The Dark Defiles by Richard Morgan

Jussi

http://www.richardkmorgan.com/news/1108/whats-the-tome-mr-wolf/

Yeah, that’s 247 thousand words. Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present The Dark Defiles – done at last.

I know a quarter million words isn’t considered all that big of a fish in the oceans of fantasy (Game of Thrones 284k, Deadhouse Gates 272k, Name of the Wind 259k, Dance with Dragons don’t even go there), but it’s still about half as long again as anything I’ve written before, so if you’re wondering what the fuck has been keeping me all this time, well, there’s that. And the good news is that now it’s done, you’ll have a whole fifty percent more time and space than The Cold Commands in which to enjoy the final company of Ringil, Archeth and the Dragonbane. Plus – and this is the big thing, for me – Defiles ties the Land Fit for Heroes trilogy definitively up. All your questions answered, all outstanding narrative threads resolved, all debts paid.

There isn't an official release date yet. Amazon.co.uk says August 21st, Amazon.com October 7th. It looks like Del Rey edition will be trade paperback.

Plot synopsis:

The final part of Richard Morgan's fast-moving and brutal fantasy brings Ringil to his final reckoning and sees the world tipping into another war with the dragon folk. And, most terrifying of all, the prophecy of a dark lord come to rule may be coming true very close to home...

looks like he was able to keep it under that "split the book" limit. I know he was really concerned about that as he wants the book to be enjoyed as a whole.

Given the length of the book it looks like there's a good chance the series will have space to wrap up nicely.

Autobuy, though I'm so far behind in my book pile I won't be able to get to it for months. Plus I really need to find some way to review without rereading the first two again.

I'm having trouble seeing this wrap up adequately in one final book.

Though I suppose wrapping up Ringil's arc doesn't necessarily have to solve the stuff about the broken moon and possible issues with time/space.

Will wait for reviews.

Though I suppose wrapping up Ringil's arc doesn't necessarily have to solve the stuff about the broken moon and possible issues with time/space.

Those can be resolved if Morgan writes another book in the Kovaks timeline (not necessarily with Kovaks in it), or just left as background flavour.

Now I have to go back and read the first book in this series again. The first book was legitimately the first book I've read while taking notes on who was who, and then I lost my notes, so I never read The Cold Commands and decided to wait until there was a release date announced for this. I guess I'll read the others over the summer.

http://www.richardkmorgan.com/news/1108/whats-the-tome-mr-wolf/

There isn't an official release date yet. Amazon.co.uk says August 21st, Amazon.com October 7th. It looks like Del Rey edition will be trade paperback.

It seems unlikely Del Rey would suddenly switch to paperback only after having the first two books published in hardcover.

That would be awful, I have the first two in hardcover. And they release a lot of books in hardcover still so...

Maybe Richard himself might be able to confirm that.

This final book sounds great btw, cool synopsis and presumably a long enough book to tie it all together.

Those can be resolved if Morgan writes another book in the Kovaks timeline (not necessarily with Kovaks in it), or just left as background flavour.

Yeah and don't think the moon etc really needs to be explained. Just Ringil's transformation into Dark lord, I guess, Another Kovacs book would be great although I'm sure Richard hates people suggesting that all the time. When he's ready :)

Edelweiss catalog claims that the Del Rey edition is "paper original".

I guess it's probably true that they suddenly changed to paperback only.

Bummer. I saw the new Drew Karpyschin book is also suddenly in paperback only, where the first book of the series released a few months ago, was hardcover.

Archived