Why do people like Dany? (2)

Laime Jannister

Generally restarting locked threads is a bad idea unless they were locked due to reaching 21 pages.

I was going to say in the other thread that it's a testament to GRRM's writing that people IRL take sides and practically fight wars about who the best monarch is... kind of poetic

Generally restarting locked threads is a bad idea unless they were locked due to reaching 21 pages.

I was going to say in the other thread that it's a testament to GRRM's writing that people IRL take sides and practically fight wars about who the best monarch is... kind of poetic

On locked threads, I would agree, however I didn't think anything was "wrong" with my thread topic. I searched for a previous topic on "why people like Dany" with no similar results.

Perhaps it was the way I phrased the topic (or my thoughts on it). So I'm restarting it in an absolute neutral fashion, because I'm legitimately curious to see what reasons people enjoy Dany's character, her character arc, or other things about her that make them consider themselves "fans" of her. As a similar thread was started specifically about Stannis, I want to start one about specifically about Danaerys.

You were clearly baiting people, brah.

On locked threads, I would agree, however I didn't think anything was "wrong" with my thread topic. I searched for a previous topic on "why people like Dany" with no similar results.

Perhaps it was the way I phrased the topic (or my thoughts on it). So I'm restarting it in an absolute neutral fashion, because I'm legitimately curious to see what reasons people enjoy Dany's character, her character arc, or other things about her that make them consider themselves "fans" of her. As a similar thread was started specifically about Stannis, I want to start one about specifically about Danaerys.

My post is so much better than yours. Here is why my favourite post is better, and why your favourite post sucks.

It's baiting. You may not have intended it, but that's how it comes across.

I used to like her, up until she started making stupid decisions. As to why I liked her, I think at the start I thought she might be the hero of the story.

I think this is pretty close to the reason. Dany starts as an extremely sympathetic character. She doesn't have power and she's obviously grown up abused by her brother and then sold into an unknown culture.

If the story started off with her entering Astapor I'd bet far fewer people would like her...

But the events before are still valid reasons to like her, and people may acknowledge she's done some bad stuff recently and still think she'll turn it around and become the best monarch or hero.

She's an extremely well written character. She's not a typical fantasy hero that does the "right" thing at every step. She's the perfect shade of grey for me. She's one of the most compassionate characters, but she's also quite a badass, and can be ruthless to her enemies.

And the idea people only like her because she's attractive is offensive, and ridiculous. I am not a Sansa, Val, Arianne, etc. fan.

It's pretty heavy what she's doing, being the last of her family left, loosening the wrath of the Targaryens on the world/Westeros/Usurpers. I don't always agree with what she does but I can't blame her for trying to get back what would once have been her family's. Wouldn't we all try something like that, even when our family had been disfunctional? I'm not so much of fan of Dany as I'm of Stannis, but I can see the appeal.

I'm not a fan of her, but people mainly tend to like her because she has Dragons, and because she's hot, which makes them see through her stupidity, and psychopathy.

No. Fans of the TV series maybe, not so much fans of the books. Try the fact that she's a sympathetic character who actually tries to make the lives of the disadvantaged better. She may not succeed, but then again she is immature and poorly advised. I wouldn't really describe myself as a 'fan' of hers, despite the fact I often seem to find myself defending her. While I like her, I don't deny that she does stupid things. However, I don't think it's really fair to only hold her to account and ignore everyone else's crimes. ASOIAF isn't clear cut. There are no truly good or evil characters. There are perhaps those who try to do good, and I give her credit for trying. Not to mention that from a Utiltarian or Consequentialist viewpoint her campaign in Slaver's bay might end up vaguely justified. Either way, vilifying her for causing a war, while praising Littlefinger or whoever is just hypocritical.

I am a simple man. I like good guys and hate bad guys. (Though that can sometimes be a tad debatable.)

Dany was a victim in the first book, sympathetic and caring, but she grew up to be a queen and a conqueror. I liked her a lot in aGoT and aCoK and aSoS, because she struck me as a hero of some sort. She listened to her people and did everything to help them and was kind and merciful to the suffering.

Then she decided to conquer Meereen, which wasn't a bad idea itself, but then she proceeded to stumble from one folly to another. Staying there, locking up the dragons, marrying Hizdhar, refusing Quentyn, bedding Daario, not listening to advisors, opening the fighting pits...

But she's still Dany. I don't hate people because they mess up, I hate them because they're bad people. Dany has a kind heart, some modesty, a sense of humor and she's always emphatic to other people's pain. While she is not as wise as she thinks she is, I still respect and like her as a character.

Ah yes, forgot this part: my fondness of Dany has absolutely nothing to do with how she or Emilia Clarke looks. I read the books before seeing the show. Yes, I liked Dany before she was cool.

She's an extremely well written character. One of the most "real" in the story. She's not a typical fantasy hero that never does anything wrong, or does the "right" thing at every step. She's the perfect shade of grey for me, she's one of the most compassionate characters, but she's also is quite a badass and can be ruthless to her enemies.

And the idea people only like her because she's attractive is offensive, and ridiculous. I am not a Sansa, Val, Arianne, etc. fan.

Interesting... My impression of her is that she is a sympathetic character initially, and because we get a biased view into her world and her problems (she is a POV character after all), we delve into a character and character transformation throughout the series in a way we don't with any other characters. I think though, that it is because of that fact, that I am a harsh critic on her character transformation, and I see it as negative. The sympathy that I might feel for her plight is eclipsed by my being shocked at how she makes decisions as a Queen.

I usually like contrasting Dany with Stannis, however when Stannis carries out an order, I see it as steely and strong, while Dany looks indecisive and uncertain. Specifically, I cite her decisions over life and death (and her consequent rationalising of punishments, like crucifixions), as an example of this.

It is interesting though, that I am less critical of Stannis than Dany, when I should be more open and sympathetic to her decision making process, as you are correct, Dany is more "real" than any other characters we see. In part I think it is because we see only Stannis outward appearance, and not his internal anguish, while we see both Dany's outward "Queen persona" as well as her inner conflicts.

Archived