Notable Releases
From the Store
Game of Thrones Distressed Greyjoy Sigil T-Shirt
Greyjoy Distressed Men’s T-Shirt
HBO US
Featured Sites
License Holders

Photo

[tPatQ Spoilers] Anyone else likes the Targaryens less now after reading the novella?

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 Panos Targaryen

Panos Targaryen

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Although I find Dany a good character, she is not my favorite one. I am mostly fascinated with House Targaryen itself, with their exotic Valyrian roots and features, the dragons and their connection to magic, the way they seemed almost godlike compared to the rest of Westeros, standing above the other Lords, as well as the greatness\madness dichotomy that exists in their history. After reading tPatQ, however, my opinion has changed.

The dragons are not noble, magical creatures, but brutish, murderous animals who kill indiscriminately, and don't appear to be very intelligent. The Targs in the novella were not the noble and mystical dragonlords I pictured as the Targaryens of the past, but were mostly power-hungry assholes, like Aemond, or Daemon. And don't get me started on Aegon II, probably the worst scumbag of them all. They seemed very... human, in the worst ways, acting more like Greyjoys and Umbers than the dragonlords I had in my mind. Their dragonriding made me picture them as typical fantasy warriors, flying on magical and magnificent creatures. Now they look more like thugs with powerful animals.

It has changed my opinion on House Targaryen significantly, and although I still think they changed Westeros for the better, and they did have great members, like Baelor Breakspear, Jahaerys I or Egg, they no longer seem as larger than life figures to me, and there's nothing magical or alien with them. They're just people. Plus I like the dragons much less now. I like to believe that Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters are more similar to how I pictured the Targaryens, noble, exotic and mystical, and the dynasty strayed from Aegon's and his sisters' standards as the years went on.

Edited by Panos Targaryen, 07 December 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#2 Jon's Queen Consort

Jon's Queen Consort

Ainsi sera, groigne qui groigne.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

Never liked them and never will. But after tPatQ, I liked some of them.

#3 Panos Targaryen

Panos Targaryen

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

Never liked them and never will. But after tPatQ, I liked some of them.

Weird, it's the exact opposite for me. Who did you like?

#4 Jon's Queen Consort

Jon's Queen Consort

• Members
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Rhaenyra, Jace, Aegon III, Joff but my fav 2 are Lucerys the best heir, Daemon the best would-be-King.

#5 The Sleeper

The Sleeper

A series of biological ephemera

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Power is pretty only from a distance. It is, however, addicitve, seductive and distorts perceptions from all angles.

#6 Anath

Anath

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Rhaenyra and her sons. Daemon (minus the Blood and Cheese episode). Rhaenys. Daemon's girls (Rhaena sure looked devout but not separated from reality). Daeron the Daring.

Actually, it was the first time I saw Targaryens acting like a real family (the Dragonstone branch). Before, we had Dany and Viserys off-screen, Egg's comments about his family and the note that he let his children marry for love.

What can I say, I like families that are, well, like families.

#7 Panos Targaryen

Panos Targaryen

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

Rhaenyra, Jace, Aegon III, Joff but my fav 2 are Lucerys the best heir, Daemon the best would-be-King.

I liked Rhaenyra and Jace too, but Daemon sent two thugs to kill an innocent child, and traumatized Helaena for life. Sure, he's a great commander, but he's despicable. And it's mentioned he has contacts in KL's seediest places from when he was LC of the City Watch, what kind of a person does that show him to be when has contact with these circles?

#8 Nictarion

Nictarion

Council Member

• Members
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Rhaenyra and her sons. Daemon (minus the Blood and Cheese episode). Rhaenys. Daemon's girls (Rhaena sure looked devout but not separated from reality). Daeron the Daring.

Actually, it was the first time I saw Targaryens acting like a real family (the Dragonstone branch). Before, we had Dany and Viserys off-screen, Egg's comments about his family and the note that he let his children marry for love.

What can I say, I like families that are, well, like families.

I pretty much agree with all this.

#9 Anath

Anath

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

I liked Rhaenyra and Jace too, but Daemon sent two thugs to kill an innocent child, and traumatized Helaena for life. Sure, he's a great commander, but he's despicable. And it's mentioned he has contacts in KL's seediest places from when he was LC of the City Watch, what kind of a person does that show him to be when has contact with these circles?

A wise one. Keeping them under some control. He was not stupid enough to think he could erase all criminal activities in KL, so he influenced them from inside

#10 Jon's Queen Consort

Jon's Queen Consort

• Members
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

I don't think that he was despicable, I think that he did what it needed to be done. A son for a son, Lucerys had to be avenged.

A wise one. Keeping them under some control. He was not stupid enough to think he could erase all criminal activities in KL, so he influenced them from inside

This so much.

#11 Sansa_Stark

Sansa_Stark

blank

• Banned
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

It only made me think they were a bigger joke than before

Edited by Strongboar_Crakehall, 07 December 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#12 Anath

Anath

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

I don't think that he was despicable, I think that he did what it needed to be done. A son for a son, Lucerys had to be avenged.

I do think it was a vile thing to do. Still, I cannot help but think that if Aegon had wanted his children safe, maybe, just maybe he shouldn't have resorted to usurpation? By doing this, he basically turned Rhaenyra and, by extension, Daemon into his children's enemies.

Same for Helaena, although to a lesser extent. She wasn't the one who made a grab for her half-sister's crown. No matter her personal feelings, when Aegon and Hellicent made their bid for the throne, she could do nothing but support them. And by the little we see about their relationship, both her mother and brother didn't value her opinion too much either way. She is only mentioned to have spoken to the Green Council for making peace with Rhaenyra but even then, Hellicent had a word, too. It definitely came across to me as if Hellicent weighed in and was the one whose opinion was taken into account.

And Aemond and Cole discussing how to free Helaena so they can have Dreamfyre was touching. Especially when Jace died trying to rescue little Viserys - a much younger half-brother he couldn't have this much in common with simply because there were eight years between them.

#13 Panos Targaryen

Panos Targaryen

Noble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

It only made me think they were a bigger joke than before

Jokes don't conquer continents and burn entire cities to the ground.

#14 Jon's Queen Consort

Jon's Queen Consort

• Members
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Jokes don't conquer continents and burn entire cities to the ground.

You whould be surprised!

Edited by Jon's Queen Consort, 07 December 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#15 Nictarion

Nictarion

Council Member

• Members
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Who is this Hellicent people are talking about, her name was Alicent. Or am I forgetting someone?

#16 Jon's Queen Consort

Jon's Queen Consort

• Members
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Who is this Hellicent people are talking about, her name was Alicent. Or am I forgetting someone?

Hell and Alicent=Hellicent

#17 Anath

Anath

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

Same person. Jon simply coined a name reflecting her personality.

#18 Firefawkz

Firefawkz

I Know About The Promise

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

think people are mingling alicent and haelena?

edit : nevermind, its just a clever portmanteu

Edited by Red Widow's Flame, 07 December 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#19 Dark Flame

Dark Flame

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

to make her look more evil

Rhaenyra is the saint, Alicant is the evil one  :bs:

Edited by Dark Flame, 07 December 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#20 Nictarion

Nictarion

Council Member

• Members
  • 7,926 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hell and Alicent=Hellicent

Lol. I see.