Your Literary Fetish

Multaniette

When the person you think is going to be the hero of the novel is unexpectedly killed about fifty pages into the book, making you wonder if the author has gone batshit insane on the spot. This effect is heightened the longer the author holds off on doing it.

Vast armies, generals plotting strategies, unexpected screw-ups on the battlefield. Ninja-wizard hybrid assassins, preferably when they're undercover as pirates.

Travelogues. The more rugged the territory, the better. If it involves a desert that isn't complete crap (as if the author has never been to a desert), even better.

If the rocks are described at all, that's the stuff. :uhoh:

I dig the naturalist boys in the stories. It's the closest thing I have to a literary crush.

I love it when Good Guys turn bad/evil, and visa versa. I'm still looking for a book that starts out with a clearly defined Hero and Villian, and switches them both halfway.

Also, when two groups who have been fighting join forces to beat a common enemy.

Both painfully cliche, but I usually love it anyway.

Chandleresque mysteries...British sleuths (with the exception of Elizabeth George)...expanded fairy tales...and serial killer whodunits (with the exception of Kay Scarpetta)

Archived