Tourney Rule

Rhaegars Heir

I'm in the process of re-reading the the Dunk and Egg series and have a question about the tourney. Now after a knight knocks his opponent off his horse they continue their match fight on foot what happens if the knight who is knocked off his horse beats the man who unhorsed him on foot who wins then?

it appears it's a choice thing , if you're stubborn enough to continue but it kinda relies on your opponent being chivalrous enough to meet you on foot and not just run you down , besides this should've been very rare since getting knocked down from your horse via lance (even a tourney lance) is devastating ,only very powerful men could sustain such a hit and be able to continue fighting effectively

it appears it's a choice thing , if you're stubborn enough to continue but it kinda relies on your opponent being chivalrous enough to meet you on foot and not just run you down , besides this should've been very rare since getting knocked down from your horse via lance (even a tourney lance) is devastating ,only very powerful men could sustain such a hit and be able to continue fighting effectively

yes but a man like Robert lets say who probably wasn't very good with a lance or dunk whom we know isn't very good at jousting managed to get up when knocked down and used their strength to beat their opponent on foot who wins the match?

yes but a man like Robert lets say who probably wasn't very good with a lance or dunk whom we know isn't very good at jousting managed to get up when knocked down and used their strength to beat their opponent on foot who wins the match?

i suppose , yes. who else

Most people are either defeated or yield when knocked of their horse.

However, should they be able and willing to continue to fight, said person would be in the disadvantage of being on foot while his opponent is on a horse. Should the guy on a horse be allowed to still use a lance, I'd say the guy on foot doesn't stand a chance.

Should both continue with a sword, and should but fight on foot, the run-down guy has the disadvantage of having been knocked down, which I imagine hurts a lot.

But in the end the one who wins is the last person standing.

Most people are either defeated or yield when knocked of their horse.

However, should they be able and willing to continue to fight, said person would be in the disadvantage of being on foot while his opponent is on a horse. Should the guy on a horse be allowed to still use a lance, I'd say the guy on foot doesn't stand a chance.

Should both continue with a sword, and should but fight on foot, the run-down guy has the disadvantage of having been knocked down, which I imagine hurts a lot.

But in the end the one who wins is the last person standing.

I didn't realize that knight who knocked down his opponent doesn't have to get off his horse I thought he dismounted and fought that way

Well IRL, the original tourneys were more brutal and involved using melee weapons after the lance. But once you get to the Renaissance it was certainly more of a sport, and more like the tourney of the Hand in the main series.

Unless your name is Russell Crow and you are Maximus, father of slain son, husband to a murdered wife.

Since we're discussing tourneys here, could someone explain me what a "seven-sided melee" is? Do you have like seven teams or something? Or is the melee field shaped like a septagon?

Also, if you defeat your mounted opponent while on foot are you then required to take a shit on the ground? Or is that just a Strong Belwas thing?

Was he crowning the queen of love and beauty in a really weird way or something? :D

I'm familiar with the Trial of Seven, but the seven-sided melee I think is something different. It's mentioned in Meera's KotLT story.

“Five days of jousting were planned,” she said. “There was a great seven-sided melee as well, and archery and axethrowing, a horse race and tourney of singers. ..”

Since we're discussing tourneys here, could someone explain me what a "seven-sided melee" is? Do you have like seven teams or something? Or is the melee field shaped like a septagon?

It's just a melee fought by seven teams.

the great tournament at Harrenhal during the year of the false spring, the tourney where Rhaegar crowned Lyanna Stark as queen of love and beauty. That was a much bigger tourney than either Ashford or the Hand's tourney. The IVANHOE format again, champions and challengers, but longer, with more challengers... and with a seven-sided team melee in the ancient style.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Tourney_Rules

Archived