Blackfyres Examined

sleath56

It has been oft said in the books that a Lion of different cloaks is still a Lion, and a Dragon of any color is still a dragon.

Brief History: The Blackfyres were a legitimized cadet branch of House Targaryen. They can claim direct blood relation to Aegon the Conqueror and all Targaryen kings up to Aegon IV. The Blackfyres held possession the ancient Targaryen sword, Blackfyre (hence their house name).

Blackfyres of mention:

Daemon I was the first Blackfyre and the oldest of the Great Bastards of Aegon IV. After recieving the sword, Blackfyre, he was legitimized at deathbed. He pushed his claim for the throne and lost.

I don't comprehend the almost personal level of hate for them by some people in this forum.

Mostly when people talk about Daemon winning the rebellion, or Young Griff taking the IT theories.

For Young Griff, one of the main arguments against him taking the IT seems to be "Oh, but he's a Blackfyre"

Can someone explain to me why they are just so bad?

I don't think discussing Aegon's heritage indicates any sort of hate towards Blackfyres in general. Typically, discussing Aegon's parentage has to do with determining the schemes of several other key players, such as Illyrio and Varys, or figuring out how Aegon's presence in Westeros will effect other players in the game of thrones (like the Lannisters or Dany when she arrives) or debating claims and succession rights. Disagreements within these topics about Aegon rarely have to deal with hate for Blackfyres. They are simply discussions and disagreements. The only time I've ever seen someone post "Aegon can't be king because he's a Blackfyre" are in topics debating succession rights and claims. I've seen specific comments directed towards Aegon's unsuitability to be king based on his behavior.

Other than this, I don't really know what you are talking about. Like I mentioned above, examples would be helpful in this examination. What specific threads led you to believe there is rampant and unreasonable Blackfyre hate? Can you link to specific posts that inspired this thread? It's quite common to see explicit Targaryen hate, but I just haven't come across too much explicit Blackfyre hate.

Yeah, not really seeing this either. The best explanation for this (in my eyes purely hypothetical) dislike I can offer is that Aegon stands in the way of Jon's hypothetical claim as Rhaegar's son. But aside from that? Many people, including me, don't really like Aegon for the way he acts. This has nothing to do with the Blackfyres though.

From what I can gather, Daemon I Blackfyre was a pretty awesome guy and was loved by many. I think most Targs are mad or stupid or both.

Daemon Blackfyre while a prodigious warrior with some chivalry, surrounded himself with "yes" men, and started a war to crown himself king, with a large reason being Daenerys was being married off to the Prince of Dorne, not because Daeron was a tyrant or unjust governance.

If Aegon is a Blackfyre then I doubt Dany will let him sit the IT. Also, it would mean Varys and Illyrio's plan that included so much death and destruction was allowed to succeed. Finally, it would be sloppy writing for someone like GRRM, to have a character pop out of nowhere all of a sudden in ADwD to sit the IT in the end.

Daemon Blackfyre while a prodigious warrior with some chivalry, who surrounded himself with "yes" men, and started a war to crown himself king, with a large reason being Daenerys was being married off to the Prince of Dorne, not because Daeron was a tyrant or unjust governance.

Meh if history is written by the victors could the claim that Daeron isn't Aegons son be true? Seems to be a pretty big thing that was swept under the rug compared to his other claims. Would make Stannis's WW quote have a sense of irony to it too.

Meh if history is written by the victors could the claim that Daeron isn't Aegons son be true? Seems to be a pretty big thing that was swept under the rug compared to his other claims. Would make Stannis's WW quote have a sense of irony to it too.

Egg said that Bittersteel and Fireball were among the men who kept company with Daemon, and told him that he should be king. GRRM it was after the news of Dany being married off that Daemon started really considering becoming king. As for Daeron's paternity, Daemon spread that rumor to legitimize his claim, otherwise he would just be a rebel usurper.

If Aegon is a Blackfyre then I doubt Dany will let him sit the IT. Also, it would mean Varys and Illyrio's plan that included so much death and destruction was allowed to succeed. Finally, it would be sloppy writing for someone like GRRM, to have a character pop out of nowhere all of a sudden in ADwD to sit the IT in the end.

I don't think it will END with Aegon on the IT, but I don't think he won't sit it at all either.

Eta: also.....Aegon feels out-of-nowhere because we have the read the books across such spans. The story has not even climaxed yet (or has it? Could be a matter if opinion), so book 5 out of 7 still leaves a lot of room.

Daemon Blackfyre is my favorite unseen character. What a bad ass. I think the answer to your question has to deal with the Targaryen's having won the battles throughout history and have been able to portray the Blackfyres as the "pretenders." History is written by the winners. If Daemon won, he would have been the "rightful" King and his predecessor the pretender. They would probably bank on the rumor that the King was actually Aemon the Dragonknight's incestuous love child.

Archived