Penny Dreadful, Showtime's Victorian Horror Show

Sci-2

I don't get the reference?

Could be the dreamers? I also think she put a spell on someone in Camelot to get her to sleep with her. Most recently there was a similar scenario in 300:rise of an empire - although I think that guy quickly got on board with the idea. So I get what Grey Wolf was going for.

Wonderfully ott performance by Eva Green!

She actually does OTT really well. She was the best thing in the 300 sequel by a long way.

What about Josh Hartnett? I always found him a bit dull in his hollywood films but there were a couple I thought he was good in. Hopefully TV suits him.

What about Josh Hartnett? I always found him a bit dull in his hollywood films but there were a couple I thought he was good in. Hopefully TV suits him.

He just wants good roles.

Nice reveal in the 2nd episode that

Spoiler
Proteus wasn't the [first] Creature.

Spoiler

Or the second. Interesting that this show takes place in the midst of the events of Frankenstein and presumably after the events of Dracula.

I caught the debut ep because Showtime was having a free preview weekend (I'm an HBO subscriber). Now I have to try to figure out the best/easiest way to see the rest even though I don't currently subscribe to Showtime. Anybody have any good suggestions?

ETA: I'm not talking about piracy or anything. I'd be willing to subscribe to something on the web or whatever as long as it wasn't too expensive. Or will everyone just watch it on Showtime?

I don't think it was mentioned on the show I just saw it on a review as somebody calling her Mina Harker then I checked IMDB and that's what she's listed as. Perhaps it is in that time period of Lucy's turn though. That would certainly explain why Mr Murray hasn't sent a telegraph to Van Helsing saying "Hey there's other vamps here bro".

Has any one else watched episode 2 yet? They have it on demand here in Canada.

I had thought it was a little strange how different the relationship between the two characters was in comparison to the novel, that certainly got explained. I'm also now 100% certain Josh Hartnett's character is a werewolf.

How did I miss that? That's what I get for reading spoilers.

So...

Did Mina's father fuck her?

so yeah . . .

I got that impression, too. But first, I thought there was another child, a son? who went on an expedition with him and died. It got very confusing and I had trouble hearing it all.

She said 'that's what x saw," I didn't catch the name and I confess I was a bit distracted by Eva's contortions. Guess dad's got a lot to make up for.

So is the idea behind the title that you could once in foggy Londontown get a little tale for a penny that had a horror (e.g., dreadful) aspect to it?

Enjoy!

Also,

I'm a bit miffed, I was getting rather attached to Mr. Proteus.

Spoiler

Credit it to him as he could have easily kept making those crappy blockbusters he was in. Sounds like TV will suit him far better or at least help him get those rare great roles in hollywood.

Credit it to him as he could have easily kept making those crappy blockbusters he was in. Sounds like TV will suit him far better or at least help him get those rare great roles in hollywood.

Nah, when someone offers you Superman you take it :)

I hope he does well too, but he's mostly being overshadowed here tbh.

Nah, when someone offers you Superman you take it :)

I hope he does well too, but he's mostly being overshadowed here tbh.

Yeah, I guess he means he hasn't been offered any A-list characters he doesn't appreciate.

A tough crowd when Green and Dalton are your co-stars.

Given the title of the show is there any chance this will be an anthology with a different story every season?

Archived