[tPatQ Spoilers] Anyone else likes the Targaryens less now after reading the novella?

Panos Targaryen

Hellicent is more Cersei than Rhaenyra.

:agree:

Rhaenyra wasn't mad before she lost her son. She got really crazy later. Though I didn't like neither Alicent nor Rhaenyra - the latter was better.

:agree:

Rhaenyra wasn't mad before she lost her son. She got really crazy later. Though I didn't like neither Alicent nor Rhaenyra - the latter was better.

Agree. Rhaenyra went overprotective and suspicious after Lucerys' death.

Hellicent was Cerseied from the very beginning.

Agreed. Rhaenyra's reasons made sense considering the sheer amount of betrayals and losses she suffered. Alicent had no development. She was Cersei all along. I'd even say she had no moral remorse, as Cersei herself, when she left her husband for days without proper treatment or when she murdered the member of the small council.

Agreed. Rhaenyra's reasons made sense considering the sheer amount of betrayals and losses she suffered. Alicent had no development. She was Cersei all along. I'd even say she had no moral remorse, as Cersei herself, when she left her husband for days without proper treatment or when she murdered the member of the small council.

True. Rhaenyra lost a son, a daughter, a father, later she lost two more sons and on top of that she was betrayed by those who she though that it was her family. Then she became overprotective and suspicious. Which mother or which one wouldn't be overprotective and suspicious after those things?

As for Hellicent and Viserys I don't think that the only thing that she did was that she left him without proper treatment.

Absolutely.

Rhaenyra was the Cersei before Cersei? Riiiiight.

Because she:

1. Absolutely forbade her husband to bring his children from his prior relationship in front of her. Then she sent Rhaena to tame Sheepstealer after the girl's dragon died, secretly hoping that it'll be the end of her.

2. Decided that any insult against her should go severely punished, so she had the Grand Maester thrown in the dungeon of Dragonstone before killing him after he came to her with Aegon's proposal and admitted that he had vowed to uphold her right and then broke the vow.

3. Decided that her sons should be coddled from cradle to old age because the only way they could live was under her protecting and suffocating wing.

4. Cheated on her husband with the only idea of providing him with children not of his blood (don't forget, the Strong thing is just a rumour until proven otherwise and we never saw anyone else referring to but the Greens who probably started it and certainly were the ones to benefit from it).

5. Brought up her sons to be perfect little psychopaths who loved killing this or that under her protection.

I'll do the Hellicent list later. Now, that's a Cersei before Cersei.

Absolutely.

Rhaenyra was the Cersei before Cersei? Riiiiight.

Because she:

1. Absolutely forbade her husband to bring his children from his prior relationship in front of her. Then she sent Rhaena to tame Sheepstealer after the girl's dragon died, secretly hoping that it'll be the end of her.

2. Decided that any insult against her should go severely punished, so she had the Grand Maester thrown in the dungeon of Dragonstone before killing him after he came to her with Aegon's proposal and admitted that he had vowed to uphold her right and then broke the vow.

3. Decided that her sons should be coddled from cradle to old age because the only way they could live was under her protecting and suffocating wing.

4. Cheated on her husband with the only idea of providing him with children not of his blood (don't forget, the Strong thing is just a rumour until proven otherwise and we never saw anyone else referring to but the Greens who probably started it and certainly were the ones to benefit from it).

5. Brought up her sons to be perfect little psychopaths who loved killing this or that under her protection.

I'll do the Hellicent list later. Now, that's a Cersei before Cersei.

Who is Hellicent?

To the OP:

It did not really change my opinion of the Targaryens, but greatly lowered my opinion of House Hightower.

Yeah I didn't really like the Hightowers.

Except Ser Hobert. His last action was pretty cool!

No it's not unless prior inbreeding, if it was such a risk it would be uniformly illegal, Cersie is just delusional as far as I can tell

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/04/us/few-risks-seen-to-the-children-of-1st-cousins.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

re: the article: "First cousins are somewhat more likely than unrelated parents to have a child with a serious birth defect, mental retardation or genetic disease, but their increased risk is nowhere near as large as most people think, the scientists said."

That's true enough - but the same is true of siblings; the increased risk, while higher than with cousins, is nowhere near as large as most people think (if you asked people, they'd say that it's pretty much a given that a child of two siblings, or a parent and a child, will be some sort of a freaky monster). That doesn't mean that there is no risk.

If there were no risks of congenital diseases because of the recessive genes in cousin marriages, then the Habsburg dynasty would not have had all their health issues. European royalty had the habit of marrying cousin to cousin, over and over; not marrying sibling to sibling, which was illegal.

Lots of things that are risky are legal. Smoking, alcohol and Formula 1 racing haven't been uniformly banned.

@OP

I do kind of agree with you. The targaryen mystique dramatized by Dany's character, and past legends didn't really fit the maester's re telling of the events. I like to think this is how all the histories of westeros were recorded by maesters, so it would have been more dramatic from an interactive POV. If we could have heard inside Rhaenyra's head when her children were killed, dragon slain, and cause lost, it wouldn't have been so dry.

Archived