Notable Releases
From the Store
Game Of Thrones Royal Belt
Game Of Thrones Royal Belt
HBO US
Featured Sites
License Holders

Photo

Do you use mouthwash before or after brushing?

68 replies to this topic

#41 Francis Buck

Francis Buck

pleistocene vampire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

I don't use mouth wash, but I brush, then floss, then do a quick brush again.  I rinse with water between all steps.  So I am a BFB.

edit:  brushing the tongue is done during the first brushing sequence.

Literally exactly what I do.

Almost never use mouthwash. Just doesn't seem necessary, even though I do like the feeling of it when I have it.

#42 Viserion Stormborn

Viserion Stormborn

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Never.

I brush, rinse, floss.

I'm constantly flossing my teeth. It's kind of gross actually, I've got a never ending supply of floss picks and I use them everywhere. Meh.

#43 smegma

smegma

FART

• Members
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Brush, floss, brush again if necessary, rinse - THEN rinse with water afterwards. I've never had a cavity :)

#44 Dracarya

Dracarya

And though she be but little, she is fierce

• Members
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

I don't floss, I don't actually know anyone who does. I suppose I should start, since I've actually started taking care of my teeth in the last few years.

I'm currently using Corsodyl after having dental surgery, and it says to rinse 5 minutes after you brush, so I do that. It has alcohol in it, so I only use it at night or if I'm not going to be driving that morning. I have one without alcohol in it that I use if I am driving.

I now use an electric toothbrush, which I love, but I keep my old normal one to brush my tongue.

#45 E-Ro

E-Ro

Guttersnipe

• Banned
  • 11,050 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Interesting responses all around. Might be time for me to switch mouthwash brands. I currently use listerine and it's like 20% alcohol. I like alcohol don't get me wrong, but someone pointed out that it can dry you up! So anyone have any mouthwash recommendations?

#46 Viserion Stormborn

Viserion Stormborn

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

I used mouthwash this morning. I guess this thread seeped into my subconcious. Unfortunately I then forgot to brush my teeth, because my mouth tasted clean.

#47 lady narcissa

lady narcissa

aesthetic contemplation

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

I don't do any of these things at the same time. I brush in the morning and and the evening. I floss after lunch and after dinner. And I use mouthwash in the mid morning and mid afternoon.

My dentist told me I shouldn't do anything after brushing - i.e. rinsing with water or mouthwash. He said it rinsed away the purpose of the toothpaste. I trust him, I've been seeing him for over 30 years and so far no cavities or anything wrong with my teeth.

#48 Watch for Witches

Watch for Witches

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Floss, brush, rinse.

#49 NestorMakhnosLovechild

NestorMakhnosLovechild

You Should Watch What You Say To People

• Members
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

The way my dentist recommended is:

Floss, mouthwash, Rotadent (with or without a smidge of preferably gel-based toothpaste). 

#50 Fez

Fez

We the dancer

• Members
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Interesting responses all around. Might be time for me to switch mouthwash brands. I currently use listerine and it's like 20% alcohol. I like alcohol don't get me wrong, but someone pointed out that it can dry you up! So anyone have any mouthwash recommendations?

My dentist recommended Act a few months ago and I've been using it since. Its alcohol-free and has fluoride.

#51 Queen_Cersei_II

Queen_Cersei_II

Whimsical Bex

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

E-Ro, I like the Colgate Total Advanced Pro-Shield.

#52 smegma

smegma

FART

• Members
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

I don't do any of these things at the same time. I brush in the morning and and the evening. I floss after lunch and after dinner. And I use mouthwash in the mid morning and mid afternoon.

My dentist told me I shouldn't do anything after brushing - i.e. rinsing with water or mouthwash. He said it rinsed away the purpose of the toothpaste. I trust him, I've been seeing him for over 30 years and so far no cavities or anything wrong with my teeth.

Interesting, my dentist years ago told me to make sure I rinsed everything off with water because leaving paste/mouthwash on your teeth all day can cause enamel erosion and eventual decay. I've also never had any cavities or issues, so it seems that it probably is just a matter of preference :)

#53 Seli

Seli

Social Justice Trainee

• Members
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

I guess everyone's teeth are different, but every time I floss it pulls out stuff.  Stuff that would be rotting between my teeth if I hadn't flossed it.  Can't imagine not flossing.

Probably. Usually hardly anything is removed when I floss, except for the thing stuck between my teeth that had me reach for the floss to start with. I guess I'm lucky.

#54 E-Ro

E-Ro

Guttersnipe

• Banned
  • 11,050 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

My dentist recommended Act a few months ago and I've been using it since. Its alcohol-free and has fluoride.

Yeah someone else also recommended act. The only thing keeping me from just going for it is the cant eat for 30 minutes after. Thats sort of inconvenient.

E-Ro, I like the Colgate Total Advanced Pro-Shield.

Thanks for the recommendation! Might try it out.

#55 Lari Michelson

Lari Michelson

social justice-caine

• Members
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

WTF, are there no dentists on this board?  Pretty much every other topic that comes up and there's a queue of posters claiming to be experts on the subject.   

#56 Starkess

Starkess

so totally yay

• Members
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:44 AM

I don't floss, I don't actually know anyone who does. I suppose I should start, since I've actually started taking care of my teeth in the last few years.

I'm currently using Corsodyl after having dental surgery, and it says to rinse 5 minutes after you brush, so I do that. It has alcohol in it, so I only use it at night or if I'm not going to be driving that morning. I have one without alcohol in it that I use if I am driving.

I now use an electric toothbrush, which I love, but I keep my old normal one to brush my tongue.

The alcohol present in mouthwash wouldn't affect driving. 

I love my electric toothbrush. I just brush my tongue with it turned off. :)

I use Crest Pro-health Advanced (I think--it's the purple one). No alcohol, feels nice, doesn't taste bad.

#57 smegma

smegma

FART

• Members
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

I think if you have a problem with dry mouth, then you should consider something else - dry mouth is one of the leading causes of decay - it's what causes "meth teeth". But if you don't have a problem with it and otherwise manage just fine on listerine, it's what most dentists recommend. I use listerine cool mint and I have for years and love it - but I have the wettest mouth ever (probably a big factor in my dental health) and never had any dryness issues. 

#58 Dracarya

Dracarya

And though she be but little, she is fierce

• Members
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

The alcohol present in mouthwash wouldn't affect driving. 

I love my electric toothbrush. I just brush my tongue with it turned off. :)

I use Crest Pro-health Advanced (I think--it's the purple one). No alcohol, feels nice, doesn't taste bad.

If you use it and get pulled over not long after, you can bet your arse that it'll show up on a breathalyser. Then it's down to the station for a blood test. A hassle more than anything else, but I'd just rather not :)

#59 Roose Seal

Roose Seal

Shower me with club sauce

• Members
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

i floss, then brush with an electric brush with natural tooth powder (i know it's kind of hippy but normal toothpaste is full of shitty stuff), then rinse with a natural, alcohol free, mouthwash

#60 fuem

fuem

So hide the kids..

• Banned
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

After.

Reply to this topic