What is Ned Stark's most negative trait or feature, if any?

kidlatxo

There is no such thing as too much honor.

Ned's most negative trait is probably his relutance in taking a stance against Cersei and Stannis, though. It cost him dearly and earned him nothing.

Huh? Taking a stance against Stannis? Can you elaborate on this one? Why did ned to take a Stance against Stannis and "stand up to him" as you put it? Was this to be part of neds anti bald people campaign?

Ned's biggest flaw was his family. The guy actually put together a relatively good plan based on the information he had at hand. He showed that he could think on his feet and manipulate situations to his advantage, while still remaining a good person. At every turn his family members ended up screwing him over. Catelyn Stark convinced him to trust Littlefinger when he otherwise wouldn't have, then she goes off and grabs Tyrion. Sansa's absolute lack of character judgment (seriously it doesn't take an adult to see Joffery & Cersei are both wackos) leads her to stop Ned from leaving Kings Landing before all of this started then tipping Ned's hand to Cersei.

If Sansa & Catelyn had been a few ounces smarter in any of these cases then Ned would have come out on top.

Frankly most of the bad shit that happens in the series is due to Catelyn being a chuckle head. She convinces Ned to go to Kings landing, she tells him to trust Littlefinger, she kidnaps Tyrion, she releases Jamie. That's just what I remember of the top of my head. I'm sure she does more dumb things.

If Sansa & Catelyn had been a few ounces smarter in any of these cases then Ned would have come out on top.

Frankly most of the bad shit that happens in the series is due to Catelyn being a chuckle head. She convinces Ned to go to Kings landing, she tells him to trust Littlefinger, she kidnaps Tyrion, she releases Jamie. That's just what I remember of the top of my head. I'm sure she does more dumb things.

Ned is a big boy thus he is responsible for his own decisions, thus he is responsible for his deciding to go to King's Landing and his continued trust of LF even when LF basically tells him not to trust him and that he doesn't want Stannis be king. She had no other alternative based on what was known at that time to arrest Tyrion, furthermore Tywin's response is fully on him thus she isn't to blame. Releasing Jaime might have been a mistake, but as of now it has likely had more of a positive effect then a negative effect in how it helped bring about the turn around in Jaime's character.

Finally, Ned and Robb both performed much more stupid and self-destructive actions then Catelyn. In how, Ned was the one that freely decided to Cersei about knowing of the twincest and Robb's decision to marry Jeyne was the biggest determinant for the Red Wedding.

Finally, while Sansa made some mistakes Ned made the exact same mistakes despite being over twenty years older and an experienced ruler and veteran.

Also, Ned hardly came up with a good single good plan during his time in King's Landing. Instead, he generally repeatedly passed on solid plans to continue foreword with his own naive and under thought out plans (sending Beric not Loras, declining Renly's plan, refusing to bribe the Goldcloaks himself, etc).

Gotta say his best trait was also his worst.

Ned's honor was one of the best things about him and made him a great guy, but not that smart of one. Unlike most guys, who think with either their head, their heart, or their other head, Ned thought with his honor. He didn't think, what is the most strategic move, or the most morally right move even, or which way was gonna get him laid.

Ned thought with his unwavering honor complex. A complex seemingly no one in Westeros, aside from maybe Robb (and it got him killed too), could also keep.

Finally, while Sansa made some mistakes Ned made the exact same mistakes despite being over twenty years older and an experienced ruler and veteran.

This is false. Ned told Cersei his intentions to spare the lives of innocent children. He did this out of honor and for no personal gain. Sansa did what she did for herself alone, selfish motivations, and not honorable. They both made the mistake of warning Cersei, that much I can agree on, but Ned had no way of knowing Big Bob was getting killed at that very second, she was history had Robert came back.

Took him as a ward/hostage, then failed to act fatherly towards him because he was afraid to have to execute him eventually. This resulted in Theon being even more conflicted then he first was when he arrived in Winterfell.

Balon Greyjoy is a steaming pile of donkey-shit and he knew it, if he thought he'd rebel again the last thing he'd want to do is execute a boy he has come to love as a son. Seeing how the guy is basically father of the century in comparison to the other cunts that dare to father children, I'd say he wouldn't be able to do it.

As for being stupid... I suppose so. It was stupid of him to warn Cersei, but I wouldn't say he's flat-out retarded. The game isn't for him, but the guy did rule the North successfully for years and he basically won most of Robert's War for him. On the Battlefield he wasn't a dumbass.

His most negative trait by far is, that he didn't polish his fighting skills enough. Other than that, he is very close to perfect imo.

Really? His fighting abilities? How would him having been a better swordsman helped him any except many not get him up beat by Jaime? It certainly wouldn't have stopped Cersei from killing Robert or not running away with her children, or Joffrey from deciding to execute him, or certainly not Ser Ilyn Payne's sword taking his head off.

Archived