that Robert was basically gonna go all Tywin on them, I don't see why anybody in the Targ position would surrender to them. That I think is the problem with Tywin's kill them all mentality, it gives the enemy no motivation to surrender.

No, he definitely wanted to kill 500,000 people. That's why he had caches of wildfire planted all over KL, and not just the Red Keep. He wanted to burn everyone. There is a reason why people refer to him as the Mad King.

Why would the Targaryen give their enemies their equivalent of Winterfell to their enemies ? Considering that Robert was basically gonna go all Tywin on them, I don't see why anybody in the Targ position would surrender to them. That I think is the problem with Tywin's kill them all mentality, it gives the enemy no motivation to surrender.

The interesting thing here is that we don't really know what Robert would have done to all the Targs if Tywin hadn't done what he did. Robert killing Rhaegar, understandable. Offing Aerys, hell yeah. But would he have killed Elia's kids? We don't know. We get to hear that Robert might have been relieved that he never had to think about it after Tywin did the dirty work. Robert sent Stannis to Dragonstone, and we can assume from his later talks with Ned that his plan was to kill the rest of the remaining Targs. BUT, would he have been inclined to kill the two remaining dragon spawns if Elia and her children were captured alive and only held under arrest - I don't know.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: fuck yes.

Where do you people come from? Should I prepare myself for a "Is Ramsey Really That Bad" thread?

Well, I was playing Civ, and I was about the lose my capital, so I decided to destroy it all to deny the enemy.

Well, I was playing Civ, and I was about the lose my capital, so I decided to destroy it all to deny the enemy.

Judging from this thread you must have felt hella guilty about it afterwards... :lmao:

Archived