The Sansa/Stannis List: Who else did you used to hate that you are beginning to love?

Fanless Mace

I'm surprised Cat hasn't been mentioned yet. I still don't like her, but it's a lot less intense of a dislike than it used to be. She is obviously a bone of contention on these boards.

What about applying this in reverse - characters that you loved the first time around, but like less and less with each read? I'd have to think about that one for a while.

I'm opposite. Initially didn't like Cat, now I hate her. Also, Tyrion gets more irritating with each reread. As for OP, Sansa, Jaime & Theon are all characters I've grown to love. I'm not a huge Stannis fan but my feelings on him remain consistent.

Sansa- I used to dislike her in AGOT because I really couldn't get her and she then sold out Ned, my then favourite character which really didn't help. Then after Ned's execution, I realized she was learning and becoming less immature and understanding the importance of family and began to like her a lot more. Now I really enjoy her POV and hope she becomes a good player and support her family. (I don't think she can reach littlefinger's level within the duration of the story, but hopefully she'll flatten the Lannisters.).

Jaime and Theon- Unlike Sansa, I'm not actively rooting for these two, but I find them a lot more interesting than I used to. I really can't overlook their attempted and carried out child murders and they are not good people. But they have fascinating story lines and I can't help pity theon.

In the opposite direction:

Dany- I used to like her in AGOT but after those dragons hatched, I began to lose interest in her. The way she ruled in Slaver's Bay made it worse. Now I'm apathetic towards her.

Tyrion- I liked him in the first two books then ADWD happened

The character I couldn't stand was Jaime.When I started reading SoS and was his POV I wanted to stop reading cause I didn't want to see inside that child crippling,sister fucking psycho... but GRRM is very good at making you like the unlikable and little by little I started waiting for his chapters with anticipation and I started enjoying his inner monologues. I still can't say I like Jaime,there are things I can't close my eyes to but I can't wait to read more about him.

+1

Jaime and Cersei were the only characters I really despised from the start, and Jaime became more interesting and dimensional with POV chapters while Cersei was sort of diminished for me once I saw inside her head.

Rereading didn't change my opinions of characters, but the show did for a couple. Once I started picturing Theon as Alfie Allen and Tywin as Charles Dance I couldn't help but dislike them less.

+1

Jaime and Cersei were the only characters I really despised from the start, and Jaime became more interesting and dimensional with POV chapters while Cersei was sort of diminished for me once I saw inside her head.

Rereading didn't change my opinions of characters, but the show did for a couple. Once I started picturing Theon as Alfie Allen and Tywin as Charles Dance I couldn't help but dislike them less.

Same here. You can't dislike them as much when they act that good :) Charles Dance is perfect and Alfie was pleasant surprise.

Also despised J and C but later changed some views when I red their chapters.

I've always loved Jaime. Sandor I thought was an annoying goth in the first book and a half, but I grew to LOOOOOOOVE him. A lot. Like. I like him more than most of the POVs. I get annoyed by Sam. But less so on the re-read. Which is probably just due to the fact that by the time I was *RE*-Reading the book, I was completely obsessed with the universe. That was so for a lot of characters. I just enjoy everything I read in this world. Including Aeron Damphair. (Then again, one of the few times I lolled was at "Aeron Damphair thought this was a long way to travel all for nought.")

How in the fuck can people not like Arya? What? This is a phenomenon specific to nerds, where after time they can't help but find new ways to be contrary for the sake of being contrary and spiteful of the masses.

There is only one character it's okay to hate:

Daenerys Targaryen (but only in ADWD).

For me it's obviously Jaime! Hated his arrogant guts and now love him. And with the ending of Dance I've really started to get fond of Stannis as well. But the worship he gets from this forum scared me a little bit of^^ And now I feel he is overrated. I would have needed more time alone with him without this forum to get the appreciation I guess ^^.

Just Sansa actually.

On the other hand, on re-reads I got really repulsed by Tyrion and Jaime.

well Arya really has kinda repulsed me with her recent endeavors but I don't dislike her for it, she is among the 3 main characters I feel the most pity for. Arya, Theon, and Jaime they are all products of their environments and have been used and manipulated into what they are.

Theon, Sansa and maybe even Cercei I disliked immediately but have grown fond of. Jon Is probably they only character I've grown to dislike over the course of the series but he's still up there for characters I want to see succeed, in fact, I probably cheer more for him anybody else but some much so much of his story is in the "set up" phase, he annoys me to great ends.

I was, for a long time a Dany supporter but the more I read the more I liked Stannis and to be honest I found Dany's chapters in ADWD utterly tedious and considered skipping them. I very nearly threw the book across the room when she ends up back in the Dothraki Sea. Now I would be very happy to see Dany lose the throne to almost anyone.

Conversely I hated Theon with a passion even before his 'fall' but as the books progress I feel nothing but pity for him and was actively rooting for him to escape from Winterfell. In general House Greyjoy has risen a long way in my estimation, there's just something awesome about them and their culture.

Archived