Medieval and Period Drama Shows - Sugestions

May1992

Hello everybody,

I'm a huge fan of GOT and I love watch tv shows foccused in ancient times. This is a list of TV shows that I watch with this theme:

- Game of Thrones (is probably the best) 9,5

- Spartacus (excellent actors, with lots of violence, gore and sex) 9,0

- The Tudors (my first love with period dramas) 9,0

- The Borgias (is very beautiful, but some episodes are pretty boring) 7,5

- Camelot (Eva Green is great, but not even her could save this show) 4,5

- Merlin (I liked until they turned Morgana in a Evil Bitch) 5,0

- The Pillars of the Earth (I love David Oakes, Ian McShane in this, but some changes they did with the book are annoying) 6,0

- World Without End (just horrible) 3,5

- Reign (It's CW so for enjoying you must be very forgiving about the historical inaccuracies) 7,0

- Magnificent Century (Is the first turkish TV show that I watched, is good but also has some flaws) 7,0

- Rome (Execellent cast, very well acted) 9,5

- Deadwood (Timothy Oliphant and Ian McShane just rock in this show) 9,5

- Hatfields & McCoys (Jonse is a prince right? No hell no) 5,5

- Vikings (It's good but not so good a some people claim to be) 7,5

- Death Comes to Pemberley (I didn't read the book, but I liked) 7,0

- The White Queen (Phillipa Gregory must be some kind of historian troll, but some actors like James Frain, David Oakes, Amanda Hale and Rupert Graves make it worth) 7,0

- Peaky Blinders (Cillian Murphy, Helen McRoy and Sam Neil are perfect in this show, plus the soundtrack is really good) 8,0

I would like of sugestions of TV shows and movies set especially in Medieval Times.

Sorry for my poor english, i'm still learning so please forgive my gramatics.

Hi,

it seems like you've watched most of the good ones, actually. So you could check off pretty many of the list. I don't know how big of a time span you were thinking but since you seem to go pretty wide in your span of time there is more to recommend. If we just fon't stick to the medieval and ancient themed series.

I haven't watched all those you listed, but I have seen a few of them.

But I guess both Band of Brothers and Boardwalk Empire is viable mentions, even though they do take place in the 1900's they are kind of a period based.

Movies there are a lot to choose from. Dances with Wolves, Last of the Mohicans, Braveheart, Gladiator, Valkyre (WW2) etc etc are just a few mentions.

Hi,

it seems like you've watched most of the good ones, actually. So you could check off pretty many of the list. I don't know how big of a time span you were thinking but since you seem to go pretty wide in your span of time there is more to recommend. If we just fon't stick to the medieval and ancient themed series.

I haven't watched all those you listed, but I have seen a few of them.

But I guess both Band of Brothers and Boardwalk Empire is viable mentions, even though they do take place in the 1900's they are kind of a period based.

Movies there are a lot to choose from. Dances with Wolves, Last of the Mohicans, Braveheart, Gladiator, Valkyre (WW2) etc etc are just a few mentions.

Thanks for the sugestions, actually anything set before 1960 interests me. I already watched Band of Brothers is one of my favorites mini series. Boardwalk Empire seem to be pretty good but I didn't like the pilot, the cast is great however. Gets better?

Thanks for the movies I watched Braveheart, but not the others they seem to be good. I will watch them.

Thanks for the sugestions, actually anything set before 1960 interests me. I already watched Band of Brothers is one of my favorites mini series. Boardwalk Empire seem to be pretty good but I didn't like the pilot, the cast is great however. Gets better?

Thanks for the movies I watched Braveheart, but not the others they seem to be good. I will watch them.

Boardwalk Empire definitely gets better and better. I highly recommend it.

Also I agree with the poster above on a couple of the movies they suggested. Especially Last of the Mohicans. Its one of my favorite movies. Daniel Day Lewis is great in it, and it has my all-time favorite score of a movie.

The Pacific was, IMHO, better than Band of Brothers (which says a lot!). I also agree with seeing Last of the Mohicans; it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Gangs of New York was another awesome DDL film.

Masters of Sex is a period drama set in 1957 so it's kind of getting close to your cut off point. But it's excellent, so I feel OK recommending it. It's about a pair of researchers attempts to collect scientific data on human sexuality, and the pitfalls both political and romantic that ensue. Great acting performances, interesting and original premise. Definitely worth a look.

ST

Arn: The Knight Templar. Just make sure you're watching the full version, which is either a 6 episode mini-series or 2, 2+ hour movies. There's also a version which cuts all the material together into a single, 2 hour long movie and butchers, if not outright removes, a number of the storylines. Avoid that version at all costs.

Does Reign get good, even in a campy way? I didn't get past the first episode.

Yes gets much better, the episodes 3 and 4 are pretty good, and 7th episode is the best until now. I love Catherine Medici, but like I said you must be very forgiving about the historical innacuracies.

The pilot was the worst episode, and the plot of the show it's not just the romance, the politics and treason are also great part of the show.

But is CW, so like always there is the love triangle thing, wich thankfully is not the center of the show.

Boardwalk Empire definitely gets better and better. I highly recommend it.

Also I agree with the poster above on a couple of the movies they suggested. Especially Last of the Mohicans. Its one of my favorite movies. Daniel Day Lewis is great in it, and it has my all-time favorite score of a movie.

Thanks, I will try give Boardwalk Empire another chance. The Last of the Mohicans is in my boyfriend DVD collection so I will check out soon.

The Pacific was, IMHO, better than Band of Brothers (which says a lot!). I also agree with seeing Last of the Mohicans; it's one of my favorite movies of all time. Gangs of New York was another awesome DDL film.

I still don't know why I didn't watch The Pacific when they aired in HBO Brasil, but i'll try to watch. Thanks for the sugestion, and Gangs of New York is amazing, Daniel Day Lewis is awesome as the Butcher.

Not Middle Ages, but based upon your list above you might like Shogun.

And some great movies, in case you haven't seen them:

Beckett

Lion in Winter

El Cid

The War Lord

Thanks so much for the sugestions, never hear about Shogun seems interesting. I didn't watch these movies, so thank you for the sugestions.

Archived