The Musketeers (BBC)

Tony Soprano

Yeah, that was just a stupid way to frame anybody. And why Athos specifically? ...

Eh, wasn't that made completely obvious, it was all Milady's doing, and

a result of their shared past, and her scar/presumed death

Eh, wasn't that made completely obvious, it was all Milady's doing, and

a result of their shared past, and her scar/presumed death

So in this version of the story she knows he's still alive? I have to admit I wasn't paying that close attention, but I always thought one of the funnier aspects of the story was that a lot could have been resolved much earlier (and a few murders prevented) if either Athos or Mylady knew the other one was still alive.

So in this version of the story she knows he's still alive? I have to admit I wasn't paying that close attention, but I always thought one of the funnier aspects of the story was that a lot could have been resolved much earlier (and a few murders prevented) if either Athos or Mylady knew the other one was still alive.

I think we see her watching his aborted execution from a window, so she definitely knows. Presumably Athos doesn't know she is alive.

I think we see her watching his aborted execution from a window, so she definitely knows. Presumably Athos doesn't know she is alive.

He did say to the priest in jail that he'd killed a woman, right after his first flashback scene, so I think we can take that as a given.

• 10 months later...

Season 2 premiere confirmed for BBC One on 2 January at 9.00pm/January 17 at 9:00pm ET on BBC AMERICA

Season 2 Trailer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrG2_U5HtRw (BBC One)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZTpX-W2miU (BBC America)

The Musketeers are sent to retrieve the Comte de Rochefort, the Cardinal’s man in Madrid who has escaped from a Spanish Prison. Rochefort brings news that the chief author of France’s military strategy against Spain, General De Foix, has been captured.The Musketeers must join forces with Rochefort to rescue De Foix before this critical information falls into the wrong hands, but can Rochefort be trusted, and will the Musketeers succeed against the traps laid for them?

The Good Wife alum Marc Warren joins the main cast this season, replacing Peter Capaldi, who exited the show last year after he nabbed the lead role on Doctor Who. Warren plays new villain Rochefort, a man nursing many secrets and a very dark past.

Also spotted are Antonia Thomas from Misfits, playing a gutsy young woman who buts heads with the Musketeers, and a royal baby who looks suspiciously like Aramis.

Has this show gotten any better? ... I bailed after a few episodes, after being very disappointed because I love the premise... but it was more like an American network show than a BBC America show....

I like it just fine it's not the best but I'm entertained and I will defiantly watch the second season.

Has this show gotten any better? ... I bailed after a few episodes, after being very disappointed because I love the premise... but it was more like an American network show than a BBC America show....

It was quite good for this type of BBC show. It belongs in a line-up with BBC's Robin Hood (the one with Richard Amitage), The Adventures of Merlin and Sinbad. Of those shows, Musketeers is clearly the strongest (it's a bit more mature). The show does get better as it goes along, but if you didn't like the first episodes, I don't think that the quality rises enough for you to start liking it. This show just wants to be a fun actionromp for teens and it does a fine job there, but there is nothing stellar about it.

I thought the last 3 or 4 episodes of the first season improved a bit from the start.

• 1 month later...

I truly adore that show ! I find it well-written for its aim (I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, but the aim is to entertain with well thought stories, and on that front, the show is successful !).

One thing I notice this season, they really try to give all the Musketeers an arc :

- Porthos' father and the debt Treville and Lafoie still consider having towards him.

- Aramis' concerns about the dauphin (his son) and his dangerous relationship with the Queen.

- Athos and Milady (again).

Only d'Artagnan doesnt seem to have a proper arc so far in season 2 (unless you count his relationship with Constance).

Anyway, I really wish Treville will be reinstored in his captain rank very soon !

So far I've only seen the first three episodes of the first season, but with episode three, I fell in love with this show. Waiting impatiently for the dvds for the rest of the season, with hopes that it stands up throughout. Stupid postal service, adding yet another day to "service" first class pick-ups and deliveries.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this series. It's daft as a brush, and I love it for it. The men reliably forget to do their shirt buttons up, the women always have their bodices pulled a little too far down, there are blunderbusses, sword fights, horses, sword fights on horses and exciting mustaches. :wub: It is a show that was clearly made for me.

Last episode was quite good !

Some evolution regarding D'Artagnan and Constance story, interesting Athos / Milady exchanges, Ryan Gage killing it as King Louis, Alexandra "Roslin Frey" Dowling always as beautiful and wonderful and some nice Aramis moment ! Only Porthos lacked on the story side this week but I hope it will change next time !

Last episode was quite good !

Some evolution regarding D'Artagnan and Constance story, interesting Athos / Milady exchanges, Ryan Gage killing it as King Louis, Alexandra "Roslin Frey" Dowling always as beautiful and wonderful and some nice Aramis moment ! Only Porthos lacked on the story side this week but I hope it will change next time !

Porthos did have a bit of a side story in being locked up in a cellar with Rochefort. Suspect it was mainly there to set up a future episode when Porthos is the first person to guess that Rochefort is in love with Anne.

I would like it if the show took the opportunity for Rochefort to have a somewhat better relationship with Porthos than with the rest of the Musketeers, to make him slightly less Eeeeevil, but I don't think it will happen. Milady's already ambiguously evil. The writers will want to keep a reliably antagonistic antagonist around.

I loved episode 7 !!!!

Episode 5 was quite boring (the Athos centric one) and 6 was good but not on par with the best episodes of this show (the King taken hostage in the astronomy tower).

But 7 was great and so many things happened :

Milady knows where Rochefort's true allegiances lie.

Constance's husband is dead.

Treville will finally talk to Porthos about his father.

Rochefort knows about Aramis and the Queen.

Louis is putting Anne aside more and more.

Great great episode !

Really enjoyed the most recent episode. It started rather slowly, and the dialogue seemed even more clunky than usual. (Hand wave, really don't watch Musketeers for the sparkling dialogue.) Then I really got into it. I'm afraid that I didn't pick up on who the assassin was until after the last moment. Shame on me.

Liked the way each episode in the show follows on properly from the one before - so Louis is shown being clearly affected by his experience in the Astronomer's Tower.

I have so long to go before seeing the second season -- all the time between now and it becoming available on netflix via dvd. Sigh. But there's lots of other other good television in the meantime, and so many books and -- well, maybe winter will end and then I can Go Out without freezing. Well, as far as that last, one can always hope . . . .

Episode Seven might be the best episode this show has ever done. Really the first time they managed to catch me unaware. The funny thing is that I even commented on how unusual the episode was

When the archbishop died I was very happy. Not because I'm some psychopath who enjoys murder by proxy, but because it is a huge pet peeve of mine when a shoot-out happens in a movie and bystanders are unharmed if the target is missed. Really hate that, because it is so unrealistic. So, when the bishop went down I commended the Musketeers on making it realistic, but in the end it was part of the plot.

It was indeed remarkable how quickly the pieces were moved around. I do wonder what will happen with our antagonist for the season. Is the Musketeers going to introduce a new villain every season? Because right now it seems like their building to some sort of epic stand-off. At first I thought Rochefort would just stand in for Richelieu, seeing how Peter Capaldi had more important engagements now and would take on the role of the cardinal as the antagonist. I wonder how far in advance the Richelieu character was planned. At first I was fearing for a Capaldiless The Musketeers, since he was far and away the most enjoyable thing about the first season. The actor who plays Rochefort has filled the hole Capaldi left admirably.

Two things which I also have to say in spoilertags for our friends who aren't able to see it yet.

I hope that the death of Mr. Bonancieux won't become to much of a plotpoint in coming episodes. I really hate that particular trope, especially since D'Artagnan and Constance cannot be held responsible for the tosser's death. I'll probably be disappointed, but I can always hope.

Also sad to see the assassins go. Especially the lady. At first I was rolling my eyes, because the last thing this show needed was another kindhearted noble damsel in distress, but the assassin plot really made her quite interesting. I hope to see more of that actres in other projects in the future. She had a very traditional Miladyish vibe to her. Especially in the playfullness.

Looking forward to next week. There is a member of the GoT cast with a really bad wig coming up to look forward to :D

Episode Seven might be the best episode this show has ever done. Really the first time they managed to catch me unaware. The funny thing is that I even commented on how unusual the episode was

When the archbishop died I was very happy. Not because I'm some psychopath who enjoys murder by proxy, but because it is a huge pet peeve of mine when a shoot-out happens in a movie and bystanders are unharmed if the target is missed. Really hate that, because it is so unrealistic. So, when the bishop went down I commended the Musketeers on making it realistic, but in the end it was part of the plot.

It was indeed remarkable how quickly the pieces were moved around. I do wonder what will happen with our antagonist for the season. Is the Musketeers going to introduce a new villain every season? Because right now it seems like their building to some sort of epic stand-off. At first I thought Rochefort would just stand in for Richelieu, seeing how Peter Capaldi had more important engagements now and would take on the role of the cardinal as the antagonist. I wonder how far in advance the Richelieu character was planned. At first I was fearing for a Capaldiless The Musketeers, since he was far and away the most enjoyable thing about the first season. The actor who plays Rochefort has filled the hole Capaldi left admirably.

Two things which I also have to say in spoilertags for our friends who aren't able to see it yet.

I hope that the death of Mr. Bonancieux won't become to much of a plotpoint in coming episodes. I really hate that particular trope, especially since D'Artagnan and Constance cannot be held responsible for the tosser's death. I'll probably be disappointed, but I can always hope.

Also sad to see the assassins go. Especially the lady. At first I was rolling my eyes, because the last thing this show needed was another kindhearted noble damsel in distress, but the assassin plot really made her quite interesting. I hope to see more of that actres in other projects in the future. She had a very traditional Miladyish vibe to her. Especially in the playfullness.

Looking forward to next week. There is a member of the GoT cast with a really bad wig coming up to look forward to :D

I was a little bit suspicious that things weren't entirely as they seemed and did suspect the Princess' sidekick a bit but I didn't anticipate the Princess having been replaced by an assassin. I agree the actress did a good job, I did like the scene at the end with Milady recognising her as a kindred spirit although surely Milady would never have been foolish enough to think she was going to be freed if she was in the assassin's position.

I think Mark Warren has been doing a good job as Rochefort (he's usually pretty reliable at playing untrustworthy scoundrels), he might be a different sort of villain to the Cardinal but his obsession with the Queen is memorably creepy.

I was unsure whether they had a long-term plan since I've heard the ratings have been a bit disappointing but apparently it is renewed for a third season so we'll get at least one more.

Archived