College Basketball: Whose All-American Team is Worse?

Matrim Fox Cauthon

It looked like he had his foot up off of the sideline by the time he caught the ball. After watching it several time in slow mo right now I think it should have been a no-call. I don't know why the refs always have to make a call in that situation.

I think in that situation they do have to make a call - there was enough contact that it warranted it. I do agree though that there have been - over the years - a huge number of calls that did not need to be made because a no call would have been the right outcome.

it d

Or calls that don't appear to make sense - the intentional on, was it Hood?, the breakaway. Was it a foul, yeah but it didn't seem to meet the criteria for intentional.

I think in that situation they do have to make a call - there was enough contact that it warranted it. I do agree though that there have been - over the years - a huge number of calls that did not need to be made because a no call would have been the right outcome.

it d

Or calls that don't appear to make sense - the intentional on, was it Hood?, the breakaway. Was it a foul, yeah but it didn't seem to meet the criteria for intentional.

That "intentional" was an awful call. A flagrant 1 is supposed to have "excessive or severe contact during a live ball" he grabbed the jersey, that's all. This isn't the NBA, we don't have a clear path rule in college (I think we should, but that's a different discussion), therefore that should have just been a standard foul. I don't know the foul situation at that point in the game, but I'm sure that that call had an affect on it.

Michigan-MSU has been pretty good so far.

• 6 months later...

Archived