Medieval and Period Drama Shows - Sugestions

May1992

Hey Cool Post!

I've just finished watching

1) Game Of Thrones

2) The Tudors

3) Borgias

4) World Without End(Which, contrary to you, I thought was as good as The Tudors)

5) Da Vinci's Demons

Now I'm looking for something else to watch, so your post gives me a pretty good springboard.

Think I'll try Rome next.

**Update: Just binged my way through Rome. It was fantastic! Shame it got cancelled so soon.

Thank you, Paul Giamatti is a very underrated actor. I'll try to check out.

He was also great in the US version of The Illusionist.

I'll second Shogun. The mini-series was pretty good on its own and the book is one of my favorites.

I tried to get into Black Sails but just couldn't for some reason, mostly because I couldn't care about the characters other than Flint. I'll try re-watching it, see if that helps.

Movies:

The Viking Sagas

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Gone With the Wind

Mongol

Emperor and the Assassin

Name of the Rose

A Christmas Story (OK, maybe a weird choice, but it is an excellent time capsule into 1940 Midwest)

• 6 months later...

Let me just reiterate what a couple of posters said above about Peaky Blinders. Beautifully shot. A dirty crime thriller set in the 20s, in Birmingham , UK. Very unusual for the BBC do do any other period drama that isn't set in London or the country seats of the aristocracy, this show centres on a working class crime family headed up by the second oldest son, Thomas Shelby, played by Cillian Murphy. The Shelby men are battle hardened by WW1 and indeed are all suffering the after effects and this goes some way to explaining, Thomas's drive to build his back street legal gambling business into something epic. The show does have an epic feel and a brilliant sound track, from the grimly Nick Cave tracks to the rocking Arctics to P.J. Harvey and much more. All you Brits just missed the series 2 finale last Thursday but it's just gone on to Netflix so binge wAtching is doable!

Hell On Wheels. It's nowhere near as good as Deadwood, but it's a Western set in the same time frame. I'm actually re-watching Season 1 right now myself.

Also perpetuates the many mendacities of the revisionist Glorious Lost Cause.

Gave up a couple of episodes into season 3 because it has become unrelievedly dull and dreary.

I Claudius!

Don't let yourself be put off by the slightly dated production. It wasn't about the production values anyway.

It's funny. It's smart. It may have the best female character in any TV drama up to the present.* And after you've watched it, you'll be able to draw a detailed family tree of the Julio-Claudians.

* Livia, of course. "They say a snake bit her once...and died."

Also perpetuates the many mendacities of the revisionist Glorious Lost Cause.

Gave up a couple of episodes into season 3 because it has become unrelievedly dull and dreary.

The OP mentioned liking The Tudors and Reign, so I don't think they'll be bothered by inaccuracies. :D

As far as it being dull, I've only seen the first season, but so far it's entertaining. :thumbsup:

I Claudius!

Don't let yourself be put off by the slightly dated production. It wasn't about the production values anyway.

It's funny. It's smart. It may have the best female character in any TV drama up to the present.* And after you've watched it, you'll be able to draw a detailed family tree of the Julio-Claudians.

* Livia, of course. "They say a snake bit her once...and died."

Stannis is also largely influenced off Graves Tiberius

Agreed, great show and novel

Archived