Carry on...

#2 alienarea

alienarea

Singer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

I just want to know how it ends, and I don't care if it is books or tv show first. Of course I'll be watching.

I started with the books before watching the tv show, and IMHO most changes on the show were for the better.

#3 Queen of Whores

Queen of Whores

Pimp of all Sultry Dornish Ladies

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

I watched the first two seasons and loved them (season 1 more than 2 of course) before I read all five books right after each other. It's a testament to George's books that even me, someone who was introduced to ASoIaF through the show, would rather not watch the show but read the books first. I will not have such sure-to-be amazing moments like the battle of Winterfell be ruined for me in the show's sure-to-be mediocre and disappointing portrayal of it.

#4 Sarah Lannister

Sarah Lannister

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

Well....if the show starts to really depart from the books in season 4/5/6....sure.  I probably will anyways.

#5 Ignorant Bog Woman

Ignorant Bog Woman

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

Well, I started watching the show first, so the choice is easy for me. I also don't see how one could realistically avoid spoilers if they choose to wait for the books, in this day and age; good luck to any who go this route.

It is an issue, though. I can't help but feel that we'll be getting the heavily watered-down version of whatever makes it to the screen before it's on page, as we have with most of the show in general. I suppose it'll make the book all the more richer for the details, but it definitely takes some of the impact away.

#6 WiDMNDBAMMD

WiDMNDBAMMD

Council Member

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:54 AM

I don't think the show deserves to be punished for overtaking the books. I'll continue to support it and hopefully millions of other people will too.

#7 Queen of Whores

Queen of Whores

Pimp of all Sultry Dornish Ladies

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

I don't think the show deserves to be punished for overtaking the books. I'll continue to support it and hopefully millions of other people will too.

I'm not gonna not watch the show to punish it, but because it's simply not even close to the level of quality and complexity the books are, and I'd rather experience the story in it's fullest form, not a watered down version.

#8 Stan the Man Baratheon

Stan the Man Baratheon

Only Stannis!

• Members
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:57 AM

I won't watch the show. 

#9 WiDMNDBAMMD

WiDMNDBAMMD

Council Member

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

I'm not gonna not watch the show to punish it, but because it's simply not even close to the level of quality and complexity the books are, and I'd rather experience the story in it's fullest form, not a watered down version.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to live long enough to see the books finished, so I'll take a watered down ending to a story over no ending at all.

#10 Fire Rides

Fire Rides

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

I watched the first three seasons before I started reading the books, so you'd probably think that this is an easy choice for me but it's actually not. To my surprise, I got more enjoyment out of reading the books than I did watching it! I'd ideally like to read the end of the series before watching it, but I think the temptation and the risk of spoilers from the show would be too much to handle! So, yes, I probably would watch it.

#11 ebevan91

ebevan91

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

I'd watch. I'd rather see how it all ends by watching the TV show, than not watching it, and having people on the internet, or IRL, spoil it for me.

#12 Lorelei

Lorelei

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:27 AM

I'd rather watch it than not. I wouldn't like that everyone else who watches the show and doesn't read the books would know how it all ended potentially years before I could read it for myself. I'd rather watch it for myself rather than trying to avoid spoilers for I don't know how long.

#13 Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

I would probably watch it to avoid spoilers since the show is so popular. Having said that, I really don't want the show to overtake the books.

#14 WiDMNDBAMMD

WiDMNDBAMMD

Council Member

• Members
  • 864 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:08 AM

I would probably watch it to avoid spoilers since the show is so popular. Having said that, I really don't want the show to overtake the books.

I think most every single person would agree with that, unfortunately there's only one single person that can do anything about it, well aside from suiciding the show on purpose.

#15 Fallout Dude

Fallout Dude

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:28 AM

How ironic would it be for the show to spoil the books ending after all the big early events were spoiled for a lot of TV viewers. I personally started reading the books after I had Ned's death spoiled.

Edited by Stinky Pinky, 31 January 2014 - 03:29 AM.

#16 ebevan91

ebevan91

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

How ironic would it be for the show to spoil the books ending after all the big early events were spoiled for a lot of TV viewers. I personally started reading the books after I had Ned's death spoiled.

Same here :/

I knew Ned was a goner because of thread titles I've seen on forums not even related to ASoIaF/GoT. This was before I had watched the show OR read the books. All I knew was that some guy named Ned died on some new HBO show. 

#17 Draco_Dracul

Draco_Dracul

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

To be fair, casting Sean Bean as Ned spoiled that point.

#18 alienarea

alienarea

Singer

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:19 AM

To be fair, casting Sean Bean as Ned spoiled that point.

Yes. I am still amazed Troy was not altered to kill Ulysses.

#19 Le Cygne

Le Cygne

The Swan

• Members
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

This will most likely be my last season of watching the show...  They aren't really doing the stories I want to see.

#20 Mr Fixit

Mr Fixit

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

This will most likely be my last season of watching the show... 

Yay! :drool:

Edited by Mr Fixit, 01 February 2014 - 02:42 PM.