West of Westeros.

Mr. James

So have we ever established what exists on the opposite side of the Sunset sea? I recall there being some legend about a northerner sailing west and never returning but I might be mistaken. So what happens if a fleet sets out west from the Iron Islands or Lannisport or the Arbor? Do they hit an unknown land or do they eventually end up hitting "the far east" IE Yi-Ti/Asshai/ eastern Sothoryos?

Gylbert Farwynd said he found a whole new land. However, the eastern coast of Essos is likely unknown to most if not all Westerosi, so I wouldn't be surprised if he simply landed there. Same with Brandon the Shipwright. But I'm not against the possibility of a new continent.

Yeah, we'll need a Columbus type idiot who gets lucky, or a technology advancement before anyone braves such a trip.

Well we already have Brandon the Shipwright and Farwynds. Too bad they didn't make it back to Westeros.

Seafaring is dangerous business. They may have missed a crucial bit of land by only a few miles.

My crackpot; Brandon the Shipwright found new land colonized it, and a buch of Stark supporters will descend on the III and Riverlands before/during the fight against the Others! :D

The Kingdoms of the Ifeqevron

A big ocean and eventually Yi-ti and Asshai, GRRM has said the world is round, and I adhere to the theory that Euron did return to Pyke fromt he west after his travels in Valyria, Qarth and Asshai, that's why he was so confident about leading the Iron Fleet so deep into the sunset sea before attacking the Shield Islands

I agree with all of the theories on the world being round.

If the sunset sea leads from Asshai to the west coast of Westeros, I could see Dany using this way to get her army to Westeros thus fulfilling Quaithe's prophecy saying Dany needs to pass under the shadow (Asshai by the Shadow) to touch the light (Westeros).

If there is another continent over there, I just don't see how we have time to address that with only two books left and so many other plot points.

Although, I do love the idea of a bunch of Starks descended from Brandon the Shipwright to come back and help restore the Starks to power. Jojen did say the wolves will return.

There is also the Asshai cog found sunken off the west coast of Westeros, (north of the wall). There is no other reason for it to be there other than a failed exploration of the world. (It is mentioned by Mance, it's where the red silk that was used to fix his coat came from)

I agree with all of the theories on the world being round.

If the sunset sea leads from Asshai to the west coast of Westeros, I could see Dany using this way to get her army to Westeros thus fulfilling Quaithe's prophecy saying Dany needs to pass under the shadow (Asshai by the Shadow) to touch the light (Westeros).

If there is another continent over there, I just don't see how we have time to address that with only two books left and so many other plot points.

Although, I do love the idea of a bunch of Starks descended from Brandon the Shipwright to come back and help restore the Starks to power. Jojen did say the wolves will return.

I think you'll find this thread by Frey Fillet very interesting http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/85348-kingdoms-of-the-ifeqevron/

Ifeqevron is Dothraki for foreigner. Their Kingdoms are located in a densly forested area. Most people in the thread thought that the Ifeqevron were either:

1) CotF

2) Decendants of Brandon the Shipwrights fleet.

I belonged to the second school. I don't think they'll play any role in the series or whatever but I do believe we'll get a bit of a namedrop sooner or later, so that we know what they are.

There is also the Asshai cog found sunken off the west coast of Westeros, (north of the wall). There is no other reason for it to be there other than a failed exploration of the world. (It is mentioned by Mance, it's where the red silk that was used to fix his coat came from)

The silk was from Asshai, the cog could've been from anywhere.

Archived