Chapter 16 Sam II

Throstle

I hope they explain further on why John switched Gilly's baby with Mance's son. It is told that Jon made the switch so that Mance's son could escape Milasandra's fire. My first question is, what will happen to Gilly's baby then? Will he be burned in place of Mance's son? That is not cool! Why not just ship both babies off? I'm sure they could find someplace to hide them.

What does the spell of Milasandra's actually do? I think they are trying to hatch the dragon eggs in a similar manner that Daenerys hatched hers. Only death can pay for life. Now that I think about it, Drogo was a king of sorts his son was also burned in the same fire, much like what Milandra would do with Mance and his son. The last spell Milasandra cast killed all the kings by some sort of curse. Was that spell kind of the some thing? or something completely different? I don't think that Mance could really even be considered a king, just the leader of a fearful exodus from the North for fear of the Others.

I'm on a reread and i just passed that chapter. The thing is, Melisandre is always going on about kingsblood. I'm not sure if it's explained already what the kingsblood would be for, so I'll just leave that be, but she does crave a bit of kingsblood. This basically means she will sacrifice anyone if it turns out they come from a line of (self-installed) kings. Since mance crowned himself king, his son would have kingsblood, meaning it would be perfect for Melisandre to sacrifice.

On the point of further explanation in the books:

Jon might know a little more about it, when we see him again

(smallest minor spoiler ever).

Have fun reading AFFC! There might be some really boring passages, but also some exceptionally great mono/dialogues!

I hope they explain further on why John switched Gilly's baby with Mance's son. It is told that Jon made the switch so that Mance's son could escape Milasandra's fire. My first question is, what will happen to Gilly's baby then? Will he be burned in place of Mance's son? That is not cool! Why not just ship both babies off? I'm sure they could find someplace to hide them.

What does the spell of Milasandra's actually do? I think they are trying to hatch the dragon eggs in a similar manner that Daenerys hatched hers. Only death can pay for life. Now that I think about it, Drogo was a king of sorts his son was also burned in the same fire, much like what Milandra would do with Mance and his son. The last spell Milasandra cast killed all the kings by some sort of curse. Was that spell kind of the some thing? or something completely different? I don't think that Mance could really even be considered a king, just the leader of a fearful exodus from the North for fear of the Others.

I think one reason was that if he sent both babies, they would have noticed right away and might have gone after Mance's son. But with the other baby as a decoy it would give Sam a head start, and they would have plenty of time to get away before anyone noticed the old switcheroo.

And Jon probably hopes once Mel knows that it's not a baby with king's blood, that there would be no incentive to burning the baby alive, and even if she wanted to to punish Jon and burn the other baby to hurt him, he probably believes Stannis would not allow it if it doesn't give him some type of advantage. He probably hopes Dannis won't just kill a baby for no reason, but I'm sure he's afraid Stannis will instead punish him for playing games with the king's prisoners/hostages.

Archived