Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - Hope springs eternal, we're all Tantalus here

Sci-2

I know we've all talked about this before, but I think one of the big problems is this is the Alliance trying to be Firefly.

I think there's something to that, yeah. Looking at Nikita, which, while not exactly the greatest thing on television, is miles ahead of SHIELD in terms of quality, then the time when Nikita and friends stopped being the ones fighting the vastly more powerful establishment and became said establishment was probably the show's weakest part. And that's despite the fact that the regular changing up of the status quo has been one of that series' strengths.

If they want us to root for the representatives of an organization as grey as SHIELD they at least need to make these guys competent and show that they are ultimately effectively working for the greater good. Otherwise it's even more legitimate to ask why the hell these idiots get to violate the privacy and civil liberties of apparently anyone on the planet as long as they think it's justified.

They could could have gotten around that by slowly moving Team Coulson into a more sympathetic stance in opposition to SHIELD in general, but Skye, the character that could have pushed the show in that direction, is probably the worst written out of a group of not terribly interesting people and has been turned into somebody who, given half a chance, would rather join SHIELD than reform it.

Finally got to see this episode - I enjoyed it. Yeah, there were parts already identified you could drive a truck through the holes, but at least it moved plot forward.

I saw the episode listed as a cliffhanger, but in the previews for the next show we see all of the characters back together with another team member at some point. I thought the real cliffhanger was going to be it looking like Ward got shot when the chopper was flying by which brought me back to the "will we care if anyone dies" conversation.

Finally got to see this episode - I enjoyed it. Yeah, there were parts already identified you could drive a truck through the holes, but at least it moved plot forward.

I saw the episode listed as a cliffhanger, but in the previews for the next show we see all of the characters back together with another team member at some point. I thought the real cliffhanger was going to be it looking like Ward got shot when the chopper was flying by which brought me back to the "will we care if anyone dies" conversation.

Yes, and I also got to wondering if Peterson is really gone; or if in true comic book fashion, he arises later with a new grudge or something. :dunno:

Although, checking their IMDB page the actor is only credited with 2 episodes. Interestingly enough, most of the regular cast is credited with 13 episodes while Fitz is only credited with 10... so where's he going?

There was a throwaway comment about IM in the pilot I think "Until recently all anyone had to worry about was a billionaire industrialist in a fancy suit."

Also, in the pilot Skye got accused of being the sort of fangirl who would hang around outside Stark Tower trying to see Tony Stark.

Yes, and I also got to wondering if Peterson is really gone; or if in true comic book fashion, he arises later with a new grudge or something. :dunno:

If they want to bring him back in the future then they could have him badly injured by the explosion and spend the time until they want to reuse him in hospital recovering.

If they want to bring him back in the future then they could have him badly injured by the explosion and spend the time until they want to reuse him in hospital recovering.

Just seemed like they spent an awful lot of time setting him up as part of the team and having all the gals swoon over him to throw him away in a tanker truck explosion.

Just seemed like they spent an awful lot of time setting him up as part of the team and having all the gals swoon over him to throw him away in a tanker truck explosion.

I never even considered him dead. Super soldier/extremis/robot thingy is bound to include "healing factor". He seemed to take a piece of piping in his abdomen pretty well - a few burns won't set him back. There's also the fact that he's more interesting after two episodes than most of the central cast are after 9.

They could could have gotten around that by slowly moving Team Coulson into a more sympathetic stance in opposition to SHIELD in general, but Skye, the character that could have pushed the show in that direction, is probably the worst written out of a group of not terribly interesting people and has been turned into somebody who, given half a chance, would rather join SHIELD than reform it.

I would like to see Skye asking about liberty vs. security as SHIELD is shown to be shadier than anticipated, but also give SHIELD some justification. Have Hydra resurge and soon after AIM rises, and so with the rise of more and more anomalies have SHIELD be increasingly beleaguered.

International law and governments getting more involved with the offerings of Hydra and AIM would help justify such a small team being on its own if their work is often unofficial.

The team should be able to call in SHIELD occasionally, which they admittedly did do in the electric plague episode.

Simmons Peterson, I think, is what helped make the show. Not only is his relationship with his son more compelling then any of the other long running arcs, the guy is a better actor and his presence means less time to dwell on the weak cast issues.

Simmons getting some dark chocolate would be the highlight of this show, even if it's not shown on screen.

This is classic brown-nosing from the main comics websites where it's apparently our fault we have a problem with the show. While I agree with their point about viewers being annoyed/perplexed by the lack of Marvel characters (not even d-listers) and don't for a second buy the budget restrains. I think it looks passable for a TV show and the thunderbirds jet is kind of quaint. My issue with the show is the general plotting, tone and use of certain characters. But that's never mentioned in the article at all.

You'd almost think they had interviews with the showrunners...

I would agree with them that if the show was to steady out with the figures it currently has it would still be a successful show though. So as long as the tv execs are half-full people it should be fine. There must be questions as to why they've lost that many viewers though.

This is classic brown-nosing from the main comics websites where it's apparently our fault we have a problem with the show. While I agree with their point about viewers being annoyed/perplexed by the lack of Marvel characters (not even d-listers) and don't for a second buy the budget restrains. I think it looks passable for a TV show and the thunderbirds jet is kind of quaint. My issue with the show is the general plotting, tone and use of certain characters. But that's never mentioned in the article at all.

You'd almost think they had interviews with the showrunners...

I would agree with them that if the show was to steady out with the figures it currently has it would still be a successful show though. So as long as the tv execs are half-full people it should be fine. There must be questions as to why they've lost that many viewers though.

Newsarama and CBR are there to promote Marvel and DC, nothing else.

Yeah, I don't buy that the show not meeting overhyped expectations is to blame for a drop of over 50% in viewing numbers. And blaming the audience is rarely a good move. Even if it is a function of expectations not being met, that's on the show's marketing, not the people who tuned out when they were disappointed with what was being served up on screen.

Yeah, I don't buy that the show not meeting overhyped expectations is to blame for a drop of over 50% in viewing numbers. And blaming the audience is rarely a good move. Even if it is a function of expectations not being met, that's on the show's marketing, not the people who tuned out when they were disappointed with what was being served up on screen.

Yeah, it's not like this show was sold as "Hey, turn in every week for a at best mildly entertaining action show!".

I didn't catch much of the promotion for the show but they did mention the Avengers. I guess some people may have left after not seeing any of them. I think a lot of people expected to see more super villains turn up though. We've basically had Graviton's orgin - not Graviton and that's it.

I was expecting some of the fun from the MCU to bleed over though. That doesn't cost money unless all solid screenwriters cost a fortune which can't be the case as Arrow and loads of other network tv shows get by fine.

I do think the second season will have a change in approach though. They probably haven't filmed any new episodes since the ratings dropped.

I do think the second season will have a change in approach though. They probably haven't filmed any new episodes since the ratings dropped.

So the show has been on hiatus since the second episode?:P

Maybe they'll use the Christmas break to implement some changes, though obviously there are at least one or two finished episodes that haven't aired yet.

I wonder if they're worried about a kind of "new Coke" phenomenon, where if they change too much the people who have stuck with it will give up on the show, too, but they won't be getting back any of the lost viewers, either.

So the show has been on hiatus since the second episode? :P

Maybe they'll use the Christmas break to implement some changes, though obviously there are at least one or two finished episodes that haven't aired yet.

I wonder if they're worried about a kind of "new Coke" phenomenon, where if they change too much the people who have stuck with it will give up on the show, too, but they won't be getting back any of the lost viewers, either.

Fair point. I've no idea how the scheduling works for a new show. I thought they'd have to wait a few eps to be greenlit a full season but you're right in that some episodes will have been shot by now that should address complaints.

I guess they can't change the show suddenly although featuring some known villains wouldn't be a massive change. Tightening up the character dynamics would also help. I feel like they want to emulate a whedon show and they are half way there. A complete overhaul into some kind of Alias/Nikita serious AHIELD would be off-putting with the current cast.

I didn't catch much of the promotion for the show but they did mention the Avengers. I guess some people may have left after not seeing any of them.

I've noticed that every week the Channel 4 continuity announcer introduces Agents of Shield as being "adrenaline-fuelled action', which I don't feel is a very accurate description of the show.

I've noticed that every week the Channel 4 continuity announcer introduces Agents of Shield as being "adrenaline-fuelled action', which I don't feel is a very accurate description of the show.

Well, they can hardly broadcast "And now for Agents of Shield - more fun than watching paint dry, and cheaper too!"

I liked Thor (the first one, didn't get the chance to see the 2nd). Iron Man 3 - not so much - just saw it (we are catching up on the Marvel movies). I think we caught up. My favorite is the Hulk with villainous dad. I think we went through them all save for Thor 2.

Trying X-Men now, and I gotta say, the Wolverine 2 ruined my fond memories of the earlier movies. Maybe it's because hubby watches James Bond marathon, but new Logan has JB feel in that one. I am waiting on Wolverine the Origins, hopefully it will be cooler.

I am actually missing the MAOS. Go figure. Must be Ward's Russian.

Archived