Fox's Fantastic Four reboot

Bastard of Boston

Not interested in this at all. I actually think I would have preferred Ronan to Mara, that girl can act.

How soon is the property up for grabs though?

I know some said that Amazing Spider-Man had to hit theaters ASAP or else Marvel got that back... But SM3 was in 2007 with TAS in 2012; while Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer was also in 2007.

I'd like to see Marvel get their hands on FF, if only for their rogues gallery.

I'm pretty sure I read, at one point, that FF had an 8 year license, while Spider-Man's was only 5 year. Which would put them both right at the limit.

They're teens in the Ultimates Version at an Academy for the Gifted.

But wouldn't it have made more sense to go with a black actor for the Thing?

That's racist. But seriously, I do think Jordan has the personality for the Human Torch, so it's good that the best person for the part got the part.

That's racist. But seriously, I do think Jordan has the personality for the Human Torch, so it's good that the best person for the part got the part.

I just mean because Sue and Johnny are related. And Reed has a pretty iconic look - though I guess if they are teens it matters less.

Reed could be a light skinned Arab guy though - IIRC that's what he was in the original movie.

So the Thing is Billy Elliott now?

There's a Bollywood dance number planned. They needed his dance skills for the mo-cap. :)

Add me to the meh crowd. Never cared for the comics or the previous movies. I'll wait to see actual footage before deciding, of course, but this could fall into Ghost Rider or Punisher territory for me (never bothered to watch them).

• 8 months later...

I don't have a problem with the name change. Being a computer geek is more worrying.

The Fantastic Four and inherently geeky - if they don't like that don't use the name and make "chronicle 2".

The good thing is that I doubt this one will do very well and they'll give up and let marvel have them back.

It does seem like the director hates his source material, enough so that he told his actors not to bother researching the comics because that is not what the movie is like. FF, like Superman, is not a good candidate for gritty "realism".

Didn't Trank (or the writer of chronicle) pronounce superheros as crap anyhow? It just seems like a ridiculous pairing. He doesn't have to direct a FF film and from everything I've heard, he's not going to. At this point I wouldn't even bet they have the same powers. On what grounds could MArvel say "This isn't a FF film meaning you haven't made one in "x" years. We want the property back" ?

Didn't Trank (or the writer of chronicle) pronounce superheros as crap anyhow? It just seems like a ridiculous pairing. He doesn't have to direct a FF film and from everything I've heard, he's not going to. At this point I wouldn't even bet they have the same powers. On what grounds could MArvel say "This isn't a FF film meaning you haven't made one in "x" years. We want the property back" ?

I'm guessing that would be hard. It's not necessarily a bad strategy though I suspect at this point Marvel might as well just wait for the the property to be well associated with failure before trying to buy it back. Same with Spiderman. They already have the next 4-5 years planned out so they have time to watch these properties be dragged through the mud before rescuing them.

Right now I can't see how Doom ends up with powers. Are the rest of the 4 still going into space?

I didn't think Fox could fuck up the F4 more than they did with the previous movies, but looks like they're going to. Unbelievable.

Fox heard that sentiment and their response was: Challenge accepted.

The absolute best thing about the Fantastic Four is Doom. Doom has an absurdly awesome back story, tons of character development and is an amazingly modern villain - a villain with great motivations, pride, character and intelligence.

How do you fuck that up that bad?

The absolute best thing about the Fantastic Four is Doom. Doom has an absurdly awesome back story, tons of character development and is an amazingly modern villain - a villain with great motivations, pride, character and intelligence.

Twice??

I'm guessing that would be hard. It's not necessarily a bad strategy though I suspect at this point Marvel might as well just wait for the the property to be well associated with failure before trying to buy it back. Same with Spiderman. They already have the next 4-5 years planned out so they have time to watch these properties be dragged through the mud before rescuing them.

That's actually not a bad idea. They have everything mapped out for the next decade and are honestly scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of the properties, what an awesome shot in the arm that would be for their franchise if they could launch their own Spiderman/X-men/F4 films as part of Phase 4.

Fox heard that sentiment and their response was: Challenge accepted.

:lol:

Barney Stinson would be proud. (Speaking of... NPH wouldn't be half bad as Dr. Doom :idea: )

Exactly! Look Fox, it's very simple. Victor Von Doom was born the son of gypsies, his mother a witch killed by the Devil when he was a boy and his father a medicine man, killed by the ruler of Latveria. He followed in both of their footsteps, learning both science and the occult and ended up attending Empire State University, where he developed a life-long antipathy to his well-meaning roommate, RICHARDS!!!!

After disfiguring his face building a machine that he built to talk to the dead, he wandered the world until he came upon a Tibetan monastery, which he took over by strength of will, had a suit of high-tech armor forged, and then went back to Europe and managed to take over Latveria.

I mean, c'mon it's simple... JUST FILM THAT, amiright?

That said, this adaptation looks like it's going to be a dumpster fire.

I didn't think Fox could fuck up the F4 more than they did with the previous movies, but looks like they're going to. Unbelievable.

It's always worth waiting to know more about the final product before saying stuff like this.

I imagine the current direction is precisely about avoiding the fuck ups of the previous 2 shitpiles. Take the ideas and go the opposite direction with it. More grounded, more realistic, less cartoony. I imagine they did not hire the director of Chronicle by accident.

Whether this will actually work is anyone's guess.

Thing and Johnny Storm were perfectly cast in the first movies and they still managed to suck balls. Michael B Jordan seems like a good Johnny Storm, Miles Teller showed some chops in The Spectacular Now, and I've always liked Jamie Bell even when he's in bad movies so I'm reserving judgment on this one. It is Fox though so I feel free to begin judging at any time.

Archived