On the Set of Season 4

Westeros

Now that the trailer is out, it’s no great surprise that HBO has started providing more material for fans to feast their eyes on. First up? A brand new entry in the “On the Set” series of videos, this one introducing season 4 to fans as it zooms about the four countries in which the past season was filmed, talks to executive producers and other key members of cast and crew alike, and gives us a few glimpses of some new locations and characters.

The video is available at HBO.com presently, and is embedded below; when it shows up on the official Game of Thrones Youtube, we’ll provide the link for that as well:

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

And we get a good look at Styr, the Magnar of Thenn... and he has ears :/

I imagine it's pretty hard to get rid of someone's ears for a part. You'd have to digitally remove them which is likely too costly just for a minor character.

So it looks like Stannis and Davos will be going to Braavos to meet with Tycho. Very interesting. Will he go with them to the wall to meet Jon or will they cut that bit?

I think that they'll just set that plot line up, with Tycho initially refusing Stannis. Then in S5 (or possibly S4? Do we know how many episodes Gattis is in?) he goes to KL and gets snubbed, so he goes up North instead. From then on things play out like in the book.

If they wanted to inject some suspense into that storyline they could have it ambiguous as to whether or not the IB would pay for the voyage to the Wall. Then leave Stannis out until the Battle of the Wall so his arrival is actually something of a surprise.

I think Konrad's on to something. Basically the IB will fund the move on the Wall (makes sense to leave it up in the air if they do or not, and then boom, there they are), and maybe then Tycho shows up again later to hash out further stuff, and then meets Jon, etc.

I think Konrad's on to something. Basically the IB will fund the move on the Wall (makes sense to leave it up in the air if they do or not, and then boom, there they are), and maybe then Tycho shows up again later to hash out further stuff, and then meets Jon, etc.

I think we still need a full refusal by the Lannisters in order to get the Bank fully on Stannis' side, but that could happen next season.

That route would squish my theory about Stannis capturing Asha though. As obviously the geography means that he'd go to Braavos before sailing by the Weeping River.

^Mark Gatiss's CV says he's going to be in more than one episode (it says "various" under directors) so I think we may see him in King's Landing as well. I imagine if he showed up in KL and had to put up with the post-PW panic mode and saw that the Master of Coin was locked up and Littlefinger was no longer there, that would be enough for the IB to lose faith in the Lannisters.

I was kind of worried when they cast Pedro Pascal just because I loved Oberyn from the books so much but he looks like he's gonna be totally awesome as the Red Viper. All that continues to worry me is how bad the duel looks. If Gregor was wearing his helmet and gauntlets and if they were fighting in a less glamorous area with a crowd around them, then I'd be pretty psyched about it.

^The on the set shows that Gregor IS wearing a helmet, at least at first. It looks like a black half helm to me with a chainmail thing around his neck. But he does start off with a helm.

If you're discouraged about the duel I don't know what could be said to reassure you. It's being directed by Alex Graves (most likely at least, it seems like it'll be in ep. eight) who also did the Beric v. Hound duel.

BTW, about Conan Stevens, the guy that replaced him in the Hobbit (or the guy who plays Azog, not entirely sure ATM) stated that he was replacing a seven foot actor who wasn't very good. For some reason I'm unable to paste links, so I can't find the exact version, but it does point to a common theme, doesn't it? (Not that Ian Whyte was better.)

Yes this quite clever.

So long ago, I don't remember, in the books we know , well, a fair amount about the IB, but I was always hazy about how Stannis got the 'Calvary' to the rescue. I mean it not like I he couldn't but it seemed to me he had to assemble a lot of resources he didn't have at hand. In the long run maybe, but his arrival at the Wall seems almost like deus ex machina.

Odd thing here, and I may be misremembering again, seems to me tho we do know a little about the Iron Bank of Braavos we only meet Noho Dimittis (is he cast?) and Tycho Nestoris.

Also even tho a lot of time in the later books is spent in Braavos I don't think we are ever inside it?

Do we see it from the outside?

So that's a set that even GRRM has not described yet.

Makes one wonder if there will be a CGI Braavos? and if Braavos will appear in the intro?

Archived