Why didn't Rhaegar challenge Robert to a duel (like Littlefinger vs Brandon)?

Ruby Chevrolet

Guess i must have missed something. Im not so sure Robert would defeat Rhaegar in single combat.

I thought that they were both great fighters and am not sure how much can be judged on the Trident.

With everyone being so posative Robert would win I guess il get some evidence on my first re-read that i just started.

Guess i must have missed something. Im not so sure Robert would defeat Rhaegar in single combat.

I thought that they were both great fighters and am not sure how much can be judged on the Trident.

With everyone being so posative Robert would win I guess il get some evidence on my first re-read that i just started.

Rhaegar was a decent fighter. Robert was a beast. Robert would win.

I don't really blame Lyanna for running off with Rhaegar. Putting aside the fact that her story is possibly completely cliche and let she goes understand the stereotype of women who like the angsty guys, she was forced into a bad situation by Rickard and likely thought that Rhaegar was a way out of it. If anyone is to blame its Rhaegar and Rickard. And that is putting aside the possibility that Rhaegar had a plan in place that someone screwed up to prevent war(no proof just common fricken sense, cuz Rhaegar seemed to be somewhat intellegent).

I honestly don't think we can blame Rickard. Arranged marriages are a fact of life for Westerosi nobility. Everyone does it. Lyanna is a nice gal and has the wolf's blood and blah de blah, but doesn't get to be a special snowflake and avoid it because she met some dreamy douchebag. Even Robert himself had to abide to a marriage he didn't like at all for the sake of the realm. Not that it ended well, but that's the way of things in the setting.

As for Rheagar, most simple explanation is that he knew he would get a faceful of warhammer. Robert in his prime was probably second only to Arthur Dayne. And anyway, I imagine Aerys would not be pleased with his son's polygamous antics, and officially he has the final say on who Ray-Man marries.

There was always the possibility of polygamy in front of the Realm.

Only if Aerys allowed and he would, in any case, cause significant tensions between at least three of the seven kingdoms in one fell swoop. Kidnapping her/running off with her gave him the necessary time to fulfill his prophecy.

Why would he? Should Lyanna's fate hinge on which one of her suitors is a better duel fighter? Where is her choice in that? (Yes, I believe Lyanna chose to run off with Rhaegar.)

The idea of fighting a duel for a woman's hand profoundly sucks. It's about treating the woman as an OBJECT to be won as a prize.

Of course Littlefinger wanted to fight a duel - Catelyn was always a prize for him. He never asked her if she wanted him and never afterwards bothered to find out what she really wanted.

Only if Aerys allowed and he would, in any case, cause significant tensions between at least three of the seven kingdoms in one fell swoop. Kidnapping her/running off with her gave him the necessary time to fulfill his prophecy.

I don't think that Aerys had to be involved. Especially if Rhaegar was smarter and had completed his plans of disposing him and then marrying Lyanna. Since he did it anyway, why not doing it properly?

There were months between the Battle of the Bells and the Battle of the Trident. Robert had time to heal.

were there really months? Regardless, I would argue the overall stresses of fighting a war would have lowered Robert's full abilities regardless of injuries. Rhaegar was a lot fresher after all.

I don't think that Aerys had to be involved. Especially if Rhaegar was smarter and had completed his plans of disposing him and then marrying Lyanna. Since he did it anyway, why not doing it properly?

Aerys has to be involved if he is king. Remember that it was Aerys who arranged the Elia marriage, he has full control who his children marry. And I'm not really sure he can just go up to Rickard Stark and Robert Baratheon and tell them that he will be marrying Lyanna. Even in the setting that they're in, there are some things that a king can't do (like the right to the first night that was abolished).

Aerys has to be involved if he is king. Remember that it was Aerys who arranged the Elia marriage, he has full control who his children marry. And I'm not really sure he can just go up to Rickard Stark and Robert Baratheon and tell them that he will be marrying Lyanna. Even in the setting that they're in, there are some things that a king can't do (like the right to the first night that was abolished).

That is why I said after disposing his father. I don't think that Rickard would have any problem about the marriage, Robert on the other hand yes. He would have started a war.

The first night was abolished by a (Targ) King. Polygamy was never abolished,

That is why I said after disposing his father. I don't think that Rickard would have any problem about the marriage, Robert on the other hand yes. He would have started a war.

The first night was abolished by a (Targ) King. Polygamy was never abolished,

It's not polygamy that's the issue, it's polygamy without the consent of a) the father (older brother in this case) of the old bride, b.) the father of the new bride and c) the new bride's betrothed. I imagine Rickard would have had a problem with it. Maybe marrying the lord of Storm's End isn't as lucrative as marrying the crown prince, but at least she wouldn't have to share her husband. Not to mention that it would almost definitely create tensions between house Stark and house Martell if Rickard gave such a marriage his approval. So I'm pretty sure if Rhaegar had come up to them and proposed to marry Lyanna, they would have told him to take a hike.

Archived