Paul Rudd is Antman!

trickster

I know next to nothing about Antman, but from what little I do know, Paul Rudd seems like a great choice, and with Edgar Wright directing, this could be an awesome entry into MCU. Especially if they get him involved with the Avengers (I'd love Rudd acting off of the other main heroes).

ETA: For what it's worth, what do people who know more about the character/universe think of the casting? What's Antman's signature personality supposed to be like?

I know next to nothing about Antman, but from what little I do know, Paul Rudd seems like a great choice, and with Edgar Wright directing, this could be an awesome entry into MCU. Especially if they get him involved with the Avengers (I'd love Rudd acting off of the other main heroes).

ETA: For what it's worth, what do people who know more about the character/universe think of the casting? What's Antman's signature personality supposed to be like?

You'd think that with Edgar Wright directing that it'd be the more comedic version of Ant-Man (Eric O'Grady), but Wright has been quoted as saying that the film will feature both the Hank Pym and Scott Lang versions of the character. I think for this character to work in film, it's going to have to be fairly comedic, so I think Rudd certainly works. Hank Pym (the original Ant-Man) is a bit of a dick with an inferiority complex really. Basically an insecure mad scientist who beats his wife and is always trying to outdo his fellow Avengers and failing miserably.

You'd think that with Edgar Wright directing that it'd be the more comedic version of Ant-Man (Eric O'Grady), but Wright has been quoted as saying that the film will feature both the Hank Pym and Scott Lang versions of the character. I think for this character to work in film, it's going to have to be fairly comedic, so I think Rudd certainly works. Hank Pym (the original Ant-Man) is a bit of a dick with an inferiority complex really. Basically an insecure mad scientist who beats his wife and is always trying to outdo his fellow Avengers and failing miserably.

Oh, shit, hadn't heard about that particular little detail. Somehow I can't see them letting that aspect of the character get into the movie.

:lol:

The movie looks great, I can't wait for it!

Though maybe I'm not the best judge as I'd gladly watch Paul Rudd eat Wheaties for a full two hours. Unless he was eating Wheaties in Dinner For Schmucks. That movie sucked.

It's out July 2015 so the only "if" would be some impending disaster. It's as solid as any other film about to come out to be honest.

I mentioned elsewhere that this announcement came pretty sharply after the other contender Joseph Gordon Levitt, announced he was developing and starring in a Sandman movie. They were clearly cool with him not being Batman but apparently you can't act in MArvel and DC films at the same time. To be fair it could just be scheduling issues rather than pettiness.

I also think Rudd is a better fit for a film directed by Edgar Wright as I think Rudd has better comedic talent than JGL. JGL would make a better Sandman than Rudd (if that's the role JGL is looking for)

So Antman is seen as pretty much a joke character (except for the domestic abuse angle, obviously)?

Isn't there a danger that an out and out comedy will be tonally out of step with the rest of the films? Those tend to be funny, but they still take the characters and story seriously (hell, some of the humour derives from that).

No, Ant-Man isn't usually seen as a joke character. At least, not in the Hank Pym incarnation.

Pym was a core member of the Avengers (under several different aliases) for years: he's not in the 'first rank' of the most famous Avengers (Thor, Cap, Hawkeye) but he's up there with the Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Wasp.

The wife-beating incident - well, it was an incident, singular, which is not to excuse it, but merely to make clear that this is one thing that happened in, like, fifty years of the character's existence, that came to dominate the public perception of the character, to the point where it's now the main thing anyone knows about him. (It wasn't exactly out of character, I guess, in that he was often portrayed as somewhat insecure and/or unstable.) I always thought that was at least part of why adaptations of the Avengers tend to miss out Ant-Man.

I don't think it will be an outright comedy but it will be zany as that's Edgar wright's style eg hot fuzz and scott pilgrim. It could also be visually stunning as he has some great ideas and I imagine the antman budget will be his biggest yet,

The wife-beating incident - well, it was an incident, singular, which is not to excuse it, but merely to make clear that this is one thing that happened in, like, fifty years of the character's existence, that came to dominate the public perception of the character, to the point where it's now the main thing anyone knows about him. (It wasn't exactly out of character, I guess, in that he was often portrayed as somewhat insecure and/or unstable.) I always thought that was at least part of why adaptations of the Avengers tend to miss out Ant-Man.

Ah, that explains why in the comic I recently read he gets away with using his wife's superhero name. Would be rather disturbing otherwise.

According to Wikipedia his Ultimate incarnation has the domestic abuse as an actual plot that leads to divorce, but overall the movies seem to mostly borrow stylistic elements from the Ultimate versions of the characters rather than plotlines. I just have to assume that nobody at Marvel would be stupid enough to write the character this way for the movies.

I don't think it will be an outright comedy but it will be zany as that's Edgar wright's style eg hot fuzz and scott pilgrim. It could also be visually stunning as he has some great ideas and I imagine the antman budget will be his biggest yet,

Well Hot Fuzz is very much a crazy, over the top comedy with no care for realism.;)

Here's a bit of context on the wife beating. Apparently the artist drew it wrong! :lol:

Also, Peter Parter and Reed Richards also beat their wives so you know...

Generally I enjoy anything Edgar Wright and/or Joe Cornish do, although their previous collaboration Tintin was only all right. More looking forward to Cornish's film of Snow Crash.

I'm pretty sure they've already stated Ant-man won't be involved in the creation of Ultron. My guess is that Ultron (James Spader) will derive from Jarvis(Paul Bettany). I like Paul Rudd as Hank Pym as well, he's got that likeable quality that Hank has in other media.

Ah, that explains why in the comic I recently read he gets away with using his wife's superhero name. Would be rather disturbing otherwise.

According to Wikipedia his Ultimate incarnation has the domestic abuse as an actual plot that leads to divorce, but overall the movies seem to mostly borrow stylistic elements from the Ultimate versions of the characters rather than plotlines. I just have to assume that nobody at Marvel would be stupid enough to write the character this way for the movies.

Well Hot Fuzz is very much a crazy, over the top comedy with no care for realism. ;)

very true. I guess i meant not like "anchorman" or a Judd apatow kind of film. I don't know, something about Edgar Wright's style makes it feel less like slapstick and one-liners.

Here's a bit of context on the wife beating. Apparently the artist drew it wrong! :lol:

Also, Peter Parter and Reed Richards also beat their wives so you know...

Generally I enjoy anything Edgar Wright and/or Joe Cornish do, although their previous collaboration Tintin was only all right. More looking forward to Cornish's film of Snow Crash.

I think there's a big difference when Wright directs his screenplays though. Plus it may be sacrilege but I haven't loved Cornish's work. Love his TV/radio material but didn't feel tintin or attack the block.

It's true that my love for Joe Cornish is probably a hangover from my childhood days idolising Adam and Joe. But I did think Attack the Block was a decent attempt to do something different with familiar material.

World's End and Scott Pilgrim were enjoyable but nothing special. But everything else Wright's done is so good that I'm going to give him a lot of leeway for at least a few more years yet.

Archived