So who will end up on Iron Throne?

Stan the Man Baratheon

Supposedly the Throne will change hands several times. I think Joffrey dying was the first stage of that, but no the last.

I agree, and on the basis of that I would say that 'end up' is a bit too strong a way of describing the condition of whoever sits the throne at the end of the novels.

IF there even is an Iron Throne at the end of all of this (the kingdom could split up into 8 or 9 new kingdoms based on the 9 regions that exist at the beginning of AGoT) I think it possible or even likely that GRRM will write it in such a way to make it clear that the final occupant has a job on his hands to stay there.

Uneasy is the head that wears the crown and all that.

I'd say Stannis would be a pretty unexpected character to sit on the Iron Throne at the end of the series. He is popular now, but because of Mel incorrectly believing him to be Azor Ahai, his positioning near an impending ice zombie apocalypse, and other long odds, it's widely assumed that Stannis is not long for the world. Stannis living and succeeding in taking his place as the rightful king would be a satisfying ending for me, because it's unexpected and no one can doubt that he earned the Throne. His campaign for it has been the most difficult out of all the other claimants thus far (I'm not counting Dany because she's not a part of Westeros yet and consistently refuses to head over there), he has had to fight tooth and nail for every scrap of support he's received, and he is the only claimant who is really fighting against the perceived "villainous houses" (Lannister, Bolton, Frey) since Robb Stark died. So, for me, Stannis winning the Iron Throne would be totally unexpected in a series where terrible things always happen to the best people.

My other "unexpected" nominees are Sansa Stark, Walder Frey, and Lady Stoneheart.

I would think that even for "unexpected" we have to eliminate women who cannot be a queen of their own right, meaning as heirs and not as someone's spouses. I do not expect spouses to be anything but queen regent for a child they yet have to bear within the timeframe of the story. And the king they base their claim on would have to be dead. Well, kings die like flies these days :) so a queen by marriage would have to get pregnant, with a boy preferably, and then choose the purple solution to get a queenship until her child is of age, having murdered the father of said child. Cersei 2.0

Any other change, a younger daughter conquering or a woman chosen for her abilities and qualification on the throne would be more revolution than abolishing the IT completely. One might prefer that since a female oppressor is not on principle better than a male one. There is only Margaery so far who might be Tommen's regent but the poor boy may not live long enough, nor his queen.

A kind of claim have Dany, if she conquers it, Myrcella if she is accepted as Baratheon, Shireen as Stannis' only heir. I do not see a Greyjoy heir on the IT, nor a Stark heir even if all Starks have been eliminated before, hopefully not, so no Asha or Sansa. And Arianne? Dorne conquering? I don't know. So Arianne only by marriage.

So far I only see Myrcella as both qualified and having a claim under some circumstances. Or shireen who is young but far from dumb.

And we should not forget that there will be some interim solutions for that chair until the end of the story. So the proverbial "younger and more beautiful queen" to replace Cersei may finally end up as dead as Cersei probably will, replaced herself by whomever.

I don't have any real evidence for it, but I think it will be Gendry and I suspect Sansa will be his queen. It's just a hunch though. I think Gendry is hanging around for some purpose and that's to be the guy that the Lords can settle on.

I really could not tell. To stay with reason before we expect the unexpected:

I understand Varys and the economically challenged Lannister-fraction will make sure the IT and whoever sits it will go bancrupt. That's a reason for Tommen losing the throne, to anyone.

The economically sound person is LW Jon Snow - who is heavilly challenged by a certain health problem and might not make it to the Throne in this life experience, He is also heavily burdened by the vows he means to keep, his personal striving to save the world from supernatural powers and lack of interest in southern affairs.

Stannis is in-between. He is technically broke, too, but still dealing well with the bank (or maybe more than one, but we know of only one), so the IB seems to place some of its money that way,

Last time we looked, (f)Aegon was on his way. I'd say it makes sense to me that he might rule interim, but Renly was similar, and both made it to Storm's End that was the end of many a storm.

Some Lady Stormborn should never chose a route via Storm's End as the narrative force of the names might get the better of her. I do not expect her. But do I count?

GRRM is afraid to kill Tyrion off.

Also Arya and Dany and Jon.

I don't believe you. What should he be afraid of.

With Jon he is at a point, where many seem to believe he has already done it.

In case of Tyrion - I see no other character who would fill the gap.

The Eddard type of character was continued by Cat and followed up by Stannis and Davos. Type Cat is continued by Brienne. Type Lysa is continued by Cersei.

Who would make a Tyrion?

Edric Storm.

That's original. Ned Dayne.

Nobody.

Super-secret caches of wildfire are strategically located throughout the Red Keep and Meagor's. Dany, Aegon and Jon will fly over and set the whole thing a blaze while Jaime and Cersei die inside trying to kill each other. The only thing missing is Walder Frey with them wearing a tiara.

Walder Frey?

Hodor!

In Daenerys' vision it might be Rickon (as someone said) but I say it will be Bran.

Since that is what I'd call the unexpected.

ETA: Theon Greyjoy. Since that makes no sense.

I don't have any real evidence for it, but I think it will be Gendry and I suspect Sansa will be his queen. It's just a hunch though. I think Gendry is hanging around for some purpose and that's to be the guy that the Lords can settle on.

And Sansa would be happy with some blacksmith....

But they would need good advisors, particularly a good Hand who does business for them since both Sansa and Gendry are not really qualified.

Archived