Arya Reuniting With Her Direwolf, Nymeria

Winterfell Resident

I strongly believe that at some point in the remainder of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, that Arya will re-unite with Nymeria.

Although nothing in the books, so far, suggests that will happen.

However, I have to wonder why would GRRM continue to have passages written in the story where some south men recall a

gigantic wolf and her pack are killing men.

And, these accountings have been recorded in at least 2 of the books since Arya and Nymeria parted ways.

I know that GRRM has these tendencies of killing off characters we tend to become attached to, But I am hoping he is not equally

cruel in leaving Arya and Nymeria separated even after the end of "A Song of Ice and Fire". That would be the ultimate in

Heartlessness(I hope that is a word).

But, because GRRM seem to have Nymeria's character hanging around in the books, I think that is a sign that Arya and

Nymeria will re-unite before the ending of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

If anyone has any findings that would differ in my conclusion, I would like to know. And Why.

Arya is my favourite character so I personally hope the reunion does happen. Like you said there may well be a purpose to keep mention the Riverlands wolfpack and the giant wolf leading it. There could well be another reason why, but a Nymeria / Arya reunion is as good a guess as any at the moment. Sorry not to diagree with you!

This is mentioned from AGoT:

She could find Nymeria in the wild woods below the Trident, and together they’d return to Winterfelll, or run to Jon on the Wall.

I think when she gets to Westeros she will be in the south first. Then on her way North she will stop and get Nymeria.

I think "Arya Stark" will die with Needle in her hands and that she will keep living under the skin of her Direwolf. And I think that's how they'll be reunited.

Then Nymeria will be reunited with Sansa (who's missing a wolf) around Winterfell and the wolfpack will be strong again.

I think "Arya Stark" will die with Needle in her hands and that she will keep living under the skin of her Direwolf. And I think that's how they'll be reunited.

Then Nymeria will be reunited with Sansa (who's missing a wolf) around Winterfell and the wolfpack will be strong again.

I doubt Nymeria would stay at Winterfell again. She's wild and kills men. She belongs in the woods. Her killing will only get worse in the coming winter when prey is scarce.

There are other direwolves beyond the wall who might not be as feral as Nymeria.

Nymeria has preyed on innocents. This won't fly over well with the Northern people. Even where she is now there have been Riverlanders who hunted her for supposedly killing a baby.

ETA: As far as the second life thing that's only temporary. Nymeria might be focused on getting revenge for Arya but then Arya fades from her day by day. Orell was already fading from that eagle. If Arya dies Nymeria could be dead too if she didn't protect her. Wild wolves have a lower life expectancy.

That wolf has been the most obvious Chekov's Gun in the series. I have been waiting for that sweet bitch to come bite Ilyn Payne's nipples off at Arya's command ever since Lady and then Ned were beheaded. No doubt whatsoever that wolf will play a big role, probably killing a dragon or launching a successful line of sheep's clothing or something.

Oh, and Nymeria might not want to stay with her brothers either besides being too undomesticated. It was said that she kills any wolf who tries to mount her. With wolves the alphas are the mating pair.

Her brothers would have automatic seniority over her by being male direwolves. She was submissive towards Ghost in AGoT. She may not want to give up her power with her pack.

I thought it was pretty clear during Arya's blind girl phase that she had figured out more about her warging and that she understood her dreams of the night wolf were not simply dreams. For me that was the point of her warging into the cat while she was blind to see through the cat's eyes. I don't think she's an expert yet, but she knows it's not just random dreaming either.

My guess is Arya's headed to KL pretty soon for a Faceless Men mission, and once she's back in Westeros she'll be heading back up North to re-unite with her brothers. Along the way she'll meet up with Nymeria and the two of them will take out some Frey's together before leading the Wolf Army up North.

yep. something big in store for nymeria. my fantasy is arya and nymeria (including nymeria's pack) reuniting to wreak savage, bloody vengeance on the freys and/or boltons.

and please, no arya warging nymeria bs. enough zombies, enough arbitrary deus ex machina warg stuff.

yep. something big in store for nymeria. my fantasy is arya and nymeria (including nymeria's pack) reuniting to wreak savage, bloody vengeance on the freys and/or boltons.

and please, no arya warging nymeria bs. enough zombies, enough arbitrary deus ex machina warg stuff.

Warging has been in the series since the very beginning and had a whole prologue dedicated to explaining it. I don't think it qualifies as a deus ex machina at this point.

I always thought Nymeria would be adopted by Sansa. Lady was killed for something Nymeria did, in a way that first conflict over Joeffrey set the foundation of a swap.

Arya has shown ability to skin change other animals - the cat, for one; while Sansa has yet to develop her gift and might find it easier with a direwolf (all children are wargs, said GRRM, right?).

Arya's also learning to be "no one," for me that means she's letting go of her identity - and Nymeria is irredeemably bound to "Arya Stark," thus re-uniting with the direwolf doesn’t seem to fit in Arya’s current arc. No one has no direwolf.

Once Sansa comes out of hiding, she'll need something to back her claim though, and the direwolf seems to be the best way to do it.

I always thought Nymeria would be adopted by Sansa. Lady was killed for something Nymeria did, in a way that first conflict over Joeffrey set the foundation of a swap.

Arya has shown ability to skin change other animals - the cat, for one; while Sansa has yet to develop her gift and might find it easier with a direwolf (all children are wargs, said GRRM, right?).

Arya's also learning to be "no one," for me that means she's letting go of her identity - and Nymeria is irredeemably bound to "Arya Stark," thus re-uniting with the direwolf doesn’t seem to fit in Arya’s current arc. No one has no direwolf.

Once Sansa comes out of hiding, she'll need something to back her claim though, and the direwolf seems to be the best way to do it.

GRRM said that Arya being no one is an assumption. She isn't a FM. Frankly there isn't time for her to finish her training in story.

So when you had first introduced Arya, you knew she was going to become an assassin?

Well she's not an assassin yet. You are assuming she is going to become one. She's an apprentice.

But she's already going around killing people and she's learned a lot of the secrets.

Not only in Ice and Fire — we also did this bit in the Wild Cards series, the whole thing of the child solider is a fascinating construct. We have this picture of children [as] so sweet and innocent. I think some of the recent history in Africa and some of the longer history have shown that under the right circumstances, they can become just as dangerous as men, and in some ways more dangerous. On some level, it’s almost a game to them.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/george-r-r-martin-the-complete-unedited-interview-886117845

All Stark kids are wargs but he never said all of them will use their powers. Lady was going to be killed anyways. Sandor offered to kill Summer just for crying. Cersei was not going to let those direwolves live. If Sansa was going to be in the realm of politics in KL the wolf had to go. Bran made a comment about that in ADWD.

Nymeria is mirroring Arya's story not Sansa's. They are becoming more and more like each other. Arya also chose not to tell the KM about Nymeria so it stands to say that she has no plans for this no one business to mean no Nymeria.

I do believe Arya will meet Nymeria around the same time she meets Lady Stoneheart. I have a premonition it will be a rather sad event.

I haven't thought about that potential reunion before. Perhaps meeting Arya could bring some kind of peace for Lady Stoneheart and maybe Arya/Nymeria could play a role in ending her life in a mercy-killing kind of way. She is an abomination, really.

After the Red Wedding, Arya, with the Hound, has a dream about her mother. Nymeria finds Cats body in the river and pushes it to shore. That is how Arya realizes her mother is dead.

Big bond between Ayra and her wolf. Seems likely they will meet up at some point.

So you think Sansa Stark should come out of hiding and follow that up by stealing her sisters Skin. So that would be her third familial betrayal.

Yeah that would be an interesting situation that could lead to Rickon having her killed.

Archived