House Manderly returns to the Reach

King Blackwood

I'd really like to see the Manderlys return to their home along the Mander. They were driven out by the Gardeners, but the Gardeners are long dead.

I'd love to see Wyman become the Lord of Highgarden and High Marshal of the Reach. His House is more ancient than the Tyrells, who were Stewards to the Gardeners and claim female descent from them, and the Florents, who claim to be a cadet branch of the Gardeners.

Plus, while I love how loyal they are to the Starks, I don't like that the only city in the North is lorded over by a Seven-worshipping Andal. The North is for the Old Gods and the First Men!

Also, it would be good for the Starks to have a powerful ally in the South.

I don't think the Manderlys will be given HG. Besides, the Manderlys seem to be powerful lords in their respective region where they are, complete with silver mines and dominance over commerce of the White Knife, the most important river in the North.

I don't think the Manderlys will be given HG. Besides, the Manderlys seem to be powerful lords in their respective region where they are, complete with silver mines and dominance over commerce of the White Knife, the most important river in the North.

I know. I don't really see it as all that possible. Perhaps if the Florents betray Stannis? But that is a long shot, and the Manderlys may not even accept the offer. Who knows

Edit: I'd just really like to see it happen haha

I want highgarden to be gone to the florents for their unwavering loyalty and resilience. (there were few lapses but still florents are loyal people). Manderly's will be always northmen IMHO.

Florents are awful.

Axell and Selyse are enough for me to hate them permanently.

Maybe an offshoot of House Manderly could go back and take over but I think Wyman and Wylis will stay in the north. If Manderly does side with Stannis they they could organise marriages for Wylis's daughters and members of House Florent, maybe even Edric Storm who could take the Manderly name.

I think I floated this idea in a different thread about the Manderlys a few months ago, but I couldn't find it. I think a significant portion of the north will be heading south because of winter anyway, so it makes sense to set up some supportive houses in other regions. I also think that the Tyrells' habit of jumping ship over and over again to the side winning at the time will come back to haunt them at some point, with whoever ends up ruling deciding they don't need such a disloyal house in a prominent position of power.

Of all the northern houses large enough to support a cadet branch, Manderly is an obvious one to establish a "northern" house in the south, especially since they're named after the Mander, or vice versa.

On a separate note, does anybody know if the Marlon Manderly mentioned in Dance's White Harbor chapter is Donella Hornwood's brother. They're both described as cousins of Wyman, so it'd be interesting if Donella is Marlon little sister. If so, it'll be an interesting twist as to exactly how Ramsay will be dealt with. It'd be fitting if Marlon and Wyman decided to lock Ramsay up in a cell at the Hornwood castle to die the same way Lady Donella did.

I also think that the Tyrells' habit of jumping ship over and over again to the side winning at the time will come back to haunt them at some point, with whoever ends up ruling deciding they don't need such a disloyal house in a prominent position of power.

Renly died, they didn't jump ship. They stayed on the same side during Roberts Rebellion, didn't change side in DofD and did not betray the Gardeners in Aegons conquest or betray the Targs in the Blackfyre rebellion.

Are the Manderly's even descended from the Gardeners?

I can't see many reach lords being okay with them being rulers of HG if not.

We don't know for sure if they are, but "half the Houses" in the Reach are descended from Garth Greenhand, according to Olenna. Plus, a Manderly-Tyrell marriage could easily remedy the claim to Highgarden. The Manderlys are an older House, and still maintain the title "Lord Marshal of the Mander".

The Manderlys have been in the north for so long they likely wouldn't fit in down in the south, and if they did decide to go back they likely wouldn't enjoy it. They have been given so much by the Starks who picked them up while they were down its not likely they'd leave everything they've gained behind to return to a place they didn't feel wanted. If you asked them they'd almost certainly identify themselves as Northerners, not Southerners IN the north.

The Manderlys have been in the north for so long they likely wouldn't fit in down in the south, and if they did decide to go back they likely wouldn't enjoy it. They have been given so much by the Starks who picked them up while they were down its not likely they'd leave everything they've gained behind to return to a place they didn't feel wanted. If you asked them they'd almost certainly identify themselves as Northerners, not Southerners IN the north.

I'm not going to deny that they may prefer the North now, but they were driven out by the Gardeners who are now gone. Speculation either way as to whether they would enjoy it or not is just that: speculation.

Archived