So who will end up on Iron Throne?

Stan the Man Baratheon

Really depends on what GRRM considers to be unexpected. To the majority of the fanbase, Jon Snow would be one of the unexpected.

That said, I think it will be Rickon and Shireen. I'll be happy so long as there's a Stark on the throne.

Really depends on what GRRM considers to be unexpected. To the majority of the fanbase, Jon Snow would be one of the unexpected.

That said, I think it will be Rickon and Shireen. I'll be happy so long as there's a Stark on the throne.

No way a Stark sits on the throne. If Jon takes it, it will be Jon Targaryen, not Stark.

If Rickon married Shireen, she'd be queen, and him only her consort.

No way a Stark sits on the throne. If Jon takes it, it will be Jon Targaryen, not Stark.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There are several Starks still in play, and two of them (Rickon and Sansa) look likely to gain some powerful allies.

If Jon claimed the throne it would probably be as a Targaryen, but he'd still be a Stark at heart.

Unexpected ...eh?

1) Daario Naharis

2) Darkstar

3) Xaro

4) Ramsay Bolton

5) Moonboy

6) Maester Marwyn

7) Lancel Lannister

8) Melisandre

9) Mance Rayder

10) Jaqen

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that one shouldn't just build expectations upon a decontextualized and possibly non-existent quote. Choices like the above, for example would be unexpected, but I think most of them would do great violence to the grand narrative developed over several books. I do not think GRRM will do something like this just to have a "gotcha!!!" at the end. Frankly this quote creates a "Unexpected Hanging Paradox"[1], which means anyone at all can end up on the throne.

[1] The Unexpected hanging Paradox from Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexpected_hanging_paradox>

A judge tells a condemned prisoner that he will be hanged at noon on one weekday in the following week but that the execution will be a surprise to the prisoner. He will not know the day of the hanging until the executioner knocks on his cell door at noon that day.

Having reflected on his sentence, the prisoner draws the conclusion that he will escape from the hanging. His reasoning is in several parts. He begins by concluding that the "surprise hanging" can't be on Friday, as if he hasn't been hanged by Thursday, there is only one day left - and so it won't be a surprise if he's hanged on Friday. Since the judge's sentence stipulated that the hanging would be a surprise to him, he concludes it cannot occur on Friday.

He then reasons that the surprise hanging cannot be on Thursday either, because Friday has already been eliminated and if he hasn't been hanged by Wednesday night, the hanging must occur on Thursday, making a Thursday hanging not a surprise either. By similar reasoning he concludes that the hanging can also not occur on Wednesday, Tuesday or Monday. Joyfully he retires to his cell confident that the hanging will not occur at all.

The next week, the executioner knocks on the prisoner's door at noon on Wednesday — which, despite all the above, was an utter surprise to him. Everything the judge said came true.

Petyr Baelish. That guy deserves that ugly, spiky throne all by himself.

Our dear Petyr might be in for some unpleasant surprises coming next Sansa chapter. As much as I cherish his wonderful character, I'm afraid he might be a dead mockingbird walking.

But then, as many a surprise is waiting for poor Petyr, there may still be some in it for me.

Also, I believe he wants that shabby throne, so he won't get it.

/sad, hopeless sigh/

King Stannis? I know, it - it rather impossible. Damned Khaleesi, fake Aegon and Jon Targaryen...

or... stupid Khaleesi, Jon Targaryen and Victarion Greyjoy, I supppse...

But... Hope, mother of fools...

Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!

Keep in mind R+L is only really considered "basically fact" on certain internet boards so it could be Jon. If we exclude Jon, Dany, etc then I would say Tommen, because it would certainly be unexpected considering all his potential enemies.

It has to be someone with a claim to the Iron Throne by blood, because other wise they'd be an actual usurper, unlike Robert who has a legitimate, even if shallow, claim to the throne.

So it's probably either Dany, Aegon or Stannis, but Stannis is very unlikely.

Also could be one of the many royal bastards, like Gendry or even Jon Snow if you believe he's a Targaryan bastard.

Of course, you could have someone make a new empire/kingdom to replace the Iron Throne, or someone could pull a Cromwell and make themselves military dictator for life, but since they don't have professional armies it doesn't seem likely.

Bronn would probably do that, he doesn't care enough about tradition to make himself king, and would probably like the idea of a military dictator.

I think the Iron Throne is going to be dissolved, and replaced by another entity, maybe a new kingdom with a new royal line or a desolate wasteland destroyed by the Others.

Archived