Why didn't Jaime take the throne?

TheNiggardlyBastard

But in this case it was his oath to protect the king vs. his oath to protect the people. 1 vs. 500,000. He was going to break one either way.

Well he could have just knocked him out cold, or gave him a leg wound (and just worried about the pyro freaks) but either way I do give him credit for having the balls to act quick like that and was the right thing to do, also never even explaining why he did it even to Ned Stark and lets himself be called the Kingslayer is also a note worthy thing. He could have easily told everyone then and there what Aerys was doing but he felt he didnt have to, thats a tough ass thing to do. He really was a guy who never cared who thought what (when in that spot he probably should have lol)

, Robert Baratheon wasn't a Targaryan, so that technically made Robert ineligble also.

His grandmother on his fathers side was a Targaryen. Not to mention that since Orys Baratheon, the founder of the house, was a Targaryen bastard that sort of makes Baratheon a cadet house of house Targaryen. This gives Robert a much stronger claim on the throne than most of the other lords.

• 2 weeks later...

What good reasons did Robert have, that Jaime or anyone else did not? The Mad King was mad and dangerous and had to go.

Robert's broken heart and pathetic jealousy is what is only his own personal motivation and is hardly deserving anyone's respect.

Perhaps Aerys murdering his good friend's father and brother in cold blood gave Robert some incentive? And (in his mind) having his bride-to-be kidnapped and raped?...I would hesitate to sum up Robert's Rebellion as pathetic jealousy.

Perhaps Aerys murdering his good friend's father and brother in cold blood gave Robert some incentive?

Mild spoiler -

Jamie actually saw that and many events like it. Hating it as much as any non psychopath would. Again, he has even more reason that Robert.

The excuse "the mad king was mad and had to go" works for EVERYONE. It just doesn't work BETTER for Robert than for Jamie and anyone else.

And (in his mind) having his bride-to-be kidnapped and raped?

Well, delusion is never the best excuse IMO.

I didn't say Robert doesn't have a reason, I replied to someone saying Robert has apparent good reason AS OPPOSED TO Jamie.

Admittedly many assume that Jamie did it for family loyalty, so it was common treason, but that's mostly a bias because of his family name. In reality Robert was even more influenced by personal feelings. The actual valid reasons to overturn and/or kill the king remain the same.

• 1 month later...

Jaime does not see duty in the same way most do. He forewent his right to Casterly Rock by joining the King's Guard. In the Guard he was appalled by King Aerys's cruel behavior, while the rest of the King's Guard (even the White Bull) saw it as their duty to "guard the King, not judge him." He obviously disagreed, because he killed the King.

While Tywin sees his duty to the Lannister line and Casterly Rock as paramount to the people he loves (selling Cersei to Robert, etc.), Jaime feels that he has a duty to those he loves (Cersei and Tyrion) which is paramount to anything theoretical like legacy and power.

Also, Robert didn't start the rebellion because of Lyanna. I don't remember when in the series it is told (I think GoT but it isn't a spoiler). Rhaegar and Lyanna vanished, and then Ned's older brother (can't think of his name) went to KL to protest this, and I believe threatens Rhaegar. Aerys then has him taken captive for treason (I believe) and calls Ned's father to answer for the crimes of his son.
When they show up, they demand trial by combat but Aerys screwed them in an unfair trial rule and the two died.
After this, Aerys calls Ned and Robert to come to KL for their deaths as well. It was only after this that Robert Arryn raises the Vale and Robert and Ned raise the Stormlands and North to fight the war. Lyanna was far from enough reason to start a war.

Moving forward, I truly don't think that Jamie cares about power. His greatest joy is being in combat and the thrill that comes from the peace while everyone else is terrified. And Robert was chosen to be the king because of his Targaryan blood line; he was actually next in line after Dany and Viserys leave Westeros.

I think the idea that Jaime could have (or even wanted too) claim the Iron Throne is absurd; absolutely incomprehensible. He had absolutely no claim, no power or backers (money, armies, allies etc), was already suspended from his own inheritance and just broke his sacred vow, killing the man he pledged to defend with his life (which others would view as out of cowardice) in front of a throne room full people.

That is why Jaime didn't take the throne; he couldn't, even if he wanted to (which he didn't).

• 4 months later...

IMO Jaime is smarter than some give him credit for.  And a smart man wouldn't want the throne. But I'm not sure he could ever take the thrown since he joined the Kingsguard and gave up all his inheritance rights and ability to marry.  And he took an oath to join the KG and an oath breakers penalty is death.  Don't see how he could have ended up as king.  He probably would have been killed himself for killing the mad king had Robert not forgiven him and married Cersei to make an alliance with the Lannisters.  Cersei saying he should have taken the Iron Thrown is just further proof she's an idiot.  I've read all the books, just trust me, she is. 

Archived