Help me with this quote about Jaime

dupontmorand

I think the kindness he 'didn't' do is the key. Tyrion thinks that Jaime bought Tysha for him, out of kindness and love, to make him a man, and that quote of Jaime's right there is the first clue that something about the Tysha situation is off. Granted, it was hard for us to know that at the time, what Jaime meant..........but I think it's pretty clear how much it weighed on Jaime, that lie he told is what allowed him to remain the gift giving big brother in Tyrion's eyes.

Strange, I always thought he was referring to Cersei's believing Jaime was the father to her children. Sure he was the father of them, but he couldn't ever interact with them as a father might. Cersei does tell him later, "He [Tyrion] killed our boy" and Jaime has no emotional reaction because the kids to him were, as he notes, just "his seed."

Strange, I always thought he was referring to Cersei's believing Jaime was the father to her children. Sure he was the father of them, but he couldn't ever interact with them as a father might. Cersei does tell him later, "He [Tyrion] killed our boy" and Jaime has no emotional reaction because the kids to him were, as he notes, just "his seed."

LOL, where is the kindness implied with that idea? j/k

I remember Jaime either saying or thinking something along the lines of..........him supposing that Myrcella and Tommen were his children, too. It sounds like something that wasn't discussed or addressed alot between Jaime and Cersei, they were too busy just trying to have sex when they could manage it. It is only the birth of Joffrey that gives us the example of Jaime even being in the birthing room, and Cersei then setting up boundaries for Jaime's involvement in the baby's life, anyway.

Yeah I remember but if you think about from a certain perspective, the kindness was that Jaime got him a whore. That's the original perspective of Tyrion, so I mean, I guess it's a kindness. I mean what did Tyrion's thank you note look like.

Dearest Brother

I just wanted to say thanks for Tysha, that ended so well what with father getting involved and the raping, oh and the me being married to a whore. That was so kind of you.

Love Tyrion.

Yeah I remember but if you think about from a certain perspective, the kindness was that Jaime got him a whore. That's the original perspective of Tyrion, so I mean, I guess it's a kindness. I mean what did Tyrion's thank you note look like.

Dearest Brother

I just wanted to say thanks for Tysha, that ended so well what with father getting involved and the raping, oh and the me being married to a whore. That was so kind of you.

Love Tyrion.

But that's the thing, Tysha wasn't a whore...

ASoS, Tyrion

“His brother looked away. “Tysha,” he said softly.

“Tysha?” His stomach tightened. “What of her?”

“She was no whore. I never bought her for you. That was a lie that Father commanded me to tell. Tysha was . . . she was what she seemed to be. A crofter’s daughter, chance met on the road.”

The important part of the quote is WHO he is loved by for a kindness he never did.

If he means loved by the general public, then it clearly isn't about Tysha as he would just be loved by Tyrion, and still would be. Since he is referring to being generally hated by the public for slaying Aerys, I am inclined to believe he was loved for something by many people, although I'm not sure what that would be.

So again - general public hated him for slaying Aerys, and the general public at one time loved him for doing something he never did.

What could that be?

The quote clearly states that he is loved by "one" for a kindness he never did. To my mind, that has to be Tyrion. It's not necessarily the acquiring of a whore, but rather that Jaime supposedly did this kindness because he loved Tyrion.

No of course she wasn't but Tyrion did not find out about that till far later in the series. So from his perspective for most the series he thought she was a whore and the whole thing a lie to make him more of a man. From his perspective he has not viewed it as any sort of kindness or happy memory. Now the memory has flipped, it's an even worse memory, but he knows Tysha cared for him and was not a whore payed to sleep with him. Both situations no matter the story are totally messed up.

The quote would seem to distinguish one for love and many for reviled.

The quote clearly states that he is loved by "one" for a kindness he never did. To my mind, that has to be Tyrion. It's not necessarily the acquiring of a whore, but rather that Jaime supposedly did this kindness because he loved Tyrion.

LOL so sorry. I obviously misread that! Disregard my comment then....no wonder why I couldn't think of what it could be =P

Tyrion simply doesn't love Jaime for anything relating to Tysha, whether bought or not. He has never expressed love to Jaime relating to that event even if it was for "making him a man."

He does, although I do not have the time to look it up. To me it shows a quite desperately fucked way of thinking, to rationalise "what a great joke on me! as if anyone could ever love me. I'll just join in this gang bang as father says, but pay her with gold not silver. What a great guy Jaime is for organising two weeks of happiness for me."

He does, although I do not have the time to look it up. To me it shows a quite desperately fucked way of thinking, to rationalise "what a great joke on me! as if anyone could ever love me. I'll just join in this gang bang as father says, but pay her with gold not silver. What a great guy Jaime is for organising two weeks of happiness for me."

If you ever do, feel free to send the reference my way. Absent it, I'll maybe foolishly reiterate that I don't recall anything that would lead me to believe that Tyrion would describe his emotional response as "love" for Jaime because he faked the marriage. Direction (positive feelings as opposed to negative) doesn't imply strong correlation. Love is a strong and ill-suited word ... until such time as someone can remind me (with text) why it isn't. :)

Archived