Lyanna Stark and Swords

Tywin Manderly

Or... because Rickard -- like almost everyone else in Westeros -- does not think that it is fitting for a woman to use a sword.

:agree:

Because of his Southron ambitions. He wanted a proper highborn obedient daughter.

That is my guess anyway.

I don't think it had anything to do with Southorn ambitions. Most men want a proper highborn obedient daughter. Her being a woman in a man dominated field would make her a target. Let's be real. Lyanna is not Brienne. Even now people are still commenting on how beautiful the girl was instead of her abilities or herself as a person. We don't even know how good she really was at swordplay. She may have been a good jouster but jousting and swordplay are different. Would she really stand a chance if she had to go up against an experienced fighter?

I don't think it had anything to do with Southorn ambitions. Most men want a proper highborn obedient daughter. Her being a woman in a man dominated field would make her a target. Let's be real. Lyanna is not Brienne. Even now people are still commenting on how beautiful the girl was instead of her abilities or herself as a person. We don't even know how good she really was at swordplay. She may have been a good jouster but jousting and swordplay are different. Would she really stand a chance if she had to go up against an experienced fighter?

I think that we have seen that the North doesn't always follow the rules.

I think that we have seen that the North doesn't always follow the rules.

Not really. We see Wylla Manderly. She doesn't seem to be carrying a sword. The Mormonts but at the moment there aren't any man around. It is a female dominated house. Their women had to learn to defend themselves against attackers because of where they are situated.

We really don't see alot of Northern daughters fighting. Not even Alys Karstark.

Because she is a girl.

Westeros doesn't favor equal opportunity and Rickard wasn't as indulging as Eddard. Who himself expected Arya to grow out of this phase. Proper Westerosi girls don't wear swords and good fathers make sure they don't.

I agree as simple as this

Not really. We see Wylla Manderly. She doesn't seem to be carrying a sword. The Mormonts but at the moment there aren't any man around. It is a female dominated house. Their women had to learn to defend themselves against attackers because of where they are situated.

We really don't see alot of Northern daughters fighting. Not even Alys Karstark.

How about Maege, Dacey and Alysanne?

I don't even mention the other FM cultures.

Well, we know that she was better than Benjen with a sword, in her times...who later became 1st Ranger of the NW. So her swordplay wouldn't have been poor, as a matter of fact...

My guess would be that Rickard knew his girl had a few drops of wolfblood in her, and a wild girl with a sword can be a dangerous combination.

I daresay Rickard Stark was a sexist pig. Aerys did right. :commie:

I agree it wouldn't appear proper. But I love Ned's solution. Arya's Dancing Master. I think with the incoming of Spearwives into the North most Northern Lords will grudgingly allow their daughters to learn to defend themselves, albiet under the guise of some acceptable ruse, like a dancing master.

Well, we know that she was better than Benjen with a sword, in her times...who later became 1st Ranger of the NW. So her swordplay wouldn't have been poor, as a matter of fact...

Weren't Benjen and Lyanna children? Bran even says the girl looks like Arya the last time he saw Arya was when she was 9. Maybe the Lyanna was a little older but not by much. So you have an 9-11 year old beating her 1 to 2 years younger brother who himself probably hasn't trained much.

yea. I don't see it.

The girls from a House with a very distinct history and currently being in charge themselves? Or the fundamentally different culture which knows no nobility at all? Bad comparisons.

Not really. When someone mentions Wylla, who is not a FM and Alys, who we don't know much about as examples that the Northern are the same with the Southorns, I can compare other Northern women and other FM cultures to Lyanna too. Also I believe that at the "She wolves of Winterfell" we will see hou *obedient* the Stark/Northern women are.

After all, the only think that we know about Rickard is that he got Southern ambitions, so its only logical for someone to think/imagine that Rickard wanted to secure that by creating the perfect Southorn Lady.

Lyanna was almost twice as old as Benjen at the time. She could overpower him purely based on her physis. Benjen would have barely started his own training at that.

Weren't Benjen and Lyanna children? Bran even says the girl looks like Arya the last time he saw Arya was when she was 9. Maybe the Lyanna was a little older but not by much. So you have an 9-11 year old beating her 1 to 2 years younger brother who himself probably hasn't trained much.

yea. I don't see it.

More than one or two years. Bran is put off by the remarkable age difference between the two of them, which doesn't fit him and Arya at all.

More like ten to six probably

Not really. When someone mentions Wylla, who is not a FM and Alys, who we don't know much about as examples that the Northern are the same with the Southorns, I can compare other Northern women and other FM cultures to Lyanna too. Also I believe that at the "She wolves of Winterfell" we will see hou *obedient* the Stark/Northern women are.

After all, the only think that we know about Rickard is that he got Southern ambitions, so its only logical for someone to think/imagine that Rickard wanted to secure that by creating the perfect Southorn Lady.

What I meant when I mentioned Wylla and Alys is that they are of the same culture as Lyanna unlike the FM cultures. They don't seemed to be trained in swordfighting. We may later find out that this is not the case. The Mormonts are a family dominated by women at the moment. Men aren't in charge. Not only that, we have heard that the reason that there women are so different is because they kept getting attacked by Ironborn while their men were away so they had to learn to defend themselves or the men would have nothing to come home too. This isn't the same for Wylla, Alys, Lyanna, and some other Northern Houses.

Even Ned with his allowing Arya her dancing master still plans for Arya to grow up and get married and have kids. So what does it matter to him if she has a few extra abilities.

Even Ned with his allowing Arya her dancing master still plans for Arya to grow up and get married and have kids. So what does it matter to him if she has a few extra abilities.

Furthermore, Ned never took that training seriously. He talks about "teaching her the rudimentaries of swordplay". And he allows it purely because he knows that forbading Arya something is the surest way to get her to do it.

Archived