The Fate of The Lannister Siblings (A Lenghty Prediction)

The King Of Limbs

Hey everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, and I wanted to share a theory I have about the fate of Jaime, Cersei, and Tyrion Lannister, and their narrative arcs. I personally believe that the three of them are destined to converge at Casterly Rock in A Dream Of Spring, and that there is textual evidence to back it up. Now, I've noticed there seem to be three camps with regards to Jaime. One seems to think he's destined for Stoneheart's noose, and will die early in WOW. The second thinks he's destined to be the Valonquar, and kill Cersei, while dying in the process. The third is similiar to the second, only with Jaime surviving the encounter. Personally, I'm part of the latter.

We know the Valonqar prophecy says the "little brother" will strangle the life out Cersei, at some point. It's a pretty common conclusion on these here boards that it will be Jaime who does the deed. In order for that to happen, Jaime is going to have to survive his ordeal with LS, which means he's guaranteed to survive the first half of WOW. I don't know what he will do, or how, but I'm positive he will survive, and make his way back to Kings Landing with Brienne. My question is, what would drive Jaime to strangle his former lover in cold blood?

Meanwhile, Cersei has gone through some hellish events in Kings Landing, and I'm all but certain she is not broken. Rather, she is going to come back even more vindictive and unhinged. Her hatred for the Tyrells and the High Septon will be at an all time high, and there is no way in hell she is going to lose her trial, even if Sandor Clegane arrives in the nick of time to slay his undead brother. It will not happen - if Jaime or Cersei dies via execution early on, it will be the single most anticlimactic moment in the series. It's also important to note that GRRM has created an extremely high amount of parallels between Queen Cersei and The Mad King. For example:

- Burning The Tower of the Hand

- Her extreme paranoia regarding her court.

- Her questionable right hand man Qyburn can be viewed as a parallel to Rossart.

Now, there's a reason there was such emphasis on her burning the Tower. We know there are caches of wildfire stashed around Kings Landing, and what better way to have her revenge than to burn the city to the ground, killing everybody within. In one fell swoop it would also serve to render the Iron Throne useless, leaving characters like Stannis and Aegon to focus their attention to other things (The Others and Dany respectively.) Not saying the show is canon, but in Dany's house of the undying vision, she walks around the Red Keep, which has been burned down. I think the parallels between Cersei and Aerys are there for a reason, and it will culmulate with her burning the city down and getting the hell back to Casterly Rock by the ends of WOW.

Now Jaime, who has pretty much tarnished his entire reputation to prevent this very act from happening, will arrive at the smouldering ruin of KL. Clearly, he will break down, somehow figure out that it was Cersei's doing, and that she fled Casterly Rock with Robert Strong and Qyburn. This will lead him there (remember his dream of Casterly Rock), just as WOW is coming to a close. Now, the reason I believe he will survive the encounter with Cersei is because he still has unfinished business with Tyrion.

Speaking of Tyrion, we know is he half way across the world doing Essosian things with Essosian people. I imagine he will somehow work his magic and become a pivotal member of Dany's entourage, and by the end of WOW, be well on their way to Westeros. It's important to note that Tyrion thinks about his siblings constantly over the course of ADWD, and that Jaime's betrayal has had a complicated effect on him. Another thing that drives Tyrion is his obsession with Casterly Rock, which coincidentally, will be where Jaime and Cersei are going to be headed. I believe that he is destined to invade Casterly Rock with Dany, who will help him conquer it as a favour.

Before all of this happens, Jaime and Brienne, now sporting a fancy new Hound helmet to hide her disfigurement, will have an epic fight against Robert Strong, which ties in to Bran's dream of the golden armoured man and the hound helmeted warrior way back in AGOT. Somehow, they will win, even if Brienne dies heroically, and Jaime will have one last meeting with his sister, which will end in the prophecy of the valonquar coming to fruition, just as Tyrion arrives with Dany and her army. How ironic would it be if Tyrion even tried to save Cersei in the end, and if that would be the last thing she saw? A fitting end, for a great character.

I truly believe that Tyrion will meet Jaime at Casterly Rock because Jaime is one of the only people on Dany's shit list that remains alive, and like I said, the brothers have unfinished business. When Dany arrives at CR, her army will capture Jaime and hold him hostage in the cellars. Now, it seems only appropriate that Tyrion have a change of heart, because we all know he actually loves Jaime and won't wish death upon him. That said, he will betray Dany (betrayal for love) by freeing Jaime, repaying the favour. From a narrative standpoint, the parallel is just to strong to ignore.

To be honest, I don't really know what will happen to Jaime and Tyrion after that point, as it is anybodies guess. Some think they will end up at the wall, helping in the fight against the others. There are some interesting threads here on Jaime and Jon Snows connections that provide some evidence. I really don't know! But I do feel confident that my prediction has a chance of coming true.

I hope people can speculate here about the fate of what I consider to be the three finest characters in the series, and hope that TWOW is ripe with Jaime, Cersei, and Tyrion POVS. Thanks for reading!

Brienne doesn't have the hounds helm Lem has the hounds helm. I really like your betrayal for love theory, but I don't think Brans dream involved Brienne. The two men below the Mountain were imo Oberyn and Sandor. Everything else in that dream was a current vision, not the future. So it being Oberyn and Sandor who already held their hatred for the Mountain would make sense.

A great post, King of Limbs!

But do you think the story will finish openended, with the threat from the Others continuing to hang over Martinworld, meaning the Nightwatch will be needed infinitely? The Nightwatch is, admittedly, a good place for male characters who are supposed to have a bittersweet ending but what would it be good for in the end?

Wouldn't Martin give a conclusion to the the Others' story as well? I think it would be fitting if magic left the world, the dragons perish and the Wall as the greatest human construction melts down like the glaciers in our world, not as a sign of doom like in our reality but a sign of hope.

I'm also in agreement that Jaime is Cersei's Valonqar, but that he will survive killing her and not die until ADoS (but that she will die in TWoW). I think that Jaime will find out that Cersei killed Tommen before lighting King's Landing on fire (perhaps when Faegon comes; and probably through poison, like she almost did during Blackwater), and then be so enraged that he decides to kill her.

I also think that Dany is going to arrest Jaime (like how Cersei arrested Tyrion), and since Lannisters always pay their debts, Tyrion will go to Jaime and free him, which will repair their relationship somewhat. Dany will be pissed that Tyrion freed the Kingslayer, but of course, we'll see if Dany heeds what Tyrion tells her, because I certainly don't see Tyrion holding back any information about her father like Jorah and Barristan did.

I like your theory a lot!!

I can't wait to go to Casterly Rock, I think Jaime is the Valonqar and will survive the encounter, and I love your version of the Betrayal for love! Never heard this one before but it makes sense, it really could happen. But for it to really count as a Betrayal, it must have a real impact on Dany, because just freeing a prisoner (and a pretty much useless one) isn't a big Betrayal to my eyes... If Dany comes to really trust Tyrion though, I guess it could be considered as such.

Also, Jaime has already been freed from jail by someone betraying their king's trust (Catelyn), wouldn't it be too much of a repetition if the same scenario occurred again with Tyrion?

There's no way both Jamie and Brienne will survive the Stoneheart encounter.

I hear lots of people say this and it always surprises me - clearly Jaime's character arc is nowhere near finished, and his death won't help move the story along in any regards. Brienne might die, if one of them has to. But then, what would have been the point of her POV? I think GRRM must have something planned out for her, we've followed her along one of the less exciting stories so far but I'm sure when coming up with characters to write about he must have had some idea about why they were necessary for the story.

Also, good post OP, as others have said, not sure if it will all come to light exactly as you predicted (if that were possible, asoiaf would be far less fun!) but I think the burning of Kings Landing being the catalyst for Jaime going valonquar on Cersei is a good call.

I can totally get behind this theory since I've also noticed the Cersei-Aerys parallels particularly the Tower of the Hand, and I've also had the thought that she may burn down King's Landing when Aegon approaches, getting her revenge on Margaery and the High Sparrow and all of the city. Alternately she may lose her trial by combat (although this may be unlikely considering her champion) and go out with a bang. I'd love to see Casterly Rock properly as well!

I do think the Lannister siblings have a ways to go, especially Jaime and Tyrion. Cersei I think will perish in the destruction of KL. Jaime for some reason I see dying nobly in the final battle against the Others in A Dream of Spring. Tyrion? He may ride a dragon if there are any available (they've got two huge battles ahead- Meereen and Aegon). Lord of Casterly Rock? Maybe. I just hope he doesn't die. Otherwise I may impslap GRRM.

I liked the part where Jaime sees KL burned to the ground and collapses. Reminds me in LotR when Aragorn sees the Corsairs.

I don't see why the valonquar strangling has to be an act of cold blooded murder. Perhaps it will be a request, maybe assisted suicide or a mercy killing. Maybe at the end Cersei has nothing left and requests it.

I don't see why the valonquar strangling has to be an act of cold blooded murder. Perhaps it will be a request, maybe assisted suicide or a mercy killing. Maybe at the end Cersei has nothing left and requests it.

Yes, I can imagine something like this: Jaime comes back to Cersei, finds that she is utterly crazy, that she still craves for power but now that she has lost everything she is pitiful. Then she will ask Jaime to kill all of her enemies, and then change her mind and ask him to kill them both, so they can leave this world together as they came into it together. But Jaime has a very strong will to live now, even without Cersei; so he will mercy-kill her and go on with his life.

Nah. It's Tommen, I'm telling you. Dead Tommen, that is. Or undead, to be precise.

True, I expect some kind of three-way confrontation between Tyrion (mebbe aided by Dany), Jaime and Cersei, quite probably around Casterly Rock. After little Tommen's death (who somehow managed to outlive his sister, yet couldn't escape the Stranger forever), with, let's say, Cersei going totally batshit insane in grief, Jaime with her inside the Rock and Tyrion besieging the castle, we'll be making bets which one of the Lannister brothers gets to kill their big sister (with various plot twists making it an exciting and unpredictable contest)... Tommen will rise as a wight, choke the life out of his mother and at the same time demonstrate that the entire realm is nose-deep in (quickly freezing) shit. The Others came South.

"Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

And only now it all fits. Including the "the", not "your" (valonqar). Your kids will die, and then the youngest will kill you, Maggy said. Logical. Cersei's own fault that she misinterpreted that. B)

I'm also in agreement that Jaime is Cersei's Valonqar, but that he will survive killing her and not die until ADoS (but that she will die in TWoW). I think that Jaime will find out that Cersei killed Tommen before lighting King's Landing on fire (perhaps when Faegon comes; and probably through poison, like she almost did during Blackwater), and then be so enraged that he decides to kill her.

I also think that Dany is going to arrest Jaime (like how Cersei arrested Tyrion), and since Lannisters always pay their debts, Tyrion will go to Jaime and free him, which will repair their relationship somewhat. Dany will be pissed that Tyrion freed the Kingslayer, but of course, we'll see if Dany heeds what Tyrion tells her, because I certainly don't see Tyrion holding back any information about her father like Jorah and Barristan did.

Perhaps when Jaime becomes the "queenslayer", that might help Jaime's case with Dany. Dany also already knows her dad had mental issues from Barristan.

Archived