Lyanna Stark and Swords

Tywin Manderly

I think from the context it's pretty clear why Lyanna wasn't allowed to carry a sword and neither should Arya. It's not lady-like.

“This is no toy for children, least of all for a girl. What would Septa Mordane say if she knew you were playing with swords?

“The septa is doing no more than is her duty, though gods know you have made it a struggle for the poor woman. Your mother and I have charged her with the impossible task of making you a lady.

As far as we know, the only fathers who let their daughters get away with carrying swords are Balon, Selwyn Tarth, and Ned (Not counting the Mormont girls, because as far as I can tell they reproduce through spores and don't have fathers). In Balon's case, she was effectively his heir for almost half her life and the Ironborn are such a violent society that a woman carrying a sword wouldn't be that weird, even if we never see any others. In Ned's case, he probably recognized that Lyanna being barred from having a sword was a contributing factor to her running off with Rhaegar and was trying to head off the same willfulness in Arya; especially since she had already obtained Needle and taking it away would just make things worse. We don't know a lot about Selwyn, but since Brienne isn't very lady-like, and more importantly is bigger and stronger than most men, letting her use a sword gives her something she can be good at. Plus, who knows; maybe she'll end up attracting a husband who likes the idea of being married to an amazon.

As far as we know, the only fathers who let their daughters get away with carrying swords are Balon, Selwyn Tarth, and Ned (Not counting the Mormont girls, because as far as I can tell they reproduce through spores and don't have fathers). In Balon's case, she was effectively his heir for almost half her life and the Ironborn are such a violent society that a woman carrying a sword wouldn't be that weird, even if we never see any others

We do see another...

Hagen's daughter.

An Ironborn girl in Deepwood Motte with Asha. Quite interested in Tris Botley. Fought naked after being disturbed in her last sex before death scene. Not with Tris. Not a survivor.

I remember her now. Didn't Asha suggest to Tris to try his luck with her? Poor kid.

Archived