Could Weirwood Trees Be Used to Ward Off the Others?

Roddy the Ruin

I dunno why but I have this hunch that they will have use in the looming conflict with the Others and Stannis cutting down the weirwood trees as he goes south gives me the feeling that they will be important somehow. Maybe Bran or BR could use their abilities to ward off places with a godswood or something? What do you guys think

Very likely. We do know that warding against wights is possible, maybe against the Others themselves as well. We know that Bran, the greenseer, is currently where they are in use. We know that he has teachers there. We know that he can act through weirwoods to a certain extent.

What we don't know is whether Bran will learn that in time or whether the 3EC has the necessary skill, or rather strength, left. And we don't know if warding falls below the threshold what can be done through weirwoods.

We'll have to wait and find out.

But from a literary point of view, a massacre in the North would eliminate Jon Snow, Stannis, Asha, Theon, to a certain extent the other Starks, all the northern storylines GRRM spent literally thousands of pages on. And the Others being stopped in the North without ever threatening the South wouldn't fit the threat they were built up to be. So, we should start looking for a way to keep most of the North alive and in action, while allowing the Others simultaneously to attack the South.

Wards around the heart trees is a very simple way to do so. I've been expecting something like that since 2011.

?

I mean like a magical ward that keeps the Others out of a certain location if that's what ents are.

In the Lord of the Rings book the Ents were treelike beings who were aroused to action and destroyed the power center of one of the evildoers.

The Wierwood trees march north to the stronghold of the Great Other in the Land of Always Winter and pull it apart icicle by icicle. Sill idea, but fun.

In the Lord of the Rings book the Ents were treelike beings who were aroused to action and destroyed the power center of one of the evildoers.

The Wierwood trees march north to the stronghold of the Great Other in the Land of Always Winter and pull it apart icicle by icicle. Sill idea, but fun.

OH THE TREE MONSTERS?! I haven't read any of the books and haven't say through any of the movies. I would but all together they are like 15 hours Lon or something.

It's certainly possible although we don't have evidence of them avoiding weirwood trees that I can remember. I figure they are more likely to be used in spells since Bran's trip through time suggests there were blood sacrifices made on them.

Hmm, did we get any info on how long the wildlings had been camping in the weirwood grove near the Wall when Jon leads the new recruits to say their vows in front of a heart tree?

OH THE TREE MONSTERS?! I haven't read any of the books and haven't say through any of the movies. I would but all together they are like 15 hours Lon or something.

Tree monsters? Bite thy tongue! The Ents are the Shepherds of the Trees. They are protectors, not monsters.

Not a chance in hell that the weirtrees can do anything against the Others. If people recall the Long Night was before the Andals and then there were weirtrees all over the place. Didn't do anything at all as far as we know to save either humans or Children from the Others.The weirtrees could in fact ward against the Others then the Long Night and the Others shouldn't have been all that troublesome.

Not a chance in hell that the weirtrees can do anything against the Others. If people recall the Long Night was before the Andals and then there were weirtrees all over the place. Didn't do anything at all as far as we know to save either humans or Children from the Others.The weirtrees could in fact ward against the Others then the Long Night and the Others shouldn't have been all that troublesome.

Humans and CotF were wiped out during the Long Night?

Maybe in an indirect way. Weirwood trees could be used by Bran to watch enemy movements and traffic in different places/times, leave Ghost near Bran and Jon would be able to warg into Bran's cave to listen to reports directly, using the info to help plan any human-led counterattacks.

Archived