Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR

Commodore

Mr. Fez, I agree that I don't like seeing too much in a trailer (the Godzilla example is a good example of a great example), but I wanna see something. Random footage of stuff that has happened throughout history is basically saying 'we are making a movie'. I get that it's an 'announcement trailer' and that's what it's supposed to do, but I know that it's a thing from IMDB. The 'Dark Knight Rises' trailer was only a voiceover of previous film footage mixed with like 2 shots from the movie it was announcing, but it told me that the tone of the film would be similar to that of its predecessors, and conveyed that 'evil is rising' and that Bane is scary.

'Interstellar' has informed me that humanity likes to innovate, and that the name is 'Interstellar'. I can infer that it has something to do with going into space, but that is where the information ends. I learned more about this movie from some weird girl with a bad British accent interviewing some dude than I did from the trailer. Doesn't make sense, is all I'm sayin', gov'na!

There's nothing wrong with seeing something, but considering how often movie trailers spoil everything, I'd rather go to the opposite extreme. And this trailer does tell that its a movie, with Matthew McConaughey, about space, with a hopeful tone, and is presumably science fiction (what with all the talk about innovation) as opposed to something like Gravity. That's pretty much all I need to know, a year out.

There are other ways to do a good trailer of course. I hadn't seen the Godzilla trailer (I'm still scared by the one from the '90s) but I just watched it, and yeah, that's works too.

The Prestige is my favorite movie, ever. With Memento being a close second, and I am also glad that Mr. Nolan doesn't appear to be burdened with having action in this film.

For the record, I am not trying to hate on this project, I'm actually very excited for it. I just didn't find the trailer to be very good or interesting, is all.

Mr. Fez, I guess this just comes down to a different opinion. Not a big deal at the end of the day, though.

I'm happy he decided to become a real actor. Always had talent.

I think Family guy summed it up pretty well. Maybe he started to worry his looks wouldn't carry him forever, maybe he has enough money to be picky or he even thought "I'm going to start acting again". Whatever motivated him, I'm pleased he changed as his roles of late have been really interesting. I'm also looking forward to his role in the HBO detective show next year.

A film about us getting out into space is something I can get behind. Although they are going to have to ramp up the hype if it wants to have any hope of competing with the Hobbit next year.

2014 looks like it could be a bumper year for sci-fi movies. Hopefully not a bumper year for gorgeously expensive films with no real heart which was the case this year (barring a few exceptions).

A film about us getting out into space is something I can get behind. Although they are going to have to ramp up the hype if it wants to have any hope of competing with the Hobbit next year.

It could just be me, but I do think it's quite possible for a Nolan film to have more hype around it than the hobbit. With TDKR, Inception, the anticipation was palpable. I don't sense the same with the Hobbit films.

I do love that McConaughey has gone from massive joke to perhaps the most interesting actor in Hollywood. Nowadays if he's in a movie it pretty much guarantees that it's worth a look - literally the opposite of what he was.

If DC/WB end up with a Batman franchise out of Batman vs Superman and decide they need a Joker, I'd be totally okay with him taking it on.

Although they are going to have to ramp up the hype if it wants to have any hope of competing with the Hobbit next year.

They've put out a trailer a year out - I think that pretty much qualifies.

I do love that McConaughey has gone from massive joke to perhaps the most interesting actor in Hollywood. Nowadays if he's in a movie it pretty much guarantees that it's worth a look - literally the opposite of what he was.

If DC/WB end up with a Batman franchise out of Batman vs Superman and decide they need a Joker, I'd be totally okay with him taking it on.

They've put out a trailer a year out - I think that pretty much qualifies.

That's a very intriguing prospect. I like it.

I'm happy he decided to become a real actor. Always had talent.

This.

When he's on his game, he's very good. When he phones it it or just plays himself, then meh.

Luckily, he gave more emotion driving away from that house then he has in the last 10 years of his films.

The Prestige is my favorite movie, ever. With Memento being a close second, and I am also glad that Mr. Nolan doesn't appear to be burdened with having action in this film.

For the record, I am not trying to hate on this project, I'm actually very excited for it. I just didn't find the trailer to be very good or interesting, is all.

Mr. Fez, I guess this just comes down to a different opinion. Not a big deal at the end of the day, though.

I thought the trailer was kinda boring myself.

I think a bit of actual footage would help.

Luckily, he gave more emotion driving away from that house then he has in the last 10 years of his films.

I think that's only true of his movies up until 2009 (the awful Ghosts of Girlfriends Past). After that he took a break until 2011, and since then its been on good role and after another, and he's been winning or nominated for acting awards for all of them; except The Lincoln Lawyer. But that was still a good flick, and was the first in his new line of "actually giving a shit about acting" movies that has continued until now.

I was just watching it wondering what was the pressing urge about going into space. Seems to be plenty of arable farmland around and it's not even the future yet! :P

There was a hell of a lot of problems with Inception but I thought it was probably still Nolan's best, since he had free reign to play around with whatever he wanted. Hard to think he's going to get that again but the film is clearly going to be big if both WB and Paramount are financing it.

I think that's only true of his movies up until 2009 (the awful Ghosts of Girlfriends Past). After that he took a break until 2011, and since then its been on good role and after another, and he's been winning or nominated for acting awards for all of them; except The Lincoln Lawyer. But that was still a good flick, and was the first in his new line of "actually giving a shit about acting" movies that has continued until now.

Yea, agreed.

The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike, Mud, Dallas Buyer's Club, Killer Joe...all showcasing his excellent acting. Still have Intersteller, The Wolf of Wall Street and True Detective upcoming. Not a wrong foot in any of those movies.

Yea, agreed.

The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike, Mud, Dallas Buyer's Club, Killer Joe...all showcasing his excellent acting. Still have Intersteller, The Wolf of Wall Street and True Detective upcoming. Not a wrong foot in any of those movies.

Don't forget Bernie, or The Paperboy (which was more trashy than good, but was at least fun; and he was good in it).

That's seven good to very good movies in two years, and The Wolf of Wall Street will make eight; he's been very busy. Making up for lost time I guess.

Don't forget Bernie, or The Paperboy (which was more trashy than good, but was at least fun; and he was good in it).

That's seven good to very good movies in two years, and The Wolf of Wall Street will make eight; he's been very busy. Making up for lost time I guess.

I never saw either of those so couldn't comment. Had no idea how good he was in them or that he was even in them to begin with.

So do we know that this is going to even be a sci-fi film for sure?

Because my takeaway, after watching the teaser, is that it's going to be a movie about someone trying to start up a space program or get NASA back up and running. The teaser seems to me like it's setting up a movie that will be about trying to get back into space, rather than a movie that actually takes place there.

So do we know that this is going to even be a sci-fi film for sure?

Because my takeaway, after watching the teaser, is that it's going to be a movie about someone trying to start up a space program or get NASA back up and running. The teaser seems to me like it's setting up a movie that will be about trying to get back into space, rather than a movie that actually takes place there.

While the actual plot details have been kept under wraps (something Nolan productions are good at doing), some of the premise is known.

"The new script chronicles the adventures of a group of explorers who make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage."

Okay. If what you posted in the spoiler tag is true, then the teaser does a really shitty job of conveying that.

Okay. If what you posted in the spoiler tag is true, then the teaser does a really shitty job of conveying that.

Its a quote from the studio press release that Deadline ran. It may not totally capture what the movie's about, but I doubt the studios (its a joint Paramount, Warner Bros, Legendary production) would out and out lie.

Back in August, THR speculated (not sure on what) that the plot would also involved

"

The plot is believed to involve time travel and alternate dimensions, but other details are being kept under wraps."

Archived