The Sansa/Stannis List: Who else did you used to hate that you are beginning to love?

Fanless Mace

Jaime comes closest. I didn't actually hate him although I certainly disliked him. I was "warned" early on that Jaime is not so bad really, and so it proved. He's now my favourite character after Tyrion and Ned.

Theon/Sansa to a lesser extent. I disliked Theon but had a lot of sympathy for him in book #5, though he's not one of my favourite characters. And Sansa who I was generally indifferent to (although never actually disliked, and found her chapters interesting) is now, at the very least, my next favourite character after Jaime.

???

Ummm, come again?

Maybe not you, but countless posters have said their opinions of Stannis or Sansa have changed upon progressing through the story or re-reading. I didn't say everyone feels that way.

There, I came again...and you just may not be my target audience for this post. But thanks for playing. Happy?

Jaime! I was definitely warmed up to him in DwD. I started reading GoT again and find myself wondering how could I ever like that guy, he was so vile. I think the fact that his progression is dragged out over 5 books, you forget just how bad of a person he was.

Kind of Cersei. I still don't like her as a person, but I find her one of the more interesting characters to read.

I was absolutely horrorified during ASOS to at first even enjoy Jaime's POVs, to look forward to them as the book continued, and then to understand, like, and appreciate him as the story continued. I do admit, that talk he had with Cat in lockup in ACOK was VERY intriguing, showed lots of insight, but still........I didn't think I'd do a total 180 on my opinion of him at that time. I remember giving a big EFF YEAH at Jaime's capture at The Whispering Wood, and ASOS was a total game changer for me with him. I surrendered, and now.......as a character I love him to death and that is that.

Now, I never hated Sansa but at first I found her to be very annoyingly, stubbornly naive and at times I would groan when I'd hit her POVs. I just didn't like being trapped in the head of the dreamy girl with her head so much in the sand too often. Ironically, I think she's the one character that could be transported to the Real World, she's very believable. But, my opinion changed, and my groaning stopped, and I am looking forward to seeing what happens with her. I don't buy her as becoming Little Finger the Second, and mostly, I nurse the dreams of hoping that when all is said and done, she does find the type of love she wants and deserves. I want her to find that person who will love her for her, and a reunion with her siblings.

I never disliked Sansa in particular, but now i adore her. I've always liked Stannis as well. I initially hated Cersei and now, while i don't like her per se, i think she's a great character. And i always had a soft spot for Theon, but nowadays i want to snuggle him into a million pieces and i think he's an incredible character.

I hated Jaime, then loved him, and now i quite like him. Tyrion became less and less likeable for me as the series progressed, and Dany started to annoy me around ACOK. Out of those two, though, while i still like Tyrion more, i now find Dany much more interesting.

Ygritte was also better on my first read, although maybe that's because i realised there was no point fleshing her out too much when she was just about to die. And Melisandre gets more interesting every time i read the series, as does Bran.

Stannis for me.

It's incredible how the first time I the Blackwater episode of the TV show, I was completely on the Lannisters' side, I hated Stannis so much.

But of course, that's because it's incredibly easy to misinterpret his character, once you get to know everything...............then you're just shouting for him to finally take that fucking throne.

Sansa: The only reason I didn't like her in the beginning was because I didn't find her very interesting.. now she is!

Roose, Wyman and Cersei also grew on me alot as the series progressed.

Except for the prologue in ACoK when I wasn't sure what to believe, I pretty much always liked Stannis.

Jamie: I liked him in the beginning but like him less and less as the story progresses(Him and Ilyn is an exception though, I liked that part)

Dany: Same as Jamie. I liked her at first but now I really dislike her.

Gods, did I hate Stannis after the Cressen prologue! More than any other character on that planet!

But I do like him now.

Theon- hated him during the first reading but pity him after the second and third time I read the series.

Jaime- same situation as Theon.

In the opposite direction:

Dany - loved her in AGOT but dislike her strongly the last four books.

Tyrion- loved him through several books but didn't care for him in ADWD.

Melisandre- I kind of liked her after my first reading. Now I despise her for her atrocities.

Maybe not you, but countless posters have said their opinions of Stannis or Sansa have changed upon progressing through the story or re-reading.

Hmmmm. Perhaps you might have worded it as more of a possibility than a reality but, hey, it's your thread.

Gods, did I hate Stannis after the Cressen prologue! More than any other character on that planet!

I've heard many readers say Martin did too good a job when we first presents some of the characters and they are never able to move away from such a strong initial impression. That is indeed the case for me and I've never been able to move away from the feeling I had of him after that proloque although I do find him more tolerable now that he's in the North.

Theon- hated him during the first reading but pity him after the second and third time I read the series.

Jaime- same situation as Theon.

I think because these two suffered so much, I am able to see them differently. Theon, moreso than Jaime. Theon seems to really be a different person so it's hard not to see him differently and I am completely sympathetic to him now. Jaime seems to finally have grown up and realized there's more to life that swords and Cersei so I'm not as sympathetic but then again, I didn't dislike him as much as Theon to begin with.

Sansa's character is growing on me. I didn't like her in AGOT. No hate, but she just didn't act very likable. But she seems to be one of the kinder and gentler characters in the story.

I always liked Stannis. He has his flaws and some bad moment,s but those only make him a more interesting character. But he evolved to be one of my favourites.

I pity Theon, but i still don't like him.

Roose is evil, but he's an interesting character who i started to appreciate more during rereads. I still hope he loses, but i hope to read a bit more about him before he goes. He's a far more interesting bad guy than Ramsay.

I got some more appreciation for Jaime, and i like his sense of humor, but he has a lot of bad karma coming his way. I don't think i can forgive what he did to Bran.

I hated Manderly because i thought he killed Davos, but like him after revealing his true motivations

Archived