Checklist for the Ideal Ruler

The Crow's Third Eye

Inspired by the recent "objective" assessment of Dany and Jon's mistakes, I thought I would create my own thread on what makes the ideal ruler of the Iron Throne.

The rules are as follows:

1) No just stating someones name. This adds nothing to the discussion. If you would say someone's name, at least list the traits that make them the ideal ruler.

2) Elaborate on your points; *insert trait* makes for an ideal ruler because....*insert reason*

3) If you disagree with some, feel free to say so but dont derail the thread and turn it into, say, a Cat/Dany/Jon bashing thread please!

That being said, my own checklist:

1) Must be fair - To win the loyalty of their Lords/Ladies and the love of the Smallfolk, the ruler must be fair with their judgement of crimes and other matters, such as how to divide up disputed lands, etc etc. A tyrant King/Queen who tries to claim too much will inspire rebellions

2) Must be understanding - The ruler of the 7ks must understand that their Kingdom is made up of many very different people, cultures and religions. They must understand that each has a right to their own views/beliefs and do what they can to ensure peace between these different groups.

3) Must be tough and swift - showing signs of weakness and/or hesitation is bad, as we have been shown by Tytos Lannister's rule. An ideal ruler must be firm with rebels and be certain in their actions. That being said, there has to be a balance. Tywin Lannister was IMO too tough with the Reynes and Tarbecks, and Aerys was too tough with the Darklyns and Hollards, yet Robert was somewhat too lenient with the Ironborn. Difficult to balance but this is an ideal checklist.

4) Must produce an heir - as seen by the WoT5K's, failure to produce a legitimate heir to the Throne provides huge problems. This one is fairly obvious.

5) Must list to advice - I like the idea of the Small Council, but IMO the Ideal Ruler would have a much larger council with representatives from each of the Regions of Westeros and the major religious groups, as this gives them a better idea of what impact their decisions will have on the entire realm.

6) Must be educated/intelligent - listening to a council is all well and good but they must have a mind of their own too. A lackwit as King or Queen would be a disaster.

Thats all for now, but I may add more over time

(If anyone read this before, I caught the button and posted before I was finished writing_

I think you're almost completely wrong. A king doesn't need to be fair, understanding, tough, swift or have produced an heir. If he appoints an heir that is unquestionable, it's okay too. Fair is not the same as just. If he is judging people, he should apply the law and be just. That's what a King definetely has to be and what I'm completely missing from your list. As the King is the highest possible judge, it seems to me like a top priority. Understanding doesn't seem necesarry, as being understanding can often be a weakness. Tough, swift... those are adjectives like strong, brave, friendly, beautifull... nice to have but not necessary. Your last two points are right.

My list:

- being just

- be able to have some compassion (= not letting people starve)

What about understanding politics and respecting and keeping the loyalty of his Lords and Bannermen?

Or being a good judge of characters, skills and motivations of people, so he'll appoint the right persons around him?

:)

I think I will need to edit to make some of my points clearer. Intelligent/educated was meant to show that they understood politics etc.

I think you're almost completely wrong. A king doesn't need to be fair, understanding, tough, swift or have produced an heir. If he appoints an heir that is unquestionable, it's okay too. Fair is not the same as just. If he is judging people, he should apply the law and be just. That's what a King definetely has to be and what I'm completely missing from your list. As the King is the highest possible judge, it seems to me like a top priority. Understanding doesn't seem necesarry, as being understanding can often be a weakness. Tough, swift... those are adjectives like strong, brave, friendly, beautifull... nice to have but not necessary. Your last two points are right.

My list:

- being just

- be able to have some compassion (= not letting people starve)

Hmm, I agree with you in some respects. Perhaps I did mean fair as well as just. But I feel the other traits are equally desirable in an ideal ruler

Archived