Why do people like Dany? (2)

Laime Jannister

I will try to answer seriously. Because she is an idealist and cares about people. She is willing to risk herself, her well being and her goals to do something good in this world. She gives a shit... and it means alot in my book. She doesn't give in to all "nay sayers" who try to turn her towards the usual nihilistic "it cannot be done...it is too messy, leave it be and look for your own interests" aproach.

Sure, she is conflicted, confused with her priorities, not too sophisticated and learned to "see trough BS", makes bunch of mistakes, jumps from one extreme aproach to another,,,, but in the end her heart is in a right place, and given time, experiance and good concil I hope she will find the "middle way" .

I don't read to make friends of fictional characters.

I read to be entertained, to learn more about the world and myself and others. So I really don't mind flawed and even evil characters. Sometimes, those are the ones I admire the most.

That being said, I have no dog in the fight for the Iron Throne. I'm just enjoying the story. And I think the story is so much better because Daenerys is in it. Some of the best moments of ASOIAF involve her directly or indirectly.

And yes, she makes lots of mistakes, she does some pretty gruesome stuff, and she doesn't behave like a lot of us would like her to behave. And you know what? I like that in her, as I like that in most people I know.

I don't believe she is evil, nor do I see any signs that she is being affected by the proverbial (and in my opinion overrated) Targaryen madness. She is a person going through some very challenging circumstances.

As for Stannis, to whom she is often compared, he is far from the flawless hero some people seem to take him for. And that's one of the reasons I like him.

I will try to answer seriously. Because she is an idealist and cares about people. She is willing to risk herself, her well being and her goals to do something good in this world. She gives a shit... and it means alot in my book. She doesn't give in to all "nay sayers" who try to turn her towards the usual nihilistic "it cannot be done...it is too messy, leave it be and look for your own interests" aproach.

Sure, she is conflicted, confused with her priorities, not too sophisticated and learned to "see trough BS", makes bunch of mistakes, jumps from one extreme aproach to another,,,, but in the end her heart is in a right place, and given time, experiance and good concil I hope she will find the "middle way" .

Thanks.

Im a more negative nancy on the idealist vision she has, not because I dont agree with her overall goal, but because I think she has no idea what she's doing, and in the end she will get in over her head and do more harm than good. I have tunnel vision and its difficult for me to see past that. While others might see her internal emotional struggle and appreciate how that contributes to or hinders her struggle against slavery, I guess I sorta ignore that.

Ha. Your contribution was definitely needed. I'll expand on that, she also crucifies people and a lot of people on here hate her intensely which causes me to like her more than I did.

Well I dont like her in part for the reason you cited, but whenever there are threads on slavery or Dany vs Stannis or Mirri's prophecy there are always individuals who defend her, and her decisions and decision making processes. So not everyone hates her, and I want to hear from those people.

Hmm a lot of people also hate Joffrey and Gregor, do you like them then?

I enjoy Gregor. Joffrey, no. I meant certain people who hate her for ridiculous reasons and have condescending arguments against people who do like her, which I've seen a lot on here. Usually Dany vs. Stannis fans, I happen to like both characters.

I enjoy Gregor. Joffrey, no. I meant certain people who hate her for ridiculous reasons and have condescending arguments against people who do like her, which I've seen a lot on here. Usually Dany vs. Stannis fans, I happen to like both characters.

Well literally almost every character gets shit for ridiculous stuff, so IMO Dany is no special and also every character has condescending posters.

Well literally almost every character gets shit for ridiculous stuff, so IMO Dany is no special and also every character has condescending posters.

Agree.

I guess what I meant was that I liked her before I came onto these forums and seeing how many people disliked her here was a surprise. Seeing most reasons for the dislike made me just like her more because I didn't agree with most of what was said. While some of it might be true, I just don't care that she might've crucified some innocent people or is another power hungry Targ who might go crazy. The biggest hit on Dany with me was that her chapters in ADWD were boring.

Well for one she's interesting, and I like tragic characters.

She subverts many overused cliches about the fantasy princess (now Queen) and whenever she lands in Westeros, she'll bring with her death and drama, which is bound to amplify my interest in the character.

I like Dany. She's complicated, heroic, flawed, a victim, a villain, impulsive, idealistic, vengeful, human. In a world that's prejudiced against her gender, she's been exiled, fought back against oppressors like her brother and husband; she's risked her life to obtain something thought impossible, in a way she's the ultimate under-dog.

Then again, I like Cersei too. Shoot me.

Archived