Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR

Commodore

• 1 month later...

So apparently the movie is 169 minutes in length, which makes it Nolan's longest thus far. Just under three hours. Good news, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, for those interested, New Images From 'Interstellar' Arrive, Christopher Nolan Says The Film Is A "Mirror" Of 'Inception'

"It's almost a mirror image of "Inception." It expands out in the way "Inception" contracts inwards," he told the magazine (via ComingSoon), adding "it's a very classically constructed movie, but the freshness of the narrative elements really enhance it. I liken it to the blockbusters I grew up with as a kid, family films in the best sense: edgy, incisive, challenging." And you can probably add another adjective: emotional.

I've heard universal praise for it's very unique use of the same kid over 12 years, but mixed feelings on the story itself.

Yeah, that's all I ever hear about it but rarely about the story. I can see it scoring high on an artisitic level but not sure if it's that good a film. I will. of course, need to see the film for myself at some point.

I'm pleased the hype has been muted for Interstellar. I was worried it would be mega-hyped and JJ Abrams style cockteasing but instead they've left it mysterious. that or I'e simply managed to avoid all the promo material.

"Jupiter Ascending" elicits a profound "Meh" from me.

All rational thought suggests it should do, but I'm hoping against illogical hope that we get a space opera so good that Star Wars coming out at the tail end of the year gets a bit occluded.

And, well, they did make The Matrix.

All rational thought suggests it should do, but I'm hoping against illogical hope that we get a space opera so good that Star Wars coming out at the tail end of the year gets a bit occluded.

And, well, they did make The Matrix.

Considering the basic premise of it and the looks of it, it looks like its gonna be a very bad cheesefest. In no way will it be a good movie.

Interstellar at least has potential.

Considering the basic premise of it and the looks of it, it looks like its gonna be a very bad cheesefest. In no way will it be a good movie.

Don't forget it getting pushed back almost a year to like next February.

That's a sign of "Test audiences shit all over it" usually.

Often, but in this day and age, the 'we needed to finish the effects' excuse is actually true some of the time (it happened to Gravity, for starters), and visually from the trailers it's incredibly ambitious so I think it's plausible.

I'm super-wary for reasons of the delay and Matrix Revolutions, but I'm still interested to see it.

Interstellar at least has potential.

Not really sure what you have against the premise. Silly, sure, but lots of films are silly, which doesn't stop them being good. It's no more silly than Star Wars or the Marvel movies.

With Interstellar, I'm just getting the sinking feeling that Nolan's overreached himself again, in part because of quotes in the Empire interview in which he tells us how edgy and progressive and all the storytelling in this movie is. I always get nervous when a creator does that with their own work.

Well I know I'm the only one but I'm still holding out for John Carter 2.

I never understood the hate. Felt like Disney threw the director and franchise under the bus by not bothering to promote it and allow all the negative buzz to kill it. Probably because they knew they almost had star wars in their grasp.

I suspect there's something very wrong with Jupiter ascending given the delay. Then again GI Joe 2 had similar days (on grounds of it being shit) and the reshoots/edits made it watchable and certainly an improvement over the first one.

I don't know much about Interstellar but what I know of JA has me more worried

I never understood the hate. Felt like Disney threw the director and franchise under the bus by not bothering to promote it and allow all the negative buzz to kill it. Probably because they knew they almost had star wars in their grasp.

I suspect there's something very wrong with Jupiter ascending given the delay. Then again GI Joe 2 had similar days (on grounds of it being shit) and the reshoots/edits made it watchable and certainly an improvement over the first one.

I don't know much about Interstellar but what I know of JA has me more worried

Oh hell no. They did the exact opposite. They gave Stanton complete creative control and a huge budget based on his work for Pixar and told him "Go nuts!". They even gave him control of marketing.

Stanton just fucked that shit up all by himself. He produced a mediocre film and tried to market it on the mistaken idea that the majority of people even knew wtf John Carter of Mars was.

So apparently the movie is 169 minutes in length, which makes it Nolan's longest thus far. Just under three hours. Good news, as far as I'm concerned.

I think that Nolan has just forgotten how to make a movie that isn't bloated and overly long. Maybe Interstellar will prove me wrong, but the length has me a tad worried.

January and February seem to be the dumping ground for Hollywood's schlock or at least the films that no one has any faith in.

Archived