Why do people like Dany?

Laime Jannister

I am a Stannis fan, and for the life of me I cannot understand why some people desire Dany to take back the Iron Throne. So for Dany fans, why do you like her?

To start discussion, I'll state some basic reasons why I like Stannis and my impression of Dany. While both feel entitled to take what is theirs, Stannis lived his life in the shadow of his brothers, performing his duty and not expecting to be king. However, when the time came to be King, he performed his duty, and took up the mantle as arbiter of justice and protector of the peace. In return, he expects his subjects to perform their duties, to be loyal and obedient to their King. For Stannis, a King is a profession, requiring judgement and competence, and he seems to understand the weight of this responsibility.

While Stannis seems to embody Kingship, Danaerys lacks many of these qualities. Granted, she is only a young girl, while Stannis has had years of experience, however the power vested in a King and the judgement and competence needed to govern doesn't change whether you're thirteen or thirty (I recognise that Dany could always delegate to more experienced governors, however she seems to enjoy a hands-on role in governing). With Dany the amount of power vested in her hands grows with the strength of her dragons, and given her experience with them so far, she does not seem to be able to control them as she should.

Given these two personalities, as well as the questionable mental condition of Danaerys, I cannot in good conscience see the appeal of Dany being Azor Ahai, as Queen in Meereen, or sitting on the Iron Throne.

So Dany fans, why do you like her?

Because Emilia Clarke is good looking

I'm certain that's the primary reason anyone likes her at all. Mostly people who fall in love with a pretty face and a significantly watered down character; though the character redux includes not hearing her say "sun and stars" every 15 minutes in her POV so I'd say this is an overall improvement over GRRM's version of the character

Weak attempt at trolling.

That sense of justice, that being duty bound to lead and sit on the throne - all this is just as true for Daenerys as it is for Stannis. Stannis lacks compassion, Daenerys has it. And I don't see anything in the text to suggest that the mental condition of Daenerys is unsound.

Archived