Marvel Cinematic Universe: General Discussion

protar

I agree we're probably never going to see the X-men as part of the MCU. Even if some deal could be established the continuity is such a hot mess (and wouldn't even gel with the MCU continuity even if it was internally consistent.) that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I remain optimistic for Spiderman and F4. I'm assuming the F4 rights work similarly to the Spiderman rights in that a new film must be made within a certain period of time in order to retain them. We've had so little word on the 2015 F4 reboot, so if that falls through it seems like the opportunity will be gone for Sony. As for Spiderman there's just too much profit potential there for both companies imo, once you sort out who gets a share of what and how the characters have to be used. The continuity still gels pretty well too. AS1 was small scale enough that it's not too much of a stretch that it's not been mentioned before in the MCU. AS2 looks to be a lot bigger (to be expected.), but if a deal is sorted out after it's released you can put references to the events in the final Phase 2 films. It might be a bit of an awkward join but it would soon smooth out imo.

There's more chance of Fantastic Four bombing so badly it becomes toxic. Then again if I were Disney I'd be seeing if there was a way to introduce the incredibles into the MCU. They'd work as replacements.

There's too much potential for the X-men films for them to be ever handed back - same with Spidey. I think there could be collaborations down the line (eg when superhero films are no longer the in thing) where we could see all the characters together or basically creating an who's who of Avengers. They managed to pull it off with "who framed Roger Rabbit" which was essentially Disney and WB having to collaborate.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting Spiderman would be handed back. But potentially they could do a deal so that Marvel could use Spiderman providing Sony gets a cut of the profit whenever he appears and they stick to the continuity of the Amazing Spiderman Films. And of course the same deal could happen with MCU characters appearing in Sony films. That way both companies get a lot of good PR, and they make more money both from their characters cameoing in other films and from the extra revenue these crossovers would hopefully generate.

Maybe it's idiotic, but I'm remaining optimistic that at some point after AS2 they'll come up with some sort of deal. I mean it was already planned for Oscorp tower to appear in the Avengers. It never happened, but it got pretty close to happening from what I heard. Little cameos like that could be sorted out first to smooth out the continuity.

I believe Punisher has reverted to Marvel/Disney.

It has. Given that Daredevil is now only worthy of TV - I suspect there may be a TV show down the line featuring Blade, The Punisher, Elektra and Ghost Rider (if they limit his flaming skullness).

It has. Given that Daredevil is now only worthy of TV - I suspect there may be a TV show down the line featuring Blade, The Punisher, Elektra and Ghost Rider (if they limit his flaming skullness).

As it happens there was a deal with Netflix last month (just found out.). They're doing series' for Daredevil, Luke Cage, Immortal Ironfist and Jessica Jones which will then team up in a Defenders Miniseries.

http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_develop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event

As it happens there was a deal with Netflix last month (just found out.). They're doing series' for Daredevil, Luke Cage, Immortal Ironfist and Jessica Jones which will then team up in a Defenders Miniseries.

http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_devetlop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event

Yeah, that's why I was thinking they may do a similar thing with the "marvel knights" characters. Blade and Punisher seem well suited to TV - although it failed the first time around for Blade. It all depends on whether Marvel want to do darker stories that aren't all ages.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking they may do a similar thing with the "marvel knights" characters. Blade and Punisher seem well suited to TV - although it failed the first time around for Blade. It all depends on whether Marvel want to do darker stories that aren't all ages.

Just from looking it up quickly it seems there's a fair bit of overlap between the Marvel Knights and the Hell's Kitchen characters so it would probably be an extension of those 4 Netflix series.

A Daredevil/Spiderman crossover would be great at some point too.

I had completely forgotten that they ever tried to make Blade into a TV series!

In retrospect it was probably doomed to fail when the lead actor is credited as Sticky Fingaz. :stunned:

Just from looking it up quickly it seems there's a fair bit of overlap between the Marvel Knights and the Hell's Kitchen characters so it would probably be an extension of those 4 Netflix series.

A Daredevil/Spiderman crossover would be great at some point too.

They could call it phase 2 of their TV project and most of them would fit into Hell's kitchen quite nicely.

I had completely forgotten that they ever tried to make Blade into a TV series!

In retrospect it was probably doomed to fail when the lead actor is credited as Sticky Fingaz. :stunned:

The execution was lacking but there were some fun ideas in there like humans snorting vampire ashes to gain powers. I think Geoff Johns had a large part in it before he became a DC comics guy

I personally don't think "ant-man" is exciting enough to have his own thread yet so I'll mention it here that Paul Rudd is playing the lead role.I think he'll fit the roll better than Joseph Gordon Levitt anyhow (I think his comedic acting is stronger and assume Edgar Wright will be going that direction). Then again it's probably no coincidence that this decision was made so shortly after JGL signed on developing a Sandman movie. Probably isn't entirely pettiness as the scheduling may have conflcted.

EDIT: Ah, looks like others think it is worthy of its own thread

I'm kind of confused as to why Ant-man is going after Age of Ultron and not before. Not only is Ant-man Ultron's creator in the comics but Ant-man is a rather risky venture to start a phase off with.

Of course there's been speculation that Stark will be the one to create Ultron in the MCU which would certainly be interesting. Would that they'd worked that into Ironman 3 somehow, even if it was just a post-credits sequence of an armour prototype becoming sentient.

I'm kind of confused as to why Ant-man is going after Age of Ultron and not before. Not only is Ant-man Ultron's creator in the comics but Ant-man is a rather risky venture to start a phase off with.

Of course there's been speculation that Stark will be the one to create Ultron in the MCU which would certainly be interesting. Would that they'd worked that into Ironman 3 somehow, even if it was just a post-credits sequence of an armour prototype becoming sentient.

They've stated that Ultron is not created by hank pym in the movie and Pym will not feature.

It depends on how silly guardians will turn out before I know how silly antman could be. I'm sure Marvel has a limit.

Bringing this over from the Antman thread.

What are the general expectations for (or what is known about) Guardians of the Galaxy?

I've been reading some of the cosmic events following Annihilation and while I'm not particularly impressed by the writing, there is some potential there. Even Rocket Raccoon isn't too silly. Plus one kind of has to give them credit for having a telepathic Russian dog as mission control/transporter chief and living in the severed head of Megamaid from Spaceballs.

I think GoG will be an MiB type movie, and the success will depend on the following:

-Special effects (Hopefully check)

-How hot Gamora and Star Lord are (Check, I'm assuming)

-Sex appeal in general (Think alien hotties)

-How funny the raccoon is (?)

-Actual plot (?)

Getting 2 studios to collaborate is difficult... getting 3 studios is next to impossible.... Sony seems totally clueless about the product they are milking.

But regardless, although i doubt any of these will ever happen, I would love to see the story arcs from "House of M", through Civil War, Dark Reign, Secret invasion, The Initiative, Endangered Species, Planet Hulk/World War Hulk, Messiah Complex, Siege, Fear Itself, etc etc etc until we get to AvX

A nerd can dream....

More realistically, I hope that the street level Heroes for Hire series and Marvel's relationship with Netflix is everything that it can be. Other than Spiderman, Marvel owns all of the NYC properties... Cage/Rand/Misty/Jessica Jones/DareDevil/Electra/Punisher/Dr Strange/Moon Knight/ that could make something like this great.

I wouldn't mind them partnering up with HBO either.

Archived