If GRRM hadn't promised us seven books, how many books would you think are left?

The Mountain That Posts

I love these books but I think GRRM's weakness as a writer is that he isn't very good at advancing the story. It get's ever increasingly complex and fascinating but it doesn't get very far in each book. I don't have much confidence in him wrapping it up in 7 books so I'll just hope he can do it in 8.

a total of 12 books seems right. the pacing is in no hurry yet, as if it expects 6 more books to get where it's going. Combine this with the sense I have that we're still not in the home stretch. If we are, then I better start scaling back my expectations for all the things I want to see happen.

Strange, I have the feeling that everything is in place now. I feel like there has been enough setup for all the squabbling about the Iron Throne to let the matter almost rest and focus entirely on the battle with the Others. Half a book to settle the Iron Throne (at the beginning or end of the incoming books) and the rest to fight the Others.

I would say a total of eight or nine books.

I'm just not sure how he's going to wrap up all the storylines in two books, especially not with so many POV characters.

There are a lot of plotlines that I would rather like to see resolved.

They are already falling into line. Barristan, Victarion and Tyrion are already almost joined up and may be join by Dany soon. Asha and Theon are. Jaime and Brienne are. JonCon and Arianne are soon to be. Only GRRM knows how fast the other PoVs will join up. But they will join up, and that will get the story moving way faster and more condensed.

I'm content in seven. Come on! Why eight? Let the Winds of Winter, be be just that! After the battle of Winterfell, let the wall come down, and let a million Whitewalkers invade the whole world. And then the book seven would just probably, wrapped the things ups as Dany and Tyrion with their dragons, Jon and Bran, defeat the Others. two remaining books is enough. Three if we want more complex game of thrones, but there's not going to be much political intrigue, because Winter has come.

I thought initially that he was going to write 12 books, since he spent almost 5 books for autumn and I expected a very long winter and the story to end in spring.

Then I realized that this story is not going to end well for us, and that spring is supposed only to be a dream.. ..not to mention medicine has been not fast enough in its advancements to gift GRRM with immortality.

So now I expect 3 more books. Yeah, he said 2, but I do not trust his judgement.

I love these books but I think GRRM's weakness as a writer is that he isn't very good at advancing the story.

While this may arguably be a valid criticism of the last two books, the first three stand as pretty solid counterexamples. I think you might better express this as a problem GRRM might be experiencing with the series at present, rather than it being a general weakness of his as a writer.

I would say 8 or 9, there has been a buildup of 5 books to the Others storyline, no way it could be finished in just 2 books. We still need to learn loads about the Others, about the Doom, Dany has a lot of stuff to do. Supposedly there are other (lost) dragon eggs in the world, he could include that as well, lost valyrian artifacts to be found, and then the Westerosi GoT conflict. He has enough stuff for 6 more books lol

I think 8 total should be enough. Considering the previous plan was to have 2 trilogies with a 5 year gap between them, I think we're just about ready to start on the second trilogy. The 5-year gap was to let the children grow into their roles, and that's mostly happened: Arya became an assassin, Bran became a greenseer, Jon became a leader, some people believe Sansa became a player, and Dany has (hopefully) embraced her role as a conquerer rather than an administrator. Let the Song begin!

He's been "two books away from the end" since I heard him speak at a signing for Storm of Swords in Denver (November 2000).

I'll believe we're near the end, when he says "the next book will be the last." And then I'll still expect an announcement of a split of the last manuscript before it's published, because the tale kept growing in the telling.

Archived