Fox's Fantastic Four reboot

Bastard of Boston

Man I wish the Fantastic 4 was with Marvel. They would fit in really well with the current MCU (Not this cast, the characters). They could have a great crossover with GOTG, and seeing the Civil War split them up would be an emotional gut punch. Sigh...if only Marvel had come up with the idea for a vast cinematic universe before Marvel sold off their characters to avoid bankruptcy.

Man I wish the Fantastic 4 was with Marvel. They would fit in really well with the current MCU (Not this cast, the characters). They could have a great crossover with GOTG, and seeing the Civil War split them up would be an emotional gut punch. Sigh...if only Marvel had come up with the idea for a vast cinematic universe before Marvel sold off their characters to avoid bankruptcy.

It's a mixed bag. The only way Marvel was ever going to afford its own studio was following the massive success of the first two X movies and Spider-Man.

The only way --IMO-- this franchise can work is in the larger Marvel universe... I think that after this movie bombs, maybe FOX & Marvel can work something out a la Sony w/ Spiderman... I think both companies can benefit

I really don't. I think the Fantastic Four has a large enough world of its own to make several great movies (they have really varied villains/worlds to their franchise). The interaction with the MCU would just be icing in my opinion.

I do think Marvel would probably approach the franchise in a way that would make it a hit (FF might be a hit but the Marvel formula works).

I'm becoming a little wary of the shared universe reaching a point where it limits the individual films. I personally feel there was far too much "to be continued in THor:Ragnarok, Cap3, who knows where else" in Ultron. Time that could have been used serving the film in question. This happened to an even greater extent in IM2. It's not ruining films yet but it's getting to a point where they need to rein it in.

It's a mixed bag. The only way Marvel was ever going to afford its own studio was following the massive success of the first two X movies and Spider-Man.

The bad luck was in them selling the rights before they knew how successful X-men and Spidey (basically spidey though)were going to be. I guess the FF were sold before spidey as they have the same shitty deal they struck with X-men in that they don't get any cut of the merchandising. It's why the comics/games wing don't bother promoting either anymore. They promote Spidey because they get a cut (and now have him in their films). I guess Wolverine still pops up because he sells things to an extent that outweighs the Fox issue. It's why I could imagine Marvel targeting Wolverine of they couldn't get the X-men back. Then again the X-films are doing pretty well.

The bad luck was in them selling the rights before they knew how successful X-men and Spidey (basically spidey though)were going to be. I guess the FF were sold before spidey as they have the same shitty deal they struck with X-men in that they don't get any cut of the merchandising. It's why the comics/games wing don't bother promoting either anymore.

I think the FF film rights were sold very early. IIRC there's a Roger Corman-produced FF movie from the early 90s that was never meant to be released, it was just produced so the rights wouldn't revert back to Marvel, meaning the deal was probably made even earlier.

The preview for this was one of the primary ones in front of Avengers when I went to see that...It looks soooooooo awful...just when you thought the other two films couldn't be redeemed...

The preview for this was one of the primary ones in front of Avengers when I went to see that...It looks soooooooo awful...just when you thought the other two films couldn't be redeemed...

I thought it looked pretty decent.

• 2 months later...

This film seems to be trying to modernise it. But at the end of the day how can you? They show up in the comics kind of because they have to, but no one really wants them there.

I have pretty much decided, bar an unbelievably good film, I want a total bomb, and for the rights to revert. Not for the heroes, I'd be totally happy never seeing another live adaptation of the four, but for the villains.

Apparently there is a review embargo until a little over a day before the first showing.  That can't be a good sign surely?

The problem with the FF franchise, imo, is they never made an attempt to modernize it. It's like they're stuck in the 60s. Even the name is lame.

The comic had some great runs- Jonathan Hickman's run between 2008-2012 is quite likely the best thing written at Marvel in the last decade at least. Hell, it's a contender for best thing ever written at Marvel, period.

And what made it work was it did modernize the concept- it expanded the family from 4 people and 2 kids to dozens of them, from the FF kids (seems ridiculous in hindsight no one had ever made the F4 teach the next generation) to Spider-Man and T'challa and the future Franklin and Valeria- while not being afraid to tell massive stories throwing every character out there balancing it with smaller ones, and had a lot of heart.

The problem with the movies is that (well, besides the poor casting) is that they are clearly afraid or embarrassed of the comics origins, and are running away from the big concepts- Doom is a blogger or some shady CEO, doesn't address magic at all, Galactus is a cloud, etc.

That's one thing Marvel hasn't been afraid of and I think it's part of the reason of the success- they are not ashamed of their origins and to look a little ridiculous.

The comic had some great runs- Jonathan Hickman's run between 2008-2012 is quite likely the best thing written at Marvel in the last decade at least. Hell, it's a contender for best thing ever written at Marvel, period.

And what made it work was it did modernize the concept- it expanded the family from 4 people and 2 kids to dozens of them, from the FF kids (seems ridiculous in hindsight no one had ever made the F4 teach the next generation) to Spider-Man and T'challa and the future Franklin and Valeria- while not being afraid to tell massive stories throwing every character out there balancing it with smaller ones, and had a lot of heart.

The problem with the movies is that (well, besides the poor casting) is that they are clearly afraid or embarrassed of the comics origins, and are running away from the big concepts- Doom is a blogger or some shady CEO, doesn't address magic at all, Galactus is a cloud, etc.

That's one thing Marvel hasn't been afraid of and I think it's part of the reason of the success- they are not ashamed of their origins and to look a little ridiculous.

I can see how that would be a problem. I guess outdated really isn't the word. To me they're just.. bland. Especially compared to other super hero teams. Boring backstory, boring name, boring uniforms, boring powers, etc.

I can see how that would be a problem. I guess outdated really isn't the word. To me they're just.. bland. Especially compared to other super hero teams. Boring backstory, boring name, boring uniforms, boring powers, etc.

Well, say they're bland is somewhat of a case of Seinfeld is Unfunny. They even mention as an example in the tropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SeinfeldIsUnfunny/ComicBooks

I'll give you "Fantastic Four" hasn't aged well but I disagree with boring uniforms and powers. The uniforms are well designed and the mixture of powers within the team work well (even if individual powers with the possible exception of Sue Storm and the Thing aren't original)

Guys... I just realised: this film is out in four days... The lack of buzz is astounding. I'll go see it, but can't see how this'll succeed.

Is it really???? I had no clue. Antman still has commercials running, but I have yet to see one for FF.

Is it really???? I had no clue. Antman still has commercials running, but I have yet to see one for FF.

The UK is trying to sell it at least. Everywhere in London and noticed it a few times in Bristol on buses etc.

I'm glad Marvel comics "master plan" came to fruition (they seemed to think that not having an FF comic out would harm the film whereas it just made comic fans talk about the film more)

I wouldn't be going to see it until the discount Mon/Tue tickets  anyway so it gives me time to see what reviews are like for it.

It would be great to know which FF characters belong to Fox - as you say I think the MCU can get by without the FF but the villains and side characters would certainly be good to have over at Marvel. They clearly have Black Panther and Inhumans - Antman suggests they may have the microverse (maybe the villains from there?)

Archived