Small Questions v 10020

Stubby

what exactly is a salt wife? Is it a "politically correct" term that the iron born use instead of calling them slaves?

Women kidnapped and being used as "sex slaves". Yeap, one can say it is politically correct term.

what do the dots under my name mean? (I have 2, the poster above me has 8)

Posting levels. The more posts, the more dots. Maximum is 8, which you get when you reach "Council member" title.

why doesn't anyone other than LF know accounting in westeros? Does the double sided entry method of accounting exist in westeros?

I wouldn't say that. There are a lot of people who can, only that we have been focused only on LF.

Does Stannis' helmet have antlers? I can't remember him ever wearing one but if he did that would be cool.

No, Stannis is not the type to wear ornamented armour. If you look at him and his belongings throughout the books you see that the only time he really wears anything resembling "flash" is his flame crown.

When does Barristan disagree with the notion that Jaeherys is weak?

The wiki says so.

Propably has to do with this incident in ADWD. Hizdahr has just received Groleo's head from the Yunkish envoy.

Ser Barristan glanced toward the throne. He had served so many kings, he could not help but imagine how they might have reacted to this provocation. Aerys would have flinched away in horror, likely cutting himself on the barbs of the Iron Throne, then shrieked at his swordsmen to cut the Yunkishmen to pieces. Robert would have shouted for his hammer to repay Bloodbeard in kind. Even Jaehaerys, reckoned weak by many, would have ordered the arrest of Bloodbeard and the Yunkish slavers.

Propably has to do with this incident in ADWD. Hizdahr has just received Groleo's head from the Yunkish envoy.

Ser Barristan glanced toward the throne. He had served so many kings, he could not help but imagine how they might have reacted to this provocation. Aerys would have flinched away in horror, likely cutting himself on the barbs of the Iron Throne, then shrieked at his swordsmen to cut the Yunkishmen to pieces. Robert would have shouted for his hammer to repay Bloodbeard in kind. Even Jaehaerys, reckoned weak by many, would have ordered the arrest of Bloodbeard and the Yunkish slavers.

I saw that on my kindle search.

I don't think it implies Barristan thinks Jaehaerys isn't weak.

I saw that on my kindle search.

I don't think it implies Barristan thinks Jaehaerys isn't weak.

Yeah, it's kinda weak... :) The sentence really doesn't give much evidence on whether Barry agrees or disagrees.

why doesn't anyone other than LF know accounting in westeros? Does the double sided entry method of accounting exist in westeros?

I imagine the maesters of the citadel would all be required to know basic accounting as part of their duties to manage the finances.

LF's real skill is not accounting, it's to have changed the role of the Master of the Coin from managing the crown's revenues and expenditures, and juggling liabilities and incomes so that the Crown can meet its expenses will remaining in debt. It's not dissimilar to how modern corporations operate: they are rarely concerned with paying off their corporate debt, only with meeting their repayment obligations.

To put it another way, it's like going from having $500 k in the bank and living off the interest, to owing the bank $500 k but receiving enough money from the $1 million investment to keep meeting the bare minimum repayment obligations.

Archived